Paranormal Activity

Discussion in 'General' started by Cujo108, Sep 10, 2009.

1. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

What I've read about the original ending that was shown in festivals makes it seem very anti-climactic. I prefer what was done with the wide-release ending, although the last frame is cheesy. If they actually filmed the rumored third ending (!) then I would want to see that as it sounds pretty good, but is maybe not the punch in the gut that the wide-releasing ending is.

2. Johnny Macabre

Johnny Macabre New Member

The ending I saw is described on the website Cujo108 linked.

It's the one with the police

The one they are using seems a little disspointing. But the third one looks awsome.

3. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

This does look pretty good. Hope it gets a wider release soon. I love stuff like this.

4. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I hope this doesn't end up being another Blair Witch!! A lot of hype and a crappy film.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo New Member

Most movies that get super-hyped on the Internet end up being disappointing. Remember Hatchet? Just about every horror site out there were lining up to suck Hatchet's dick before it was released, and it ended up being some mediocre piece of crap.

6. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I'm curious,I went to the site and "requested" it in my area,lets see if that works.

7. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

According to reports, the movie made $80,000 from 23 midnight showings this weekend. Not bad for a movie that only cost $15,000!

8. Gore Lunatic

Gore Lunatic Violenza Carnale

I love the paranormal and Blair Witch type movies so this film looks like its right up my alley. Although I have to admit that the trailer didn't look all that great to me. I'm still looking foward to seeing it.

9. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

10. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Well,it's getting closer to me but it's still a three hour drive.

11. DVDBone

DVDBone Member

Caught this last night at midnight in a packed theater (300+ people) and I think it lives up to the hype. It's everything that I wanted Blair Witch to be and has some incredibly creepy moments. I don't think it would have been effective seeing it at home without the crowd so don't pass this up if it comes to your city!

12. MadmanMarz

MadmanMarz Member

I would agree wholeheartedly. Nice to see DVDBone stayed awake finally at a midnight screening. :p This should be proof alone, to all forum readers, this one is worth a theatre viewing.

13. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

Okay, I was at the Dallas screening this morning. It was a real pain in the ass having to drive up to Dallas at midnight, but at least I can say it was worth the effort. For a film I've been following for close to two years, it lived up to all the hype I'd built up in my head. Not an easy task. It is exactly what I've been looking for this past decade. Ten years ago, The Blair Witch Project managed to scare me like no film before it. Since then, I've been waiting for another film to make me feel that way again, and Paranormal Activity is a case of better late than never.

Despite some light-hearted, occasionally comedic banter in the early half of the film, the feeling of dread and unease is present from the very first frame. It only worsens as the film goes on, the night scenes pushing the tension to the highest levels. The acting is strong, especially on the part of Katie Featherston, who is actually from my home away from home, Arlington, TX. The most unnerving part for me was when
    Katie stands over Micah as he sleeps, just staring at him for hours on end.
    That really got to me, though it's just one of many chilling moments present here. As for the ending, it worked for the most part, though I feel that the original ending WOULD have been stronger and a more appropriate fit.

It is definitely a case of less is more, which is usually the type of horror that I find most effective on a strictly frightening level. The theater was packed, and yet I haven't felt this creeped out while watching a film in years. That feeling also stayed with me long after the screening had ended. As a hardened horror fan, it is incredibly refreshing to find that a film still has the power to scare me. It doesn't happen often. In fact, it is exceedingly rare, but this one got the job done. I will need to let it sink in for a while, but this is potentially going to surpass Haute Tension as horror film of the decade for me.

14. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

http://www.deadline.com/hollywood/freakishly-good-gross-for-paranormal-activity/

It deserves all of the success and then some.

15. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

its hitting Toronto this weekend but I am not there any more...is it worth 6 hrs of driving? hahhaha...

16. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Any Idea where it's playing in Toronto?

Update..

I found one screening this Thursday at AMC Yonge & Dundas 24 (A M C Theatres) at Midnight.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
  17. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

Indeed

18. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

when will this come to dvd any guesses?

19. pwrslave

pwrslave New Member

A group of us went to the midnight showing in Santa Clara, CA on Saturday night and the theatre was PACKED! They played it in 4 theatres each night, Friday-Sunday, all showings sold out. Not too shabby for a no-budget haunted house flick.

First off, I just wanted to say I enjoyed the movie. ff there was one major drawback to the movie, it would be the ending. I saw that coming from a mile away. I read about the alternate ending where Kate just sits in the room for what seems like days and I think that would have worked a whole lot better. They had to change it for Hollywood, didn't they ;)

As for all the hype surrounding it, and all the people screaming and jumping in the theatre, I just don't get it. I did not once jump or feel any sense of dread, any hairs on the back of my neck stand up, nothing. I didn't go home and have problems sleeping, it didn't make me think "What will happen tonight when I rest?" It was not by any means "One scariest movies of all time!" as touted by bloody-disgusting.com. I mean, it didn't even come close. As I stated above, I liked the movie, but "one of the scariest," no.

Also, for those of you really interested in seeing it in the theatre, I would urge you to think twice. The audience was full of teenage knuckleheads who don't know a good movie from their ass. Before you go, imagine the kid next to you jumping into his girlfriends lap, because "one of the scariest movies of all time" will turn into a comedy real fast! I think this movie needs to be seen at home, alone, with all the lights off. I think I would have enjoyed this movie a tad better in the proper setting.

20. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

That's why my gf and I are not going to even bother. All these people in the theatre who are getting scared are a bunch of bubble gummers. It's not the movie that is scary, just the audience who has no clue about horror.