Paul Naschy Double Feature on BluRay

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Reverenddave, Oct 12, 2007.

1. Reverenddave

Reverenddave Member

According to HighDef Digest, BCI plans to release NIGHT OF THE WEREWOLF and VENGEANCE OF THE ZOMBIES as a BluRay double feature on January 8th. I'm pretty sure these two titles were previously announced for HD-DVD, but were never released.

Euro Horror Hits BluRay.......

2. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    Now this is crazy...I was holding off on Blu Ray until a Euro horror pic was released and here it is. But I'm still undecided.

3. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Hell I already own the SD-DVD's and I'll be buying these in a heart beat.

I would think HD-DVD releases are in the works for these too, Mirek Lipinski who did the liner notes indicated he thought HD-DVD was coming down the line. 'Course he's not exactly on the bat phone over at BCI or anything but I'd imagine he hears things. I checked a forum he frequents and nothing's been posted yet about this news.

4. zombi3

zombi3 Pure Evil

Yeah, WTF? :mad:

DVD Empire has them for pre-order on HD DVD, but no release date. I hope they're not cancelled.

5. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    So...the newest "to be" versions will have uncompressed sound, is that it?

6. zombi3

zombi3 Pure Evil

7. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

...huh. BCI's been real good about sending off press releases for HD, but for this one title only retailers have been informed a couple of weeks in advance? I'll give DVDEmpire the benefit of the doubt but I still suspect this won't be coming out 12/11.

8. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I just watched Night of the Werewolf and it was spectacular. It was a little soft but I'd say it looked better than Christmas Story on my 52". It'll be interesting to see how Vengeance of the Zombies holds up as well.

9. Jason25

Jason25 Moderator

Very nice. My copy shipped from Amazon but I won't have it until early next week. Looking forward to checking these out soon.

10. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I was able to watch Vengeance of the Zombies and while not as good as Werewolf it's still damn good looking. What the HD really does is take away the video look and give some depth to the backgrounds. For some reason my disc seemed to skip a few seconds here or there, only affecting the video though. Audio played through cleanly. So I'd be interested Jason if you have the same problem.

11. Vlachio

Vlachio Guest

Im soooooo tempted by this release. Prior to buying a bluray player I'd like to see more releases. Still I'm very tempted.

12. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I checked The Latarnia Forums, run by Mirek Lipinski who did the liner notes, and while there's a thread with several viewers all experiencing the same problem neither Mirek or the BCI representatives who post there have commented yet. They MUST be aware of this, as it's well documents on Mirek's forum. Hopefully they'll fix this, as Night of the Werewolf is one of my favorites.

I also noticed that when I first picked up the disc I started unconsciously humming Zombie's theme music. :D

13. Jason25

Jason25 Moderator

I just checked these out yesterday, and yes, it does skip from time to time. I wasn't real happy about that.

Both films did look quite good though, hopefully they'll step up and do the right thing.

14. Noto

Noto Guest

Damn, I just got this in the mail today and won't have a chance to check it out until tomorrow. Do both discs skip?

15. Jason25

Jason25 Moderator

I didn't notice it but once or twice on Night but it was worse on Vengeance. It is quick when it happens but you definitely notice it, which is distracting.

16. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I didn't notice it on Werewolf but others have, I'm sure if I saw it again I'd spot it. It's hard to miss on Zombie it happens so often. Reports seem to be coming from PS3 owners, is that what you watched it on Jason? That's what I watched it on.

If you have something besides a PS3 Noto it'd be interesting to hear from you if you had any problems.

17. Noto

Noto Guest

Sadly, I only have the PS3 to play my Blus on. I'll check tomorrow, and if it's that bad I'll probably do a complete review on my site as well just to get the word circulating more.

18. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Ill have to rent this from netflix to check out on my PS3- I havent seen either movie so seeing them first on blu-ray should be pretty cool

19. Vlachio

Vlachio Guest

So all of the discs are defective? LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. Jason25

Jason25 Moderator

This was on a Panasonic player. It has been a great player, so I figured it a an issue with the disc and not the player.

Hopefully we'll hear something on this. There are many more Deimos/Bci/Eclipse titles that I'd like to get on Blu-ray, if they don't have the same issues this disc has.