Night of the Demons 3 DVD?

Discussion in 'General' started by eric_angelus, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

You don't like the original? I'll admit it gets a little slow at times but it wins a spot in my collection for the effects alone.

2. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

My hatred for this film is intense. I don't do well with films that parade shitty, detestable, hateful, irredeemably I.Q.-impaired characters around like it's a great act of anarchy or like it enhances the filmmakers' sleaze-cred. And, if that were possible, it already worked for Class of Nuke 'Em High (which I actually find to be a great movie).

Far too many people in cult circles have no discernment when it comes to these movies. They look for quotients to be filled. X-amount gore, X-amount boobs, X-amount cursing, etc. Frankly, I give these films plenty of credit; there's a right way and a wrong way to do anything, after all. I just don't believe they're worth as much as most people seem to. I look for something more. Though, even then, Night of the Demons is a special brand of shit: it actively tries to make me hate Halloween. Which, like any other horror fan, means a lot to me. I should never be watching a movie that reminds me how much there is to dislike about Halloween, in all the wrong ways. By celebrating the worst aspects of it. I mean, is anyone in this fucking movie having any fun? No: everyone's an uptight asshole. Say one thing they don't like and they go on a rampage. It may sound like I overanalyze, but shockingly, I don't care to know every single thing that is wrong with every person out there. Especially if those people represent the protagonist roster.

To provide a counterpoint: look at Hell Night. Flawed, yes. But that is a good example of how you do not-exactly-"likable" characters right. They aren't jabbing you in the face constantly with their sexual hang-ups and bad attitudes yet they're also believable people with something about them that could be rubbed the wrong way. They're horny and do drugs and like to party but they aren't working my last nerve Every Second of the Running Time. The girls aren't whiny and catty and the guys aren't shouting "bitch" every 2 seconds. Actually, there are a ton of movies with unlikable or unsympathetic characters just similar enough to this movie (that is, dealing with young characters who semi-regularly conflict with one another) that show it up: Killer Party, Evil Dead 2, Sleepaway Camp, Dolls, Vamp, Scarecrows, The Kiss, Bud the Chud, April Fools Day, The Monster Squad, any Silent Night Deadly Night, Curtains, Ghoulies, and that's probably just scratching the surface.

I didn't even notice the effects: I lost almost all ability to care about anything. This really is one of the worst big-hype 80's horror movies I've ever seen. The Burning was better than this (similar problems).

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  3. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

Your name isn't also thePrestige85 by any chance, is it? :lol:

4. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

Are you really surprised he doesn't like it? :lol:

I don't mind 3 tbh.

5. Zombie Dude

I know I shouldn't be but somehow he always manages to surprise me.

there's definitely likable character here like the main girl and the black guy. Plus the fact the black guy survives which is nice to see in a horror movie.

6. evildeadfan123

evildeadfan123 Sam & Dean Winchester

I own all three Night of The Demons. I recently purchased the Scream Factory Blu-Ray of Night of The Demons, Loved it. Ordered from Vintage Stock last week Night Of The Demons 2 Blu-Ray from Olive Films, and for the last several years I own Part 3 from the Canadian release on DVD. I love all of them, part 3 was a little weaker than the first 2. I love the first one and the second one is a little gorier than the first one. I also own Part 1 and 2 on DVD.

7. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Well I loooove the original - the 2nd one is very good too but the original will always be the best to me. The third is pretty lame but watchable I guess

8. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I was so excited when Night Of The Demons 3 was originally released, but was extremely disappointed when I rented it. Still, being a part of my favorite series, I found myself rewatching it over the years and I guess I must have conditioned myself into loving it, because I really enjoy it now.

That said, I wouldn't recommend watching it immediately after part 2. You really see the difference in quality. But watching it on it's own, it's a fun little B-movie. Really great atmosphere.

9. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I wish a better version would come out, perhaps by Olive. It's the worst of the 3 films, but still has some fun moments.

I do own the Canadian DVD, but it's slightly censored and "mutes" any curse words almost every time during the film. I once owned the German DVD which is uncut and kept a DVD-R copy of that one too.

10. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

The majority of 1:85 movies in the 80s were shot open matted and them matted for theatrical release.

I would assume that part 3 never had a theatrical screening and if it had it would a very limited one.

11. chrismac87

chrismac87 Zombie Eater

I do know there is in fact an HD version that is in widescreen, it aired on Monsters HD a few times. Not sure if we'll ever see a Blu Ray of it though, if anyone would do it - I'd imagine it'd be Olive.

The film itself was shot in two weeks, and so much was taken out of the script that Kevin Tenney said is what made it a great sequel. There of course were still some elements left in, but the director just had no clue about the original films, who the characters were, etc. His mindset was to not see or pay attention to those films as he felt it would impair the way he'd be making his film, so he wanted it to stand on its own.

It stood out all right; for all the wrong reasons. It's a film that was very quickly and cheaply made - which it blatantly shows off.

12. DVD-fanatic-9

We can't all be "cool" I guess. :cool:

I provided a host of examples of films that I thought were better than this movie. I think I've been more than fair and I liked several of the films I mentioned. What's the problem?

Dawn of the Dead.

