new "I Spit on Your Grave " starring Camille Keaton!

Discussion in 'General' started by rxfiend, Sep 20, 2014.

1. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I'm up for it.

2. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Looks like it was shot with a cell phone.

Steel76 likes this.
  3. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Well, I was stupid enough, to download the movie.
    After about 30 minutes of terrible amateur acting, I noticed that the movies was 2 hrs and 30 minutes long.
    No way in hell, would I sit through 2 more hours of this shit.
    So I started to fast forward through the rest of it, and even that made me wanna kill myself.

It just feels like a shitty fan made sequel, stretched waaaaaaaaaaay to long.

I knew from watching the trailer, that it would be crap, but for some stupid reason, I still gave it a chance.
    When the hell will I learn from my mistakes...

Colin, Matt89, Zombie Dude and 4 others like this.
  4. hellraiser40

hellraiser40 Well-Known Member

does Camille Keaton actually have a film role where she doesn't get raped?!

5. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

This is a hard pass I got Escape Room instead which was cool if u like the Cube trilogy.

6. Cooperkill

Cooperkill Well-Known Member

Wait just a minute here. The running time is 148 minutes! Are you kidding me? Two and a half hours for a rape/revenge sequel? That's insane. I'll still see it, but damn.

7. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Well that trailer looked God awful and extremely try hard. Hard pass.

I still have never see the original film but I thought the remake and even its sequel weren't too bad.

Katatonia likes this.
  8. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

2 and a half hours, ow shit, don't know I can sit through it for that long.

9. Cooperkill

Cooperkill Well-Known Member

hots4, Steel76 and Katatonia like this.
  10. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I also sat through The Avengers of rape-revenge films (2.5 hours!), and can't say I'd recommend it however some of the choices made here are so baffling and outrageous that I kind of had to admire the audacity. Meir Zarchi hasn't directed a film in over 30 years, and this definitely feels like a movie made by someone who hasn't made a movie in 30 years!

I was actually kind of with it up until
    Camille Keaton is decapitated on the mausoleum steps,
    but after that it gets pretty repetitive and dull. There are points where I'd think to myself, holy crap this thing is still going? Every scene in the movie goes on way longer than it should, and there's no reason this should have been 2.5 hours. The main villain reminded me of Ma from Friday The 13th: A New Beginning, only she gets her knockers out.

Also, it was very confusing because I believe this was supposed to be the same town from the original film, which has incredible atmosphere and beautiful Connecticut locations in stark contrast to the ugliness of the film's content. The villains here are relatives of one of the hick rapists from the original, and they make references that they are near New York. However, the entire movie is aggressively southern Californian, complete with palm trees and all, which is just not how geography works. Horror fans will probably recognize the mausoleum from A Nightmare On Elm Street and Mausoleum. The cemetery scenes are especially baffling, because you can see the heavy LA traffic from an adjacent road driving by in the background. Characters are running through this cemetery screaming for help or rescue, and I'm like turn around and there's a heavily populated road right behind you. Look, I can see it right there.

You know those restaurants where if you eat a 20 lb burger you win a free t-shirt and get your photo on the wall? I feel like I Spit On Your Grave: Deja Vu is kind of the cinematic equivalent of that. I came, I saw, I conquered, and now I'm moving on with my life.

Cooperkill likes this.
  11. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Finally got around to picking this up. Got the blu-ray off Amazon, which is a BD-R with a single menu that just has PLAY MOVIE on it. A homemade release if I've ever seen one. But hey, the V/A quality is actually pretty good. As for the movie itself, it is what it is. I didn't expect a masterpiece and of all 5 films in this series (still can't believe this is a franchise, lol), it's definitely at the bottom. My main complaint is the running time. It's in dire need of an editor. This movie could have been cut down to HALF it's running time and been a much better paced movie for it. But the movie is just weird. I think CPT HOOK said it best in his closing statement about the movie.

12. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I watched this, this evening, God whst s pile of shit, it's worst than I ever expected, bafflingly bad, but it was cheap (1 English pound for the blu ray)

If there are any fans of this movie here, I'm here to recommend the UK disc, it's a pressed disc and has an abundance of extras and the one I think most here will be interested in is a commentary from Joe Bob Briggs! I've listened to the first 10 minutes and it's more entertaining than the standard movie! I'll try and listen to it all if I get a chance, but this may be what helps sway some who have been on the fence or for those who love Joe and didn't know the commentary existed.

Additional note: I have checked the disc this morning and unfortunately it is Region B locked, based on the message that appears they really wanted to set it region free but were stopped as a condition of licence.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021 at 1:30 PM
    russweiss likes this.
  13. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

OK, I finally gave this steaming pile of dog crap a spin in my player this weekend. Everything everyone has said already was dead-on balls accurate (industry term), but I'm gonna say something super crazy here: I did not hate this movie. Didn't like it either, but as bad as it was, it was never boring. I've sat through much shorter movies where I was bored to death of them and then checked the elapsed time only to see that there was like 30 minutes left! That didn't happen with this movie. Let me hit up the major critiques of this Cleveland steamer of a movie:

1. Amateurish. Oh yeah, definitely. Now I didn't see the LA traffic in the background that Hook saw, but I could definitely tell it was made in California and nowhere near Connecticut. How about that "town" where "Johnny's Station" is located? It's a set, and not a very good one. Or the grave markers of the four creeps from the '78 film. Four half-assed crosses planted in an existing cemetery. I mean, even Ed Wood took the time to make papier-mache tombstones in Plan 9. Final interesting note: The half-assed crosses all had photos of the original actors, stills from the film. The photo of Matthew used for his memorial is a close-up of his face while he's raping Jennifer. Seriously, Meir, you didn't notice that??

2. The length. Yes, way too long. There were pointless subplots (flowers???) and way too many long speeches before deaths, but even with a bit of trimming this still would have pushed close to two hours. For such a crappy film, a lot actually happens in it.

3. The acting. I saved the worst for last. This is the biggest problem with the film, and you'll notice it immediately as it begins with a radio call-in show that Jennifer is the guest on. The dialogue of the "caller" and Jennifer's response were soooooooooo bad. And seriously, Camille Keaton was terrible in this. I mean, it's not like she was snubbed for an Oscar in 1978 either, but it was better than this. The main male villain (forgot the character's name, too lazy to look it up) really stunk up the joint too, I can't believe no one noticed that and chose to back off some (all) of his dialogue.

OK, and one plot hole I wanted to address, I'll spoilerize it.
    How did everyone know that Christy was Johnny's daughter? And if they did, how did Christy NOT know? If it was in Jennifer's book, I'd assume she'd have read it. And on that note, how did Jennifer know Christy was Johnny's? I mean, technically she could be Matthew's too, as there's no guarantee that Matthew's handicap would be passed on to a child.

But as bad as it was (and again, it was BAD), I'd still rank it above the 1st and 3rd films of the remake trilogy. But below the 2nd, I actually thought that was a pretty good ("good" in terms of ISOYG movies) entry.