Once again, your opinions on these movies

Discussion in 'General' started by spawningblue, Sep 25, 2007.

1. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Just looking for your opinions on these movies, and which ones I should buy. You guys have helped me out several times before so... And I read the threads on each film, but most of the opinions have been positive, so it's hard to decide as I can't afford all of them. Oh, and I put the prices there as it might make a difference if a movie is worth $6 or $16. Thanks!

For Sure?

The Burning - $9
    Tales from the Crypt/ Vault of Horror - $9
    Behind the Mask (w/ Mask) - $17

Maybe

Scarecrows - $9
    From Beyond - $13
    Alligator - $9
    Night of the Comet – $9
    Prom Night – $4
    Re-Animator – $16
    Terror Train – $6
    Trilogy of Terror - $14
    100 Years of Horror – $12
    Just Before Dawn - $13
    Trick or Treat - $4
    The Intruder - $9
    House on Sorority Row - $6
    He Knows You're Alone - $9

Last edited: Sep 25, 2007
  2. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Just so we're clear:

Are these blind buys for you?

3. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Yes, except Re-Animator which i saw and enjoyed years ago. So yeah, take into account the movie itself, quality of the DVD, and of course price.

4. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

I highly recommend Tales from the Crypt/Vault of Horror and Alligator.

Tales & Vault are a perfect double feature introduction to Amicus Films. If you enjoy horror anthologies and EC Comics, there's much to love here.

Alligator is one of the best nature run amok horrors. The movie is 27 years old, but still holds up very well today.

5. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

For Sure buys IMO:

The Burning
    Scarecrows
    Re-Animator
    From Beyond
    Night of the Comet

6. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

The Burning - A must buy, especially at $9. It's one of the best slashers ever made, and it's way better than any of the Friday the 13th movies.

Tales From the Crypt - Another must buy. A bit more subtle than the TV show which came after, but still fun. If you love anthologies, you'll dig this.

From Beyond - Not as good as Re-Animator but still worth your time. I'd give this a rent first, though.

Prom Night - I think this is a mediocre slasher film, but I enjoy it for Jamie Lee Curtis' performance and for the disco-themed prom. At $4 though, I don't see how you can go wrong, especially since the new disc has been cleaned up tremendously (though I hear Echo Bridge didn't really do the work on the transfer).

Re-Animator - A must if you love horror comedies.

Terror Train - A fun slasher with another great performance from Jamie Lee Curtis.

Trilogy of Terror - The Zuni doll is really the only memorable thing about this film, but Karen Black is marvelous in each story. If you like anthologies or TV movies, I'd say check it out.

Just Before Dawn - I was disappointed in this one, to be honest. Not that it was boring or anything... I just wasn't into it. I've found that I react that way to pretty much every Jeff Lieberman film except for Blue Sunshine, which just rocks.

Trick or Treat - Everyone seems to love this film, but I wasn't impressed. It kind of annoyed me. And if you want to see this because it "stars" Gene Simmons and Ozzy, you'll be disappointed because their roles amount to little more than cameos.

House on Sorority Row - An interesting slasher... boring at times, but it has some nice kills, a really good story, and some very creepy moments!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2007
  7. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Forget to add one to the list, He Knows You're Alone.

8. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

I know From Beyond has a big following, but I was very disappointed in it. If all you are looking for is gore a-plenty and some humor, then I guess it will do. But for me it just didn't work, I thought it was too long (it's only 85 minutes) and quite boring, actually. It was just badly written.

But, as I say, if it's gore and jokes you like, then it might work for you. I suggest renting it first, though.

9. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

He Knows You're Alone is one of my favorite slashers. It's a total rip-off of Halloween, but really well done. I don't think that one gets the love it deserves around these parts. :mad:

10. onebyone

onebyone Guest

I love all of those movies, save 100 Years of Horror. I don't know that one. Without knowing your taste it is hard to make specific recommendations, but you really can't go wrong with any of those babies. Buy or rent them all immediately.

11. boycrieswolf

boycrieswolf Guest

It's funny, my first post here was me trying to remember the name to an obscure slasher that I had accidentally seen as a very young kid. You guys pointed me in the right direction of course, and I just recently rented 'He Knows You're Alone' again after not having seen it since I was like 5 or 6 years old. The memory that stuck with me the most was the fishtank scene, which in my little kids mind was a very long and horrific scene, then I watch it again a couple of weeks ago and that particular scene is like 2 seconds long and more funny than scary! Funny how time changes things and first impressions are more scary when you're younger. Sorry to get off topic, I recommend 'From Beyond' if you like Stuart Gordon's other stuff. It does start off slow, but it picks up and is fairly bizzare.

12. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

I own all except for 100 years of horror and trick or treat...and would not part with any of them.

13. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

Definitely get Alligator!!

also the ones I've seen and really liked:

Behind the Mask (w/ Mask) - $17 Only problem I have with this one is I'm not sure about the re-play value. Great, great flick but I'm not sure I can see myself watching it over and over....but it comes with a mask so you should buy it anyway. :)

Prom Night – $4 Must own. OK it's a little slow in places but it works well.

Terror Train – $6 Must own slasher.

Trick or Treat - $4 -Maybe you should rent it first. I love it but I can see how others might not.

Just Before Dawn - $13 - I really didn't think much of this one the first time I watched it, maybe expectations were too high, but I just re-watched it recently and really enjoyed it. I'd suggest renting it first though.

The Intruder - $9 Fun slasher and some great kills. Not a perfect movie, not essential, but worth owning.

House on Sorority Row - $6 - I've pretty much forgotten what happened in this one except I remember that I liked it.

14. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

I completely disagree. :D

15. Mazurka Macabre

Mazurka Macabre Member

Prom Night for 4 Canadian dollars?

BUY!!!

16. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

Doesn't really make a difference whether it's Canadian or American bux. We're basically par now.

17. It's me Billy

It's me Billy New Member

Must Buys:

The Burning
    Prom Night (be sure to get the new Echo Bridge disc on October 2nd)
    Terror Train
    The House on Sorority Row
    He Knows You're Alone

18. Dbone

Dbone Guest

Where are you finding theses titles at prices like this?

My FYE --
    Alligator - $14
    The Burning - $14
    Tales from the Crypt/Vault of Horror - $14

I could go on and on but you get the idea.

19. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

I assume online merchant prices.

20. jimallcorn

jimallcorn Guest

testing. :)