If a single one of the characters in this film had any sense, they wouldn't be at this "party" with a bunch of douchebags. Disqualified.

13. Zombie Dude

Yes but then you wouldn't have a movie. :lol:

14. DVD-fanatic-9

I can live with that.

15. Zombie Dude

I can't because then we wouldn't have gotten the fantastically cheesy sequel.

16. Franco

Franco Weekender

When I returned this thread back from the dead, I never knew it was going to cause so much conversation about the movie :lol:

17. DVD-fanatic-9

You've got me there.

18. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I can get disliking the original, and don't really disagree with the reasons given. But to find the original unacceptable but the sequel acceptable? The sequel is about a bunch of douchebags dragging a girl to the place of sister's death for a Halloween prank; why would anyone want to hang out with a group doing that? Even the "good intention" characters act like they're mentally challenged for the plots sake. And the sequel still panders to the same lower instincts, more so I felt.

Basically it's the same shit; different pile.

19. DVD-fanatic-9

Actually, there was an important plot-reason for the sister to be there. And it wasn't a ploy to terrorize her. #1. #2, the "sexually-wild" college kids were set-up as either rebelling against or reacting to the extremely rigid, restrictive morals of the Demon-Fighting Sister. There was a point to the way they behaved, and it wasn't to make us cheer-on their impending deaths (those who did die, which were most if I remember correctly). At least, in the first half of the movie. Things change drastically when, suddenly, the plot decides it needs a Female Ash/Reggie ass-kicker and decided the best actress to do that would be the one playing Sister Mary All-Sex-is-Sin... the kind of hypocrisy that makes me bang my head in surprise (first) rather than frustration (rare, really rare). Context is the key. You can't judge anything here based on the surface, the character writing is too much of an honest upgrade from the original. Even I was shocked at how smart the movie was for cheesy trash ...Until the turnover. It's the attitudes of the filmmakers I'm calling into question and I believe the guys in charge of the sequel wanted to do something different. (Something with some kind of head on its' shoulders. Or, at least, some ambition.)

20. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

As I said, the plot made characters out to be total douchebags and retards, even the sister. That's lazy writing and by a certain logic of yours doesn't that still disqualify redeeming characters?
    What little plot reasons don't make up for that fact they are douchebags or hanging out with douchebags. Collectively dragging the sister to her sister's death site as a prank it 100x douchier than anything in the original.

In the original they were just going to a party, not knowing the full roaster ahead of time. And in fact the reason why the good characters do leave to the car and to their own private sections of the house is because the rest are douchebags. [Look at that, douchebags used as a plot point?] The house itself prevents them from leaving the location however, a scripted plot device.

I seem to recall you saying
    So parading shitty, detestable, hateful, irredeemably I.Q.-impaired characters around like it's a great act of anarchy against the church when it's just plain old hormones everyone else has still passes that litmus test? Seems rather arbitrary to me.

Uh... Like what? No character performs an action or demonstrates a character trait not originally established in the first act. The nun, seemingly your best and so far only example, does what any stereotypical nun does in a movie and therefore does it against demons.

The script here is worst of all, you can't use that as a crutch.

Much like the 90's itself it misunderstood what was previously popular and took away its teeth while piling on the dumb in a hope to appeal to the same demographic.

There is more gratuitous nudity in the sequel. The original also used it more imaginatively and to reinforce the concept that demons enjoy having flesh but in a more objectifying but not sexual way. This carries over themes from The Evil Dead, "you have pretty flesh, GIVE IT TO ME!"

Also there is more of a degrading and demeaning attitude against women in the sequel with more of the "lipstick lesbian" touches which only appeals to straight males, offends real lesbians and straight women alike. The haunted lipstick itself takes on a phallic symbolism when possessing your anarchist lesbian character, as if symbolizing that penis can dominate and control unruly women through their vagina making them turn away from any true lesbian tendencies they might have [put still engage in lipstick lesbianism].

Hey you told me to looking below the surface and to consider the context on that.

I find the sequel to be a typical 90's knock off, trying to hold onto the Bush status quo after the anti-conservative rebelling of the 80's. The derelict streets of repression suburban Reagan America where public school kids have to find a way to blow off steam because they soon will have to join the working world gives away to a clean boarding school of privileged kids who are bored and have everything going for them so they collectively decide to pick on an underprivileged orphan girl who's had real trauma in her life; before going to college mind you.

There is also a collective effort to save these privileged kids, by adults reclaiming their territory at the school [white flight] when demons (which they believe in) were punishing sinners[people partying with sex, drugs and rock 'n roll (and traumatizing orphans)] (which they also believed in, but I guess those sins weren't "enough" for punishment. Reinforcing it's OK for privileged believers to sin and get out of Hell.) While in the original public school kids were left to defend themselves and die; later becoming a mocking point for the privileged kids. [It's worth noting God hardly intervene in the original, the black Baptist(?) had to do the right Christian thing without spiritual backup. White Catholics of the sequel had all the powers of heaven to combat the demons.] None of this is done in the sequel in an ironic way.

Typical bad 90's writing oblivious to the problems in society at the time which eventually lead to the crashes and clashes in 2000's. This is what you hold up as better than the original?

Mind you, I enjoyed the sequel for what it was. But let's call a spade a spade here.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014