New Masters of Horror series: Fear Itself

Discussion in 'General' started by satans-sadists, Sep 25, 2007.

1. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

I thought the episode was ok. I have a feeling the DVD version will probably be a bit longer.

I just hope NBC lets the series run all of its episodes. You know how network TV likes to pull the plug very early on new shows. Masters of SCIFI got pulled before airing all their episodes, though it had a very shitty timeslot when it was being aired.

2. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

That I would count on. It's rerun season anyway, and summer. There are no "sweeps" till November I believe. This is the time of year they burn off shows that are already in the can.

3. 3invertednines

3invertednines New Member

July is a sweeps period, but it's generally ignored because most people are outside, and not sitting in front of a tv.

I fell asleep 20 mins. into last nights episode. Was it any better than the first one?

4. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Haven't seen the second ep yet(have it on tape) but the first episode was good. Hard to compare with the SHO series because on SHO they had a full hour to tell the story. Here on NBC they about 40 some odd minutes. But it was pretty good. I'm sure there were some people in shock that night if they ran into that channel. There were some pushing the envelope scenes in the ep. (then again, I wonder how many considering more people watched Swingtown then Fear)

5. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I thought last night's Bad Anderson episode was a big improvement over the first episode. It had a bit of a session 9 vibe to it. Overall I thought it was well done.

6. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Haven't seen Habit yet, but there were moments in Wendigo that I thought were awful. But there were other moments that I thought the movie was genius. I simultaneously loved and hated the movie. Very, very strange movie.

I haven't seen most of the 2nd season. I saw 4 of the films/episodes and that was enough. But the first season was excellent on the whole. I felt that there were only 5 films/episodes in the first season that were really weak - Dreams in the Witch House, Chocolate, Haekel's Tale, Homecoming, and Deer Woman. On the whole, I was extremely refreshed and surprised at how good the show was. At least they certainly fixed most of my biggest pet peeves of horror right now. No remakes, no stupid teen-driven horror, none of them took place in grungy, fluorescent-lit basements or bathrooms, and finally, finally thank God: some frickin' imagination and style injected back into the genre. And some really interesting scores too. Especially the music for Cigarette Burns, Dreams in the Witch House, Incident On and Off a Mountain Road, Dance of the Dead, Sick Girl, Jenifer, Pick Me Up. Okay, all of the first season had impressive scores I thought.

I pretty much knew right off the bat what we were going to end up with. Some really poor made-for-TV horror. And unfortunately, so far, this show is complete garbage. I don't even think I'm going to bother with next week's episode.

Well, I'll tell you - while watching Brad Anderson's episode and a commercial would come, I flipped right to Swingtown and was comparing how much better made Swingtown was than Spooked. Why do some people work so hard on some writing for television and others don't try at all? I shouldn't be surprised, though. The writer of Spooked is the same guy who wrote MoH: Pelts. And Pelts sucked.

7. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    My God! Spooked was a piece of shit! I'm through with this series! That episode had no point and really made no sense at all when it came down to it. And what kind of F**King message were they trying to make? He was supposed to feel guilty for torturing animals and criminals. I mean the first guy he was torturing was holding a little boy hostage, tied up in a closet!! You're telling me the Eric Roberts character is supposed to feel guilty or should pay for killing this psycho or worse yet, pedophile?? That just put me over the edge! The ending was stupid as hell too! That's it for me. Masters of Horror was at least 50% bad, this is 100% so far. There are so many better things to watch. I'll try Swingtown.

8. DVD-fanatic-9

That's what I thought, too. Most people online seem to think it was an improvement over The Sacrifice but I completely disagree. Not because Sacrifice was so much better, it wasn't. But just because it was actually interesting and even though it couldn't make up its' mind on a subgenre to stick to, at least it made you think for a while. With Spooked, it was just flat. Nothing new happened. And I never found myself wondering or thinking about the people or anything. It was completely predictable. I've seen everything this episode did in another movie before. The only thing that improved from this episode over the last was the style. And I'd rather have a less stylish movie with something for my brain than a stylish movie that is completely lifeless. That seems to be Brad Anderson's specialty. Movies about people who are just walking corpses. I haven't seen Session 9, but isn't that pretty much what he does in all his movies? There's one person who is 'not really there', and everyone else is fairly normal?

