Night of the Living Dead (1990) - Twilight Time 10/09/12

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by X-human, Jun 9, 2012.

1. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

Why would they say different and create a shit storm of controversy and headaches from people wanting to return the product in droves? It's much easier just to tell everyone that purchased it that it is the new "correct" version to save the trouble. I didn't buy it and can tell you after seeing all the screen caps and video that it isn't the film I saw in theaters. I'd say anyone who purchased it has every right to complain that they didn't receive the version they were expecting.

2. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

From Don May...

[​IMG]

The above pic was taken with a camera phone. Notice the more blue look.

The pic underneath is an actual screen-cap. Not nearly as blue.

I think a lot of you are freaking out over a transfer you've not even sat down and watched.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  3. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

Thanks for contributing something useful to the conversation. :eek2:

4. Horror_Boy

Horror_Boy Member

I think he's right guys..DP approved this in 2010..Savini now approves...I mean after looking at the screen caps it might just be the way they originally intended the film to look..It is alot more foreboding and seems to be more in check with the original NOLD..I always thought the remake had a very, very warm appearence..

5. SaviniFan

I'm certainly not denying that this is or isn't the intended way that the DOP and Savini wanted the film to look, but that is besides the fact that the film has NOT looked that way for 22 years. To say that nobody has the right to complain is ridiculous. If some of you that own the blu are happy with it then good for you. It is just asinine to say that everybody else should shut up because Savini likes it.

6. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

After watching the DVD last night, I came to the conclusion that if 20 years later they're going to fuck with the film then they may as well go full out and replace the score, too, because it STINKS.

7. SaviniFan

:lol::lol:

8. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Referring to WesReviews theory:

Problem is you can see SUNLIGHT beaming down on people during the first 1/3 of the movie. If Savini wanted it dark, that's fine, thing is, you watch this and you see sunlight reflecting off stuff, shadows indicating it's in the afternoon, not evening. Now it just looks very amateur in it's execution. It's also become cliche. One aspect I liked about NOTLD '90 is that it did start out in the afternoon with zombies roaming around in daylight. It's funny if you check the trailer on the disc and then compare to the movie. The trailer is untouched.

9. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Let's weigh the evidence shall we:

In the making of, Tallman says Savini wanted an overcast dreary day but got sunshine, ended up loving the sun and went with it.

There's the sun blarring off Ben's head, yet it's already tinted to look like a blueish dusk (not as blue as the screens online, but there is blue, I watched and formed my own opinion).

From the dvd booklet itself:
    John Vulich: "We wanted everything to be realistic, not stylized. Other movies featuring zombies have usually had people in gray make-up with a lot of wrinkles. We thought it would be scarier if our zombies looked like people: you know, like your neighbors, only they're dead."

Everett Burrell: "We learned that the dead turn a sort of yellow, not gray, as usually portrayed in the movies, so we gave our zombies a yellow cast to their skin."

But no zombie has any yellow on them in the new transfer. 90%+ of the make-up effects are hidden behind darkness or with lack of color now. What the fuck was the DP thinking? This new look isn't stylized?!? Why is Savini fine with this? Maybe he doesn't give a half fuck about the film, but if this was my baby and someone did this I'd be fucking pissed!

There's the film itself showing the sun going down, now 15 minutes later, for the second time. If the DP did this, then this scene should've been removed, oh but wait, it's mentioned in the fucking commentary!

Last but not least, if this is how the film is supposed to look like many are claiming, then why in the fuck has it taken 22 years to get it right? Through 5 fucking home video formats (at least, did this come out on beta or hd-dvd?), thousands of conventions for Tom, never mentioned it, and now, after all this time, here's the real film. By the way, now that we fixed it, it's gonna be limited to 3000 copies and that's all. :rolleyes:

I was born at night, but not last night. :fuck: $ony and fuck Prinzi if he was involved in this shit.

Oh yeah, no chance of it getting a replacement either. They've never bothered to fix Coppola's Dracula, and had to hear about draining the color from that. I wouldn't be shocked if over 3000 complained to them about that, yet they continue to re-release it and keep it in print themselves. Sony doesn't care about horror movies. They tinker with them and re-envision themselves. If Coppola did sign off on Dracula, he must've been very tired or very medicated.

Last thing. Don't we usually hear when someone majorly involved is supervising a new transfer through at least one news source? Anyone recall hearing about the new 2010 transfer of this being struck? Do we just have $ony saying the DP was in on this, or something more concrete than a studio covering their just fucked up royally asses?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  10. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

For those who are interested in selling their copies, these still seem to be selling pretty consistently in the $65.00 - $75.00 range on eBay.

There also aren't any listings in the Amazon marketplace under $70.00 currently. There were a few over the past few days in the $65.00 - $70.00 range, so I'm guessing those have been selling too.

11. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

Yup, the bottom screen shot is how mine looks too. Like I said, I didn't see any blue. I have no problem with people being angry over this release. You paid $35 for a movie that you thought would look one way and it looked another. You are entitled to be upset over this, and you're entitled to a full refund. You're not entitled to a recall and repressing, however. If you don't like the disc, return it. But, stop acting like Sony and Twilight Time owe you anything besides the $35 you initially invested. A recall would more than likely cost hundreds of thousands of dollars, which they would never make back. Just the return shipping on 3000 discs would cost $15,000. And, stop acting like those who like this disc are full of shit or justifying our purchases (or eBay listings). We're not. We just have a different opinion than you. It happens all the time.

12. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

I take "stylized" to mean a departure from traditional shooting methods, i.e., shaky-cam, MTV-style editing, unconventional narratives, etc. The stylized bug hadn't hit yet in 1990 - movies were still being made the old-fashioned way, even as late as '90. Now, if they want to say that they wanted a "realistic" look to the zombies (which isn't even what we're discussing here, but...) that's another thing. Any makeup work that was done on the zombies is pretty much lost to the color timing changes, no doubt about it. Personally, I feel that the changes are kind of appropriate to the film since most of the action takes place at night. I'm not entirely happy about the situation but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

13. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

Well said! :)

14. ekent

ekent The Lord's Arm of Justice

North California, South Alabam, and little towns a
    I think the picture is a little dim (ok, a lot) but I think the image is very sharp and the audio is booming. Cue it up to the feeding scene and hear what I am talking about. Overall I am pleased with the release and not offended by the transfer in the slightest. It gives the early scenes in the film a moonlit, noir-ish feel, which helps with the mood and seems to hide some of the weaker effects like Uncle Reg.

15. Jimmy S

Jimmy S New Member

It never looked like that during it theatre run, a fact I know since I saw it in a theatre... What was on the screen is the correct version... this blu-ray isn't. What Frank Prinzi, Sony, Tom Savini or Don May say is irrelevent.

16. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

Why do you say Savini is fine with this?

Donald May posted:

"Does this make it right? No, because the film isn't exactly the way the director intended..."

17. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

watched it last night and thought it looked fantastic a little dark but as i said one button clicking with picture settings on the tv made it very bright in the darkened/tinted areas of the film

18. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

Tom Savini was quoted from his Facebook page yesterday as saying:

19. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

I tried to "friend" him so I could check out his thoughts and got the message, "sorry, this person has too many friend requests". Tom Savini is the man, but I guess I already knew that.

20. Horror_Boy

Horror_Boy Member