New Masters of Horror series: Fear Itself

Discussion in 'General' started by satans-sadists, Sep 25, 2007.

1. 3invertednines

3invertednines New Member

Hmmm. I'm in the minority I guess. I thought this episode was the worst so far! Like a bad Tales from the Crypt script, without the dark comedy. bleh.

2. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Well, Spooked was completely flat as hell. Though I liked Eric Roberts performance. The Sacrifice couldn't decide what it was, but that helped it to be a little interesting, until the end section. Family Man has its' cliched set ups but most of it really does work, I thought. The best thing about it was it was almost completely unpredictable. Every expectation I had going into it was shattered. And now I have a lot more respect for Ronny Yu, that's for sure. That's a lot to say about a 45 minute television episode.

So I certainly disagree with you.

3. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

I'll check it out.

4. DVD-fanatic-9

Well, except for Family Man, I'd say you haven't missed anything.

5. indiephantom

Yeah, but I'm curious. I miss MASTERS OF HORROR being on...even if it was hit and miss. I like anthologies, but I have lowered expectations now.

6. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

Is it too early to declare this show dead? Or should we just say it was dead on arrival? I was really hoping that John Landis would swoop in and save the day, as I loved both his MoH entries. But, every review I've read for In Sickness and Health is negative. I never thought I'd see the day where I'd actually miss Mick Garris. I think Dread Central said it best:

Amen.

7. puddytay

puddytay Guest

So I just watched the Landis episode and it uh uh uh uh sucked!

8. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Had the ending figured out within the first five minutes. Another lame one. Why the constant cuts to the religious icons? Dull.

9. 3invertednines

3invertednines New Member

^^^^^^ I kept dozing off and everytime I woke up, there was a close up of jesus statue on the screen. Every time.

10. DVD-fanatic-9

Well, I think Family Man was a signal to keep watching. If Ronny Yu can turn in something as decent as that after the horrendous Freddy Vs. Jason, there's a chance this series will at least work on a "thriller" level, which it's obvious to everyone is what NBC was always selling the show as.

Stylistically, yes there's not much there. But "In Sickness and In Health" did look more cinematic in the scenes of the Bride in the dark church than the previous episodes. I agree it was weak, but I'm not sure it was worse than Spooked and The Sacrifice. And, I'm sorry, but I really count both his Masters of Horror contributions to be pretty darn weak. Both in terms of style and story.

I still say what I've said before. There is talent in this series. I think there is a chance Stuart Gordon, Mary Harron, John Dahl, and Fessenden could do something great.

I know this series is disappointing, but don't tell me I'm the only one who knew from the start this wouldn't deliver as a whole. I knew it was doomed. And I expected less from Family Man than I got. But again, this is free stuff here. I'm gonna watch the whole thing. And I'm not going to cry if another good writer or director sinks it. Because, yeah, maybe it's NBC's fault. Or Lionsgate. Who knows?

SPOILER!
    I've got you beat. The first thing I said to myself was - "I'll bet that note was meant for him, not her."

As for me, I made it through the entire episode. But it was pretty weak. Though it did have more strengths than The Sacrifice, so it is the 2nd best contribution so far from the series. As sad as that is to say.

11. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I was thinking the same thing! I was going to stop watching, as I did last week, but I wanted to give Landis' ep a chance. What a piece of shit!! On top of that, it was written by child molestor Victor Salva. I almost turned it off when I saw his name and I didn't! My Bad!! Why the hell is this guy allowed to work in Hollywood? He should be mopping floors or digging ditches, yet he's working in film??? And making crap product as well! Fucking Pedophile!! There is so much injustice in this world!!

12. ThievingWinona

ThievingWinona New Member

I can't believe Landis, of all people, completely insulted horror fans' intelligence with this idiotic episode!

The twist was blatantly obvious a minute in when the bridesmaid is like "how weird that all your other boyfriends just up and disappeared".

Landis should know better.

13. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I'm going one more week, Stuart Gordon, then it comes off the DVR. The more I think about In Sickness and in Health, the more pissed I get. I don't mind a little misdirection, but this was just plain bad. Making the groom suddenly possessive and controlling to augment the misdirection, then having him just as suddenly change character is pointless manipulation (and just as an FYI, I'm intentionally not using spoiler tags here even though I'm quite accustomed to using them). Victor Salva should not be allowed near script-writing software again not because of his criminal background, but because he's completely untalented.

14. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Turned it off last night at about the 8-minute mark and went to bed. Dumb show.

I'll watch the Gordon episode, but, man, what a bummer this is.

15. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    You had the right idea!! I almost did, since the opening banter was so stupid and repetitous! Wish I had!

16. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Stuart Gordon's entry was easily the best so far. I really enjoyed it, even if it did eventually get pretty predictable. Good gore, fantastic atmosphere.

17. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

The latest one just didn't do it for me.It seemed like 30% of the show was devoted to the heroine running up and down the same staircase again and again.One note plot.

18. geeare

geeare Guest

this series is horrible. I shant be watching any more of them.

19. indiephantom

and once again I forgot to check it out. Sounds like it's a must to avoid anyhow. Too bad.

20. geeare

geeare Guest

I did kind of enjoy the first one I saw which took place at the same location as Ginger Snaps 3, haha.