My Bloody Valentine Special Edition In The Works!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by vampyr789, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

Some very good points. But, if this footage from F13 7 is truly gone, lost, destroyed, or no longer exists...then how is there the shitty VHS workprint? All I am saying is that the director does not know what happened to every piece of film associated with the butchering of his film--especially a FRIDAY film through Paramount!!! His film was cut to shit and it wasn't by his hand. So, who did it and what became of the cut footage?

And, yes, the newly-discovered footage from METROPOLIS was indeed "gone forever" a few years ago, but, voila!

2. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

He was the director though. I'm sure he had a say in what to cut out. Maybe not what was to be done with the removed footage, but surely what was to be removed.

3. I think it is awesome that due to our efforts we were able to get this movie released in the most complete form possible at this time. I am a bit alarmed by the rumblings that the 5.1 mix might not be included now.

4. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

WAIT!! where did you hear/read that???

5. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

The workprint definitely came from an unfinished version of the film. (Remember, on his commentary, the director states that some of the effects weren't done. "You get the basic idea.") Some of the gore isn't even complete, so this was definitely made during the production stage.

These films did not mean much to a major studio. They made them for one (and only one) reason: Profit. They honestly didn't give a rat's ass about these films, and nor should they have. They were made to cash in on the "slasher boom" of the '80s, none of them are particularly well-made, and they were all rushed into production, released and then *boom* another sequel went into production.

The cut footage was most likely scrapped when it was cut. It wasn't like they said to eachother, "Oh, be sure to keep the cut footage! There's gonna be this thing called DVD that's gonna come out in like 15 years and we're gonna put out uncut special editions of these films!" No. I mean, we ARE talking about FRIDAY THE THIRTEENTH PART SEVEN here, lol. I'd be willing to bet no footage for any of the Friday films exists aside from part 1.

The director knew what was cut from his film. (I mean, they ARE allowed into the editing room, this isn't classical Hollywood lol.) If a major studio like Paramount kept everything from every film they ever made, they'd have no room in their vaults. The footage is gone. Hell, there were scenes from REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE that were cut (through the Hollywood production code) and scrapped. YES, CUT AND SCRAPPED, for a film like REBEL. The footage is gone. It no longer exists! So, the chances that cut footage from Friday VII still exists are beyond small. It's gone.

~Matt

6. I think somebody here said something about that. I might be wrong though.

7. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

I hear you loud and clear. But I am just playing devil's advocate for the fact that, no matter if the picture is big or small, sometimes those cut bits turn up in private collections (long before the advent of home video) and such. I am sure that Paramount didn't put the cut bits into the hands of each director, leading them by the arm to the studio incinerator.

8. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

LOL yeah, you can have hope....I guess. :)

~Matt

9. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

Lions Gate loooooooves integral cuts:

[​IMG]

Doing exactly what I thought Paramount should have done in the box set with the footage they have. I know they don't have it all, but integral is the way to go, yo.

10. rijir

rijir Member

Actually with Metropolis all they found was a 16mm print of the believed uncut version. They released some images of the film and it isn't a pristine copy by any means. The original film elements are lost and most likely do not exist anymore. So in this case it is someones' copy that saved the day.

11. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Uhhh....that's exactly what I said. :)

It's definitely in terrible shape, but it's being remastered. (Sure, you can only do so much.) But the point is, we DO have film elements, whereas no film elements AT ALL exist for Friday the 13th, Part VII's gore footage.

~Matt

12. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

oooh i can't wait at least we finally got confirmation now

13. Buddusky

Buddusky New Member

Matt89 you make it sound like you know it all... saying things like the cut or missing footage for this or that film is gone forever. I read years ago that a lot of the cut footage from Ken Russells The Devils was lost and would never be seen again but a few years ago Mark Kermode searched and searched and found the reels with the missing footage wrongly marked with what was on them. So never say never.

14. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

It's just an educated guess. :D

And well, seeing as how the information came from the director himself, he said it didn't exist and all we have is a workprint VHS in terrible shape. I'm taking his word for it. I mean, he would know best. He WAS the director of the film.

~Matt

15. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

even though i am overjoyed that MBV is gettin a UNCUT DVD release, why is there only two featurettes, and the deleted scenes included??? why didn't they record an audio commentary, and why didn't they include the TV spot/trailer that is all over youtube!?!?! i know i really shouldn't rant about something like this but, i think it would be nice to hear an audio commentary and see the TV spot/trailer too.

16. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

i can't remember where i read this, but i believe that the deleted footage for most of the friday films still exists, i read an interview with one of the film editors over at paramount and they were talking to him about the friday films and he said that when a film is cut, the footage is taken out and then put into a can and stored, so somewhere in the paramount vaults the footage for most of the friday's is there, it just needs to be found.

17. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

So it's finally confirmed by LG. Happy days!

18. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Why give the option? I'm hoping the footage is in good shape.

19. Bobbywoodhogan

Bobbywoodhogan Active Member

Ahhh the sweet smell of victory :D

20. dickieduvet

dickieduvet Member

I'm all over this, The power of persuasion prevails :)