Nightmare on Elm Street remake a go!

Discussion in 'General' started by mclay18, Dec 12, 2008.

1. Slackjaw83

Slackjaw83 Lonely St. Tattooer

There are definitely points in part 1 and part 2 that Freddy is straight up "scary". When they keep him in the shadows, he instantly becomes more frightening, simply because one mind will "fill in the blank" with whatever mental image frighten them the most (provided that the atmosphere is creepy and enveloping enough).

That said, when he took was brought out of the dream world and into reality in part 2, it was all downhill. It was even more downhill, on a scale of "scary", when he became the main star of the show with Dream Warriors.

I'd say that he was a bit more sadistic in "New Nightmare", but I never found him scary, mostly due to the bad make-up and the fact that he was so out in the open.

If the remake keeps him in the shadows and downplays the black humor, it can be a success. If they make a point of showing off the make-up and make the character too Joke-y, then it's going to tank.

I agree, though, about my 2 biggest issues with the trailer being The face and the voice. Hopefully they just made a misstep in scene choice for the trailer.....

2. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

Ok, too many scenes remind me the first one and... wait a minute, he is innocent? You mean that he ain't EVIL? He is just an angry ghost? And rightfully so? And he is supposed to scare me?

Oh, and Freddy WAS scary, at least in the beginning. I mean, really scary. Lots of early nightmares from the old Freddy. Now I think I'll get a whole new set og nightmares with Michael Bay...

3. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

From what I've read and according to the script that is correct.

4. mclay18

mclay18 New Member

For those who aren't fond of the trailer (or the new Freddy look), remember some good movies have had absolutely horrible trailers. Save your criticism when the movie comes out next year, please.

5. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

It's called a "remake" for a reason, people; of course it's going to keep certain things and I don't think it makes it bad. I don't care for the "innocent" angle, personally, but I will wait until I see it before I rip it to shreds (which should be fairly simple considering it's Michael Bay).

6. mclay18

mclay18 New Member

Bay is producing this movie; he hasn't directed a film under the Platinum Dunes banner yet. Besides, the camerawork isn't that fancy, no shakycam footage or nothing excessive Bay loves (well, maybe the camera filters are).

7. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

Well, he Produced the following: both TEXAS CHAINSAW debacles, THE HITCHER, F13, AMITYVILLE HORROR and now this. I am not hopeful.

8. Ash

Ash New Member

Bay ruins everything he touches.

9. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

wow i liked the trailer, there were definitely some scenes in there that reminded me of the rest of the series.

10. Mazurka Macabre

Mazurka Macabre Member

I'm torn by the new trailer.

The new dream sequences look like they could be really, really great. They've aced the factory/boiler room look that made me love the original. Coloration is perfect. (There were a bit too many sparks being thrown off by that glove, however.)

The only thing I worry about when it comes to the 'look' of this film is that we saw this movie three years ago. It was called Silent Hill then and its ash-laden set designs were amazing. Honestly, if the NoES reboot can hold a candle to that industrial horror look I will be very well-pleased.

As for Freddy looking like a "real" burn victim I can't say that I agree. In fact, Robert Englund looked more like a healed burn victim. Maybe the new Freddy is supposed to be in some kind of perpetual 'just been burned' state? I still think it's a bit off. But don't get me wrong, the make up is pretty wicked cool.

The biggest drawbacks for me are that they're pulling a Gus Van Sant Psycho by trying to reshoot the original kills and iconography. (I could really do without the girls in white dresses and their rhymes. That kind of thing is such a horror cliche now that it doesn't matter if it was fresh and engaging in the original film. It is now tired and has been ripped off by countless mediocre movies.) NoES has aged pretty damn well compared to most slasher flicks. The filmmakers are setting themselves up for failure with this choice.

I'm also sad they've fallen into the slasher trap of killing off a group of teens. For me, the most successful contemporary horror movies (Session 9, Eden Lake, etc.) are booting this formula in favor of some good ol'-fashioned character development.

What they should have done in this reboot is have Freddy going after actual children - middle and elementary school age kids - with a parent who wasn't around during Freddy's living reign of terror (maybe a young single mom who's been a bit ostracized for getting pregnant so young) as the protagonist. I know that would be highly controversial and the on-screen and off-screen violence would have to be thought out and justified to within an inch of its life, but it's where the NoES series logically has to go. (Argento, of course, couldn't do this with Suspiria; he wanted the witches to be killing kids, but couldn't get the studio to greenlight it.) If your horror movie is about a serial child molester and murderer, in my book he better be stalking and killing kids! Plus, the whole idea of killing a child really opens up a lot of possibilities for critical readings of a film, because it is such a socially charged and artistically risky choice.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  11. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

That would be so awesome--but, sadly, I fear you are correct. Will never happen. :(

12. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Yea that is a really bad track record, especially TCM

13. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Sorry, but TCM: The Beginning was a brutal, gory, and fun flick that didn't bitch out on it's ending.

14. mclay18

mclay18 New Member

Nor was Friday the 13th. The original series is only well-regarded in die-hard horror fan circles, but save for a couple of them, are just repetitive, cheap and stupid. (Then again, so is most of Bay's output as a director and partially as producer.) The Friday remake stayed true to what the original movies did best (Jason hacking up nubile, stupid teens and being "offed" by a Final Girl), the story mythos is just silly nitpicking.

The Nightmare series is more closer to my heart. So I will be more harsh to the remake when I see it and I don't like it. But I really like what I see, but appearances can be deceiving. Mark my words, if I hate it, I'll be making it loud and clear like _pi_ did.

15. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Yeah the Friday remake was great. I'm a Friday fan first and foremost, but the Nightmare series is next in line and I hope this turns out good.

16. 2D4EVER

2D4EVER Guest

Been a life long fan of the series. This looks like a waste of film to me. If you are going to "remake" or "reboot" or "re-imagine" a series either do something original or use the original as a template but take it all to the next level. I see no elevation in concept or anything original here. Sick though I am of remakes and reboots and whatever bullshit word they'll come up with next they will continue to be made. I have stopped protesting these remakes since it has been and seems to be inevitable that any movie ever made that was even somewhat popular in this country or any other will be remade by the talentless and creative-bankrupt Hollywood establishment. It's lazy and it makes me sick but that is the current state of the movie industry.

17. Dave

Dave Pimp

Still undecided, but I do know:

Halloween remake: Strike 1
    Friday remake: Strike 2

This is basically their last chance for the 'big three'.

18. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

But Platinum Dudes were never behind the Halloween remake.:confused:

19. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Trailer isn't awful but I just can't get excited to see these things,remakes have been done to death lately.Is there any half way culty horror film from the 70's-80's that isn't slated for a remake ? If you enjoy them,great,I just can't take much pleasure in most of them.

20. Vlachio

Vlachio Guest

The trailer does nothing for me at all. I know it's been said before. Still might as well hit the final nail. So how long before they remake the remakes?