Nightwatch Remake

Discussion in 'General' started by Deaddevilman, Aug 29, 2003.

1. Deaddevilman

Deaddevilman Guest

Nattevagten (Night Watch) was directed by Ole Bornedal and I believe it was his first movie. I thought it was well done and very hitchcockian. For some reason he remade the film for Miramax starring Ewan McGregor & Nick Nolte. Is it any good and is this the only time a director has remade his own film?

2. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Ever seen a Jess Franco movie?

3. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I believe the director of Spoorloos (the Vanishing) the George Sluizer also directed the remake.

As for the remake of Nightwatch, it was ok. The Original was much better though in my opinion.

4. Deaddevilman

Deaddevilman Guest

Was Miramax behind that as well?

5. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Nope. 20th Century Fox I think..

6. legnadibrom

legnadibrom Guest

poop

"nightwatch" doesn't make a whole lot of sense, and gets really crappy towards the end, and i think brad dourif shows up once of or twice for no reason at all

7. Disco Stu

Disco Stu Guest

Hitchcock remade his own The Man Who Knew Too Much."

Dick Haas remade his own "The Lift" as "The Shaft" which was just released on DVD, and stars Naomi Watts.

The original version of Nightwatch is pretty well made most of the way through, but the ending is obvious and a big letdown. The remake, like with "The Vanishing," doesn't even get the simple things right.

I'd argue that John Carpenter remade his own "Assault on Precinct 13" (already a remake of Rio Bravo) as "Ghosts of Mars."

8. Deaddevilman

Deaddevilman Guest

I believe you're right.

9. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I revisited the '90s Dimension Nightwatch remake last night. I was really into this one as a kid, although of course as a 12 year old I'm sure I would be intrigued by this tawdry movie about necrophilia and prostitutes that I probably shouldn't have been watching. I found it pretty boring now. It was over an hour into the movie and I was still waiting for something to happen. Also, lots of talented actors here giving some pretty bad performances. I wonder why John C Reilly wasn't credited? He has a fairly decent sized role.

Things do pick up in the final 20 minutes or so, but by then it's too little too late.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  10. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Might have been a year or so back for me but I had the same experience re-visiting this. I remember loving it as a teen and then trying to to figure out why I liked it so much on that re-visit :p I didn't know it was a remake of a foreign film though.

CPT HOOK likes this.
  11. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

I'm still trying to get a copy of the original to view; never bothered with the remake since everyone I trusted said it sucked.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  12. Darga

Darga Narcissistic Personality

I picked up a copy of the Anchor Bay DVD of the original sometime last year, and it wasn't as good as I remembered. With that in mind, the remake must be REALLY bad.

13. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

I watched both a few months ago for the first time and had enjoyed the original quite a bit. The remake wasn't nearly as good, but I didn't have a bad time watching it.