Parallel (2018)

Discussion in 'General' started by CPT HOOK, Apr 19, 2021.

1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

This one is more sci-fi than horror, but there are enough genre elements to put it into the horror forum.

Even though the year on this one is listed as 2018, it was only just released direct-to-DVD earlier this year. The cover makes it look like some kind of generic action movie (it's not AT ALL), but for some reason I picked up the DVD then and ended up very pleasantly surprised.

If I had to describe the movie, I might say it's a high-concept adult version of Goosebumps "Let's Get Invisible". The plot concerns a group of four friends who find a strange mirror in the attic, and discover that it is a portal to the "multiverse": meaning that inside the mirror is an alternate universe where doppelgangers of themselves exist. They start to play with it, using it to manipulate time, win the lottery, steal the technology and art of others (think Yesterday), etc. This is just the set-up. Of course, things go awry, twists-and-turns abound, and people may not always be who they appear to be...

This would make a decent companion to Synchronic. It's a little bit corny at times and certainly not as polished, but this is a very high-concept and playful little sci-fi movie with emphasis on plot, character, and creativity. Don't expect to have your mind blown, this is more of the popcorn thriller version of movies like Primer and whatnot. Regardless, it's very engaging and a lot of fun.

The only reason I bring it up now and didn't at the time the DVD was released is that it was just added to Amazon Prime streaming free for Prime users. So now there's a chance people might actually watch it.

Anyway, Parallel: now available on Amazon Prime streaming. Check it out! Or if you already have, let us know what you think!

[​IMG]

Colin likes this.
  2. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Poster is terrible but the film itself sounds alright. I think I will check it out.

3. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I saw a story about this movie on some site I check. I can't remember. But I know I saw this image and put it on my fast watch list.

parallel image.jpg

The image reminds me of one of my favorite Twilight Zone episodes with the woman at the bus stop. Also, the thing some people say that one of the multiple mirror reflections is evil.