New Masters of Horror series: Fear Itself

Discussion in 'General' started by satans-sadists, Sep 25, 2007.

1. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    So true!!

:lol:

2. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

What does that have to do with anything? You can't actually determine the quality of someone's work based on fucked up things they did (20 years ago) in their personal lives.

And I really don't appreciate you even bringing that up.

Anyway, since everyone was so busy talking Gordon's episode up before they even saw it... I have to say it really disappointed me the most. I mean I like John Landis more as a director than Gordon, but with The Black Cat and Stuck, I had much higher hopes for Eater. And that thing just went downhill like the damn Titanic! Slowly, painfully, plop! It started out okay with a fairly memorable opening, then went into cliche (Silence of the Lambs? Child's Play / Shocker? why, Stuart, why?), CGI overload, predictable plot-twist (who didn't know whose head was under that bag???), boring and lame "torture film" stereotypes, bad chase scenes, and a terrible ending.

I'm not giving up on the series, mind you. I just know John Dahl and Mary Harron will deliver something good, even if it's not pure horror.

3. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Caught up to the FAMILY MAN ep,though I predicted it,overall it is the best one I've seen.Still haven't seen Landis' show though.Apart from the okay Yu show I have yet to like one.

4. Shannafey

Because people should always know and/or always remember what this fucking animal did! He shouldn't be allowed to work in the business, since that is how he found and molested his victim. The fucking animal should be digging ditches or scrubbing toilets, not have a glamorous job in the film industry. If you have a problem with me bringing it up or don't care what he did, you probably don't have children and frankly, shouldn't ever! As long as this guy is working, I'll bring it up!

5. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

Yadayadayadayadayadayada.

6. onebyone

onebyone Guest

His personal life :lol:

That's pretty rich.

7. DVD-fanatic-9

Are you trying to start a fight with me? ;)

Like he's the only one who did it? He isn't. Like you think just because he is a known one-time offender, that will encourage other people to want to have sex with children?

Yeah, I got that part of your rant. And you're right to say that the pain he probably caused (no one knows or can know to what degree but the victim themself) shouldn't go unpunished. But we can't kill people for committing this crime or ruin their entire life. The humiliation he will be made to feel for the rest of his life is no light sentence. I'm not saying anyone should feel sorry for him. But don't give me this vigilante bullshit. Because clearly, now you're just pushing this because you have a problem with yourself. You're taking it further than you should because you feel helpless. Guess what? We all do. There are tons of really shitty things in the world we can't change but should. And need to for the future of our survival. But people are too wrapped up in making sure the criminals of the past still suffer the consequences. Pedophilia is not the only problem we have. And clearly you're taking more of an interest in this because it involves children. What about all the other serious problems? Why is this one so much worse than all the others? And are you actually under the delusion that your attacking me and aggressively discussing this issue (on a horror message board, remember that) can in any way help people who've been victimized?

I care what he did. But it's over. It happened 20 years ago and the guy was gay. If you know anything about this, you know a lot of gay crime is often clearly the result of oppression and repression. And if you think he's a robot with no feelings and no sense of guilt and pity and all that - you're doing everyone a disservice.

You're talking about this whole thing very one-sided. And that's what I really don't appreciate.

And don't ever talk about my parenting abilities. Ever. Okay? No matter how passionate you are about this issue (I am too). Don't ever talk about me as a parent.

(Sorry if this has gotten too off-topic)

Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  8. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

So, I was the only one who liked the Gordon episode, huh?

9. DVD-fanatic-9

I think most people here are talking about the In Sickness and Health one. At least, that's what I gathered by the people saying things like "the heroine walking up the stairs." But I guess they both (in ISaiH and Eater) did that.

I liked the beginning. But I can't get past this torture-movie crap. C'mon Stuart! You're supposed to be better than these MTv-wannabes.

10. Hey guys, chiming in kinda late.

I find myself tuning in every episode. FI is definitely inferior to both MOH seasons, but there is MUCH worse on TV (not much of a reality TV fan).

