New Masters of Horror series: Fear Itself

Discussion in 'General' started by satans-sadists, Sep 25, 2007.

1. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Fangoria:

According to The Hollywood Reporter, MASTERS OF HORROR creator Mick Garris and his fellow executive producers Keith Addis and Andrew Deane are backing a new 13-episode, hour-long fright anthology series called FEAR ITSELF, which will air on NBC next summer. Lionsgate is also involved with the show—and since, as we first revealed here, that company had previously signed to co-produce a third MASTERS season, it would seem that FEAR ITSELF is a rebranding of that concept now that it's on a broadcast network instead of cable. It remains to be seen how extreme FEAR will be, since unlike MASTERS, it will presumably have to adhere to Standards and Practices—though its creators plan to employ seasoned practitioners of the terror craft behind the scenes, much as MASTERS did. (The Reporter notes that Lionsgate plans to employ filmmakers who have made horror features under its umbrella, which suggests that Eli Roth and Rob Zombie, among others, are possibilities.) Producers Adam Goldworm and Ben Browning also encore from MASTERS; production is scheduled to begin in early 2008, and we'll keep you posted as talent signs on.

2. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

I watched a few of the Masters of SCIFI which is on network television and it was far worse than what MOH was. I can only imagine how this will turn out.

3. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

yea on regular television doesnt give it much of a chance to be better than what was on showtime- and teh series on showtime had some stinkers

4. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Wow... I can't even comprehend this information. The words "NBC" and "Masters of Horror" do not go in the same sentence. Ever. In fact, not just standards and practices, but commercials as well! Does that mean each film will go 2 hours on TV? Will the budgets be bigger? Will there be more time for each person? And does anyone actually think Eli Roth and Rob Zombie will agree to make things for NBC?

5. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

While I always felt that several MASTERS segments were overpadded and should have been tightened up,the network restrictions are likely gonna hamstring this and I seriously doubt that they will get the same caliber of name directors to step up and do a show for over the air TV.This is a troubling turn of events.

6. Luna

Luna Guest

Actually, I could see network television working for it, if they can turn out some well-written, classic horror stories that don't require nudity, cursing or excessive gore. The supernatural, "witches", stuff like that. Think "The Others" or "The Skeleton Key" for fairly recent examples within this decade anyway. I'd give it a chance.

7. 17thJuggalo

17thJuggalo Active Member

This is a train wreck waiting to happen.

8. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

Yep.

9. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

From what I've read from message boards, It looks like Stuart Gordon is doing "Autopsy" by Micheal Shea, John Carpenter is doing another McWeeny/Swan story called "Skin and Bones", Mick Garris is adapting Stephen King's short story "Home Delivery" Brad Anderson, Tobe Hooper also seem to be on board while Joe Dante seems to me a maybe along with Wes Craven.

10. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

All I can say after seeing "Cigarette Burns" and "Pro-Life" is how much more I would prefer Carpenter writing his own material once again.

11. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Seven directors announced on Bloody-Disgusting:

Stuart Gordon (Re-Animator, From Beyond)
    Brad Anderson (Session 9, Machinist)
    Mary Harron (American Psycho)
    Breck Eisner (upcoming Crazies remake)
    Ronny Yu (Freddy vs Jason)
    Ernest Dickerson (Demon Knight)
    John Carpenter (Halloween, The Thing)

12. DVD-fanatic-9

YES!!! :banana:

13. DeathDealer

DeathDealer I Inhale Horror

Yes and No. That list could do without Breck Eisner. They need more veterans on the list.

14. DVD-fanatic-9

A bunch of new info for the show was released yesterday.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/tvnews.php?id=42518

Most of the stories are being revealed. John Carpenter's involvement is not listed anywhere. But, John Landis has been confirmed, as well as Saw sequels director Darren Bousman. No other directors are listed apart from the original 7, so this now makes 9.

The new stories (apart from Stuart Gordon's Eater, Breck Eisner's Red Snow, Mary Harron's Community, Brad Anderson's Spooked, and Carpenter's rumored Skin & Bones) are:

Something with Bite - Ernest Dickerson's werewolf episode
    Nightmare in Lace - John Landis's serial killer episode (written by Jeepers Creepers and Clownhouse screenwriter, Victor Salva)
    New Year's Day - Darren Bousman's post-apocalyptic zombie episode (written by 30 Days of Night writer, Steve Niles)
    Family Man - Ronny Yu's body-switching serial killer thriller episode
    and
    Chance - a "Jekyll & Hyde" doppelganger episode, no director yet attached

Well, other than the fact that most of those story ideas sound quite boring, NBC are tapping mostly network TV writers and actors to participate.

I still feel the same way I felt before - I will check it out. Since it's on NBC, it will be free to those of us without Showtime, and if any of the stories are good enough, I will eventually pick up some of the episodes on DVD.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2008
  15. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

There's a trailer for this series out now ...

I'll watch the episodes, but that trailer, frankly, doesn't fill me with hope. Looks kind of ... mediocre.

16. DeathDealer

DeathDealer I Inhale Horror

The directors are totally subpar compared to the Masters of Horror lineup.

17. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

Well we get a werewolf episode and a Landis ep, plus I have hope for the Anderson one....nothing in that trailer blew me away but those three eps I just mentioned are enough to make me check this series out. I may even give Carpenter a chance....

Good thing they didn't call this Masters of Horror. I mean Breck Eisner???? A couple of upcoming remakes and that's it.

Last edited: May 5, 2008
  18. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

I actually liked the trailer. Some decent actors involved...I have hopes that a couple of episodes will be genuinely cool.

19. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

I think it looks cool, but some of that acting was not so encouraging. Will check it out, though.

20. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

Brad Anderson kicks ass.