My Bloody Valentine Special Edition In The Works!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by vampyr789, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

I seriously doubt that Lionsgate would include an introduction to the deleted scenes from a pissed off special effects designer who would basically be saying:

"Fuck the MPAA and Paramount for deleting all of my great gore effects back in 1981. And, fuck Lionsgate for not including those deleted gore effects on this DVD. Oh, but here's a lovely little scene with some of our characters talking on the street. I have no idea why I'm introducing this scene but enjoy nonetheless."

2. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I think you just don't want it to be true. Why be so skeptical?
    :lol: Gold.

3. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

If Mihalka wants to add back non-gore stuff in this new cut, that's fine. As director, it's his right and honestly, not a lot of directors get the opportunity to produce a director's cut of their work. "Final Cut" is a rare thing unless you're Spielberg, Tarantino, etc.

I just hope that he'll keep in mind that what probably didn't work 30 years ago, might also not work today and that adding back too many scenes that may not belong can seriously alter the tone and pace of a film with an already established fan base. Again I point at Deep Red. Anchor Bay is the reason I haven't gotten rid of my VHS boot of a Japanese laserdisc.

4. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

What is wrong with Deep Red anyways? I've never seen the original cut of it, but I think the Anchor Bay's DVD plays fine. I don't notice any boring scenes, or anything that doesn't seem like it belongs. What did they add that made it so much worse?

5. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Didn't they add back a few scenes where the English audio had been lost? (Kindof an odd move on their part.) The movie suddenly goes from English, to Italian, then back to English. It's kindof strange.

~Matt

6. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Yeah that's what they did. They provided the entire Italian audio though, so I just watch the entire film in Italian with subs most of the time so I don't even notice the added material. Unless I'm showing it to a friend.

7. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

The cut I have, from the Japanese Laserdisc, is the original Italian version, with only the blood/gore added back. The film is taut, suspenseful, and scary.

Anchor Bay's disc is a snoozer for someone who grew up on repeated viewings of the leaner cut.

For someone unfamiliar with the uncut Italian version, the Anchor Bay one probably isn't too bad (though it does little to differentiate itself from other long, drawn out gialli.) If you're a fan of more character oriented, slower paced gialli, AB's is the one to go with.

I prefer a leaner, brisk pace, however. Nothing in AB's cut made the film any better, it just made it longer (to me, anyway).

8. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

9. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

remember when The Burning was gettin it's DVD release last year?? well, the cover has the rated R logo on it, but the film is 100% Uncut. So this is probably the case.

10. Marv Inc.

Marv Inc. Active Member

Interview from a few years back might be of intrest to some:

TT: Right. We asked Dunning about the MBV cuts and he places the blame firmly on a vindictive Jack Valenti [then head of the MPAA].

According to Dunning, Valenti was upset that a company like Paramount was debasing itself by turning to horror films. And so Valenti released his anger at Paramount by 'emasculating' MBV at ratings time.

Paramount basically left it up to Cinépix to get the film passed and being an independent, Dunning feels, left them without any real power to put up a fight. In effect, Valenti decided to teach Paramount a lesson.

GM: Yes, of course there was that layer going on too. The whole thing was very disappointing and actually kind of depressing. My feeling about making any film has been that you make the best you possibly can.

If you're making a slasher horror film, you've got to make it a slasher. Horrible and ugly. One of the things we always wanted to do philosophically...was not to make it pretty. I mean, this shit was supposed to hurt.

TT: You've already touched upon it, but we were going to ask how the harsh cuts affected you personally.

GM: Well, it was kind of depressing only because four months later, you go to the theatre and you see stuff going on and you think, "oh my God, we did it so much better."

TT: Were you angry?

GM: No...by that time there was no anger. We were so damned exhausted. I would say that from the end of June until that February, we were all sleep-deprived zombies. Basically, I took a cruise from Los Angeles to Jamaica. What can you do? It was not in our control.

I stopped off in Dallas, watched all the MBV promos at the airport...it was on the radio, everywhere you can imagine. I just disappeared for a few months to Jamaica and the Keys with Steve Miller, my producer.

We thought we did the best we could. It still did okay. Box-office wise, it did pretty well. [MBV was released theatrically on February 11, 1981 and would go on to earn just under $6 million in overall ticket sales].

TT: Dunning says he has 8-9 minutes of the cut footage. We've already discussed here what kinds of gore cuts would be in that footage. And we're gorehounds just as much as anyone. But would there be any exposition in that? Any non-gore?

