Paramount gets rights for Friday the 13th film franchise back!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by fceurich39, Jun 7, 2013.

1. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

I was just waiting to pick up the double-title sets. For some reason, V & VI have been the only ones available for some time (and so cheap)! I should have bought VII & VIII when I had the chance. :(

2. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

3. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Love to see an aja Friday the 13th, he's remakes have been great, will have too see what happens when it comes, can't be worse that the first remake? Never heard of the director, what have they done?

Steel76 likes this.
  4. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

othervoice1 likes this.
  5. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

An Aja remake would be terrible. I loved Hills Have Eyes remake, but that's a different type of material. The guy wouldn't be suited for F13.

6. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Did you read the article? He's not attached to the project in any capacity at all.

That being said, how can you say a movie will be terrible if a certain director (whoever it may be) is involved? That's a ridiculous statement. A guy can't make a different kind of film? Every single director sets out to have the exact same tone, visuals, etc in every single film he's done? Not to mention a films success on any level, has many many MANY variables involved besides the director.

After reading that interview and hearing his thoughts on the Friday the 13th franchise in general, I'd say he'd be a PERFECT candidate to direct the next installment. Sounds like he's very passionate about the original Paramount films. And at the same time I thought his movie Mirrors was dog shit.

Steel76 and baggio like this.
  7. Body Boy

Ok Sir.

I know he's not attached. That's why I said it "would" be terrible, not "will".

And hardly a ridiculous statement. When people say things like "I don't want Rob Zombie touching ________", it's because directors tend to leave their imprint on a film, especially when someone with styles like Aja come into play. Could he make a different film? Sure, but I don't feel that it would stray far enough from his other stuff to work.

Do you want me to reword and say "I feel that it wouldn't be for me" instead of "An Aja remake would be terrible"? So we shouldn't care about preconceived notions of a director going into casting for a film? The director doesn't affect the picture much given it's all a collaborative effort? Give me a break.

8. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

My opinion is that Aja would have be an interesting choice fro a new installment of Friday. Yes, you're right, in his case each of his films are very different. Piranha leaned more towards the fun side but Haute Tension had zero humor. One thing for sure, Aja knows how bring the nasty. Imagine a serious Friday with Haute Tension vicious approach.

Also my opinion on why the dislike for Aja, is the remaking. Hills Have Eyes started the "hate". Look, I like Wes Craven as much as the next person but, holy hell was there ever a film that could have used a remake. Now thankfully whenever I hear the words Hills Have Eyes , I think of Aja's version. :p And as far as Piranha. That was just a fun little gore fest, no harm there. Never seen Mirrors yet.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
    Steel76 likes this.
  9. Body Boy

That's why I am not interested in Aja. Even if he goes a fun route, I have a feeling there will be something like this in an F13 remake's veins.

I also prefer the remake of Hills.

10. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

At the end of the day, DVD Fanatic can direct the F13 remake and I'll still be excited about it. No judging till I see a trailer......

Body Boy likes this.
  11. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

I would love to see Aja direct a Friday the 13th because I think he could make the best, most intense movie and he has shown he also has a sense of humor. I just hope any new Friday the 13th plays it like the 09 version did and gives the best product for old and new fans. My only real critique of the 09 version is while I like the fan service, the whole Pamela/Jason mess created in the OG series could have used a clean up. The only sensible approach is nothing Pamela says can be trusted as she's mentally ill.

I'm fine with a movie coming out very similar to the 09 version, in fact, I'd be ecstatic for that. When Roger Ebert says the 09 remake is about the best Friday the 13th you can hope for, I knew they'd done a good job and wasn't disappointed. I don't trust any writers to write a real Jason origin story because it's an impossible battle to win. As such, with Aja for instance, I'd like to see him put the character of Jason into interesting, tense situations rather than someone else trying to explain a little too much with an origin story no one is ever going to like. A large portion of the most vocal Friday the 13th fans hate most of the series to begin with, they will hate every future movie that comes out since they haven't liked one in over 30 years. Imagine them crying over a new movie with an origin... God the tears would never dry.

baggio and Steel76 like this.
  12. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

thats exactly what I was thinking, he could bring the scares, the terror and the gore.

Steel76 likes this.
  13. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

I would also love to see his take on a F13 installment. And MIRRORS was absolute shit--don't waste your time.

14. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

I'm into an Aja F13. He's sorta hit and miss for me. More hit than miss though(and never really a complete miss). I have more faith in him than Nispel, say. Pathfinder really decimated his credibility. Aja, so far, doesn't have one I've ever had to turn off.

15. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

Aja could be good for the series. And I admit that I too feel some directors would not be as suited for certain projects as others. Rob zombie came to mind before I read far down enough here to see someone already made that point.

16. Dave

Dave Pimp

17. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

That's weak, but I guess next October having a new Jason flick to look forward to isn't the worst thing ever.

The remake wasn't THAT bad. It was enjoyable enough......the only aspect I really disliked was the underground little "Jason tunnel" he made for himself, with electricity and everything. I wasn't feeling that shit.

Zombie Dude and othervoice1 like this.
  18. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I enjoyed the remake as well - it was better then the halloween and nightmare on elm street remakes

19. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

I disagree with the Halloween remake, as I love that movie......but spot on with the Elm Street remake. I enjoyed watching the orange puss from my pilonidal cyst fill up in the container next to my hospital bed more than watching that god awful movie.

20. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

I'm not a fan of the 2009 remake, either, but Paramount had better get their asses in gear.

Their arrangement with Warner Brothers was revealed in June of 2013 and allegedly gave them a 5 year window in which to produce new F13 film(s). 10/13/2017 would seem to push them over 4 years into that window. Any more setbacks and those rights may be going back to Warner Brothers with nothing to show for it.