With episodes coming up from Ernest Dickerson (Demon Knight), Rupert Wainwright (Stigmata), Darren Lynn Bousmann (Saw 2-4), it doesn't cost me nothing but a wee bit of time to tune in, so I'll be watching!!!

11. Shannafey

Me and DVD fanatic are resolving this via PM, so we don't take it to the board. Sorry everyone!!

12. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

thanks for the heads-up, PV.

Anyone watch last night? I did not.

13. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

No, you guys' arguing was more entertaining than actually watching Fear Itself.

I DVR'd the Stuart Gordon but haven't watched it yet. I guess last night's was recorded as well, but as you can tell, my enthusiasm for the series is pretty much gone.

14. DVD-fanatic-9

Last night, they ran more of Last Comic Standing.
    After Eater, they made an announcement that the show would return on July 17th.
    So they didn't show any episodes last night.

15. Shannafey

Isn't that the truth, Paff!! I gave up on the show. The only one I'm mildly interested in is Steve Niles' ep, but only because it is zombies. His writing usually sucks!!

16. DVD-fanatic-9

Well, I can say one thing - after tonight's Fear Itself, nobody can complain about Tobe Hooper's editing in Dance of the Dead.

It was...a little exciting. It started very well. Then we get into that trademark Saw series MTV-music video jerky editing. In every scene, every other frame. It became annoying very quickly. As did the constant neck cracking by the infected-zombies. And there was pretty much no ending. The twist was quite stupid.

Next week's Mary Harron's episode!! That's going to be the one to beat, that's for sure. I'm over 90% sure that's the one that'll set the standard for "Fear" Itself. That woman really cares about good filmmaking and her attention to storytelling and film elements and the detail she goes into the characters' psyches is always perfect. Minimalist or over the top? She does both perfectly. I have no honest doubt "Community" will kick "Eater" and "Sacrifice"s asses. (Now let's hope I'm right - fingers are not just crossed, they're twisted!)

Last edited: Jul 18, 2008
  17. 3invertednines

3invertednines New Member

I watched the first 10 mins. and the editing/video effects pulled me right out of the story. I couldn't stand it and went to sleep.

You crazy kids and your hipster editing :mad:

18. Shannafey

OMG!! Last night's episode was the biggest piece of shit yet! I can't believe I wasted another hour of my life!! I wasn't going to watch anymore, but I'm a sucker for zombies, so I watched! Steve Niles is the biggest hack ever! I don't know why he is so revered in the horror community. Everything he writes is so derivative! His comics just suck and he originally got famous for an adaptation of I am Legend, not even his original work. 30 Days of Night was a great idea, poorly executed! (I'm talking the comic, not movie) Back to the show itself... the editing was annoying as hell, the zombies constantly snapping their necks was stupid as hell, and the whole "twist"??? Spoilers ahead, but you guys shouldn't even bother watching that piece of shit anyway! What fucking nerve to make an episode like this!! The whole freaking show has you believing she's a human and then you find out she's a zombie?? Why are all the rules changed for her?? She can use a phone, a gun, a car, and elevator and think in general??? All the other zombies are walking around mindless. What crap!! That's like the stupid ending of Haute Tension, which could have been good, but there were too many of these kinds of moments, which took the premise to an extreme level and didn't work!! I fucking hated this episode and somebody shoot me if I watch this show again!!!

19. DVD-fanatic-9

I'm not sure there's much time on the schedule for any of the directors to make a really great style for their episodes. It's all naturally going to look like made-for-TV stuff.

But as far as intelligence goes, well we've tried this show one-way. We got the "Masters of Horror"s products and they've all been disappointing (Eater, Spooked, Sickness/Health). Now I think people need to realize that there are different directors on this slate who will probably make great stuff. If you've seen John Dahl's and Mary Harron's best films, you should be as excited as I am for their upcoming episodes. While not stylistically horror directors, they are some damn smart filmmakers. Just avoid stuff by directors you know don't know what they're doing (the young ones and ones with no experience or hacks - Bousman and Eisner, anyone?).

20. Shannafey

It is not just the directing! The writing is the main problem I have with the show! The stories SUCK! All have had stupid "twist" endings that you either see coming a mile away or just don't work!!