GM: I don't seem to remember any full scenes as such being cut. Probably out of that 9 minutes, there must be a few minutes of dialogue at the end or beginning of a sequence. I haven't seen that footage. I believe John when he says that most of it is the gore.

The reality is that all these sequences have a build up to the carnage and to the aftermath, which had to be cut much shorter.

Like for instance, there's at least a minute just from Sylvia's death that's gone. And keep in mind that we have a healthy body count with MBV.

TT: Why don't you have a copy of that uncut stuff?

GM: The answer lies in the technology of those days. In 1980, we were all working on film. There were no video copies. We had a work print.

Basically, we had negatives and we had work prints. So, whatever the work print of the director's cut was would then get re-cut and become the final cut.

At the time, there was no real way of documenting and/or preserving a stage in a cut like you do now. The same reel of film that you watched your first cut (which could have been 2 1/2 hours long) became the reel.

And now the reel would go to 1 1/2 hours long...with 8 frames here and 10 frames there and 13 frames there and 17 frames there, all accounted for because they used to have these numbers on the side of the negative and the work print that would match so that you would know where it came from.

So you'd end up with a couple of reels of unused footage. Generally, the work print would be put away.

Now, negatives you don't keep yourself. You have to keep a negative generally in a vault. It's an extremely fragile thing, especially as the years go by. Even that negative, from what I understand, took a long time to find.

Because of the fact that in Canada 25 years ago (aside from John Dunning's company Cinépix) most companies made a film and when it was finished, the offices would disappear and the same people would come up with a new name and new company and make another film.

There wasn't really that much continuity among what you would call permanent production houses. Aside from John's. I think the only reason he has those [cuts] is because he had a permanent production house.

Normally, that stuff would have just been thrown out because once you've delivered the film, what do you need it for?

TT: Dunning just discovered the footage within the past couple of years. He mentioned to us that it's in excellent shape too, which is good news. Was there other footage that you can recall?

GM: Oh yeah. There's quite a bit of footage that wasn't used, of course, like in all films. At one point, John contacted me a few years ago about maybe doing a Director's Cut of MBV and I said sure.

And then we found out that aside from those snippets that were cut out from the nasty bits, all the rest of the footage has disappeared. That was apparently in Los Angeles some place.

TT: So in addition to the 8-9 minutes that Dunning has, there was other footage in the can...but which is now missing?

GM: Yes.

TT: That's a shame.

GM: You know, when you're trying to make a film at the time, sometimes some of the atmosphere shots would have been gone. You can cut a scene short or you can cut a scene long.

TT: Were you approached by Paramount for the DVD release, either for an audio commentary or interview?

GM: No. I wasn't even really aware of its release until my daughter and some friends watched the DVD and she came running down and said, "Dad, you made MY BLOODY VALENTINE?!"

TT: What a missed opportunity for MBV fans.

11. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Jack Valenti was an asshole.

~Matt

12. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

amen brother!!!!

13. SickNick89

SickNick89 Member

shit, the more the merrier, as far as i'm concerned put it all in! As long as the gores there i'm going to complain about more for free. I have the paramount release sitting on my shelt if i ever want to watch a trimmed down version.

14. Zombie Dude

Well we're supposedly getting that trimmed down version too.

15. RickMoe

RickMoe New Member

There is a new press release one-sheet here in Canada that is very similar to the US one already posted on this thread. Both one-sheets look very similar except these differences on the Canadian one...

- No uncut gore photos appear on the background of the page. It is instead made up of black with red scratch marks.
    - Unlike the US one which displays an R rating in the lower left corner, the Canadian one makes no mention of a rating at all. But there is no UNRATED, NOT RATED or UNCUT label either.
    - A generic running time states "Horror - 90 minutes"

The generic 90 minutes is a nice round number so hopefully it is simply just that. Paramount's R-rated cut lists the film as 90 minutes too, but as this cut will also be available on Lionsgate's DVD, this hopefully isn't anything to worry about.

16. Zombie Dude

I'm not too worried. I would rather them not branch the footage though.

17. RickMoe

RickMoe New Member

I agree.

18. Zombie Dude

It seems easier to just add the footage back with the film rather than link sections of the print to cut footage and then back again.

19. RickMoe

RickMoe New Member

It is - far easier to just add the one track of the film containing the additional scenes rather than building new navigation directions in the authoring of the DVD.

Makes me wonder if Lionsgate has a contractual obligation with Paramount to release their original theatrical version as part of the Special Edition. Perhaps they were unable to create a new cut of the film so had to settle for adding things to it?

20. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Regardless, why does it matter? Unless your player has issues with seamless branching, this shouldn't affect you one way or another.