ohio teachers gets 90 days for showing class ABC's of Death

Discussion in 'General' started by Ash28M, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  2. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I can't say that I have any pity on her. There isn't any educational value to be gained in ABCs of Death and you can't plead ignorance to its content after showing it to more than one class. Is 90 days a lot? Yes. But she's so stupid I don't think that she would learn her mistake from a simple slap on the wrist.

3. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

I got away with showing the VHS preview of Dr. Butcher in my chemistry class back in the day. Every body laughed when that dude got the bobbie trap spikes in the chest and buddy was getting his eyes poked out........True story.

4. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

I have to agree. There is a time and place for everything. I certainly don't support censorship of any kind, but this is just a bad move on a professional level.

5. Mikey Horror

Mikey Horror Active Member

Don't think of it as her doing 90 days in jail for showing a film, but rather think of it as her doing 90 days in jail for being a fucking idiot and it'll make more sense.

6. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

i read about this on a website called Parentdish, one of those squeaky clean sites catering to the parents of young children. What I thought was amusing was the disclaimer at the bottom of that article:

:lol: amazing

here's the full article: http://www.parentdish.ca/2015/03/05/abcs-of-death-teacher-jailed-sheila-kearns/

7. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    lol

8. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

How did this film get 4.7 out of 10 on IMDB? It's a 1.8 at best.

9. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

To be fair though, it's not a good movie at all, and 90 days is pretty lenient for forcing kids to watch that mess.

10. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

I'm glad its a harsh punishment but I'd like to see her barred from teaching. She clearly lacks the judgement most would want from the people that are tasked with shaping our children. I'd pull my kids from that school if she was allowed to stay on. Not because I fear her, but any administrator that allows her to continue teaching clearly lacks good judgement as well.

11. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

I don't agree with the jail time, but there is zero reason to show that movie or anything close to that in a classroom. Unless it is some sort of film class, but definitely not some language class.

12. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I really don't see the big deal. All of us watched horror movies like crazy between the ages of 14 and 18. At the very most she should get fired but I remember the teacher puting on films every once in a while growing up as a reward. Those film had little to no educational value. Everyone seems to think prison is the answer to everything. I hate that mentality. No wonder America has such a large prison population.

13. hellraiser40

hellraiser40 Well-Known Member

i remember doing a book review in the front of the class and i had chosen... The Hellbound Heart by Clive Barker!

i remember showing Hellraiser 1, the part where Kristy opens the Lament Configuration Box for the 1st time

i switched off the moment that Cenobite jammed his fingers in her mouth :D

EDIT : age 15! the teacher was quite satisfied with the review even, never a remark about the 'adaptation' i had shown :p

14. maybrick

There must an inherent naivety in language teachers. About 25 years ago Spanish teacher got suckered into The Faces of Death because she was told it was a documentary. She didn't continue to show it during every class period though.

15. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

This movie was all kinds of awful and I've done my best to wipe it from my memory, but from what I do remember, you'd think by the time she got to the segment with the naked Asian girls farting in each other's faces she'd go "hmm... better not..."

Even after that, she continued to show the movie four more times!

16. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

I thought you were joking but I youtubed that clip and it is a real scene. She should serve time for having bad taste.

17. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

We didn't watch horror films in my house. If I did catch a horror film when I was a teen it was without my parents knowledge. Other than old Universal monster flicks and some Hammer stuff, I don't plan on watching horror with my kids either.

18. maybrick

But not every kid is the same. Some of them will just never get into horror films, and some of them flat out have an aversion to them. While we all enjoy horror films here, it isn't right for anybody to force such an offensive film onto a group of kids with varied backgrounds without warning or regard. It's irresponsible, pure and simple.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  19. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Ha ha, true. My French teacher in high school once played us a foreign film (title escapes me) and left the class. It was a two-class film, so when we began it the next day, there was a noticeable plot jump. We called her on it, and she was like, "No, you guys are wrong." Then she left the class. Once she was gone, we rewound the tape and :eek1:! Sex scene with frontal nudity! It was glorious. The entire class was laughing and cheering. We then settled down and watched the rest of the film, and no one told on her or anything, because we weren't f-ing snitches.

Great moment.

20. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

Those of us that did, generally did so by our own choosing, not because a substitute teacher decided we would. Not everyone can handle violent imagery or horror films, regardless of age.

I'm not sure a prison sentence was warranted by her actions, but her punishment may have been particularly harsh due to a seeming lack of concern or remorse for her actions.

http://www.cleveland.com/nation/index.ssf/2015/01/ohio_teacher_convicted_for_sho.html