Agreed again. Only, first of all- did anyone else think that the guy lived? He wasn't really dead when he was on the stretcher, he was just bleeding and weak. Second, it seemed like they were trying to make the point that in his new job, he had changed his bad ways. That now he was pretty much a different person. Third, someone looked like they were making the point that the house had some kind of supernatural power to make the person's inner demons come out. Whatever made them a bad person or whatever, they would have to face it again. Fourth, when Eric Roberts was in the house and the ghost was talking to him, he said that of all the suspects that Roberts interrogated, there was at least one that wasn't guilty of anything. It seems like the episode was saying that that's what he should feel guilty for. That hurting people for a reason can make you start hurting people for no reason at all.

Maybe. But probably.

However, I hope people aren't making excuses for this character just because they've already made them for cops in shows like The Shield. That would even further go to show that this episode had nothing new up its' sleeve and it was just relying on something every show or movie involving a cop character is doing.

9. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Did anybody bring up the fact, that the run down house was right in the middle of a development of expensive homes. Kinda funny.

10. DVD-fanatic-9

I noticed that but I had no idea what it was supposed to mean.

11. Shannafey

Yeah, that made no sense at all!! I'm pretty much finished with the show. Although I want to see John Landis' episode and maybe Stuart Gordon's. The zombie one sounds great, but it is written by Steve Niles and despite how famous he is, he is an overrated hack. He got famous for comic adaptations of great horror and when he writes his own stuff, it isn't original, nor really that good. 30 Days of Night was a really good film, but the original graphic novel actually sucks! The art is a huge part of why it sucks, but Niles story idea was great but poorly executed.

12. DVD-fanatic-9

Just saw Ronny Yu's episode, "Family Man." Count me shocked and pleasently surprised! This one gets a thumbs-up from me.

If this series really is going to get 13 single-discs from Lionsgate, I will definitely be picking up Family Man.

13. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

damn. Forgot this was happening. So what...three have aired thus far? When is it on? Okay, okay. I'll stop being a lazy ass and read the rest of the thread.

14. DVD-fanatic-9

Thursday nights, 10 PM, NBC.

15. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I don't think I'd buy Family Man on DVD, but it's the best episode by far. Unfortunately, that's not saying much at all.

I watched both Spooked and Family Man tonight. Spooked was horrible. Same as the first episode, it was all over the place. Family Man kept it all to a single story, so it worked a little better.

16. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

SPOOKED was decently acted but I picked up the twist ten minutes into it.Seemed like it might be about to do something a bit different but then it had a payoff that just wasn't satisfying.Also,as stated by others before me,kinda hard to fret over a guy roughing up a damn kidnapper.Haven't seen FAMILY MAN yet.

17. Shannafey

It figures, I stopped watching and you guys thought last night's was good!! I'll definitely watch next week, as it is John Landis' ep.

18. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

By the way, is anyone else completely disgusted by the NBC advertising bug in the picture?

THAT is the biggest crime of Fear Itself. Not the scripts or the direction, not the commercial breaks (that's what DVRs are for), not the lack of violence or nudity, not the shorter length, but that stupid bug. Your eyes are drawn to it, as if you had an Optigrab(TM).

19. Shannafey

All of the networks are doing this kind of stuff Paff. It gets to be ridiculous!!

20. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I don't recall it being in place for an entire episode like this, although I rarely watch network stuff anyway. I think it's more noticeable because it's white and a lot of Fear Itself is done with dark scenes. That, and it tries for a more "cinematic" approach (content-wise) than a sitcom, animated program, or reality show. So it becomes more glaring.

Could be worse. Watch a Family Guy rerun on TBS. The episode will actually FREEZE so that Bill Eggball or whoever it is can come on screen and pimp his show.