My Top 10 Vampire Films

Discussion in 'General' started by thing, Nov 28, 2014.

1. thing

thing Well-Known Member

I found it to be almost unbelievably bad

2. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

My favourites remain the original Salem's Lot miniseries and Lemora: A Child's Tale of the Supernatural. The former is one of the only vampire films (okay, I know it's a miniseries) to actually frighten me, and the latter has an almost haunted atmosphere to it, plus I love that whole grindhouse vibe. It's also got an interesting subtext.

None of the Hammer vampire movies top my list - they're enjoyable enough, but they don't really get under my skin. If it qualifies, I probably like Countess Dracula the best.

For some reason, the '79 Nosferatu didn't strike a cord with me when I first saw it more than a decade ago. I should probably give it a second chance, but it's not really high priority.

3. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

That was my reaction to the sequel (though I promised myself I'd never admit one was made), but I thought the first one was quite good.

4. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

A sub-genre all-time top 10 list that includes no films from before 1987 says more about your cinematic prejudices than anything else. We're all entitled to our own opinions. But you clearly have a very strong preference for modern films.

5. thing

thing Well-Known Member

NOPE, not at all, most all of my favourite films are between the 50's and 70's I just think its a weak subgenre and it just so happens with this one in particular that I prefer more of the modern films.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
  6. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Vampire films have taken such a radical shift since the 80's it's hard to even reconcile the different generations. Anne Rice almost single-handedly broke the genre and Stephenie Meyer jammed those disjointed pieces into a misshapened heap. A lot of the 80's films mentioned in this thread fed directly into this current state and leave a foul taste in my mouth when I see them now.

I really miss vampires that were true ghouls more akin to ghosts than moody teens who occasionally drink some blood like vegetarians on a binge night. Let The Right One In took it back a notch and for that I'm grateful. I've grown to love 1931's Dracula with its stellar cast of Edward Van Sloane, Dwight Frye and of course Bela Lugosi. Yet even that is under siege by fanatics preferring the cheesy Spanish version.

Not a lot of love for Hammer here, and I agree the Frankenstein series is much better than the Dracula series, but Vampire Lovers immediately springs to my mind as worthy consideration. Black Sabbath is great too, although only a segment, but Black Sunday is excellent as well. Herzog's Nosferatu is a masterpiece I had not watch in nearly a decade until BFi had put out their Blu-ray. Many of its sights and sounds stayed with me all though these years even though I'd only see it a few times. If that's no longer a contender in people's minds then I don't want to be right.

7. rift

rift New Member

no love for Subspecies??

8. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I always prefer vampire movies that throw the genre for a loop. That's why there's no way I'd do a top ten list that didn't include Martin, Captain Kronos Vampire Hunter, or Blood for Dracula (aka Andy Warhol's Dracula)

9. thing

thing Well-Known Member

Well Martin made the video montage of films that just missed out, it was a contender I tells ya.

10. thing

thing Well-Known Member

Does not appear to be generally.

11. Christy

Christy Active Member

I think it's safe to say making a definitive 10 best Vampire List just isn't possible.

12. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

I'd probably (and maybe weakly) argue that it's as much a vampire film as Martin is.

13. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

WTF no Twilight?!?!? ;)

Agreed!