My Bloody Valentine Special Edition In The Works!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by vampyr789, Oct 28, 2008.

1. RidgeShark

RidgeShark New Member

If there's no delay for this release, then it will be obvious that it was always going to be uncut and that LG screwed up and gave out bad info. Why would they do that though? Either way, I'm glad I signed the petition and wrote a letter.

2. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

Not to get back on the topic of F13 Part VII Uncut again, but digging through some old pics of mine, I found the original banner that either someone here or someone over at the HTF created back in the day to promote the earlier mentioned petition...

[​IMG]

The date it was saved to my computer was Sept. 20, 2001. Oh, the memories. :)

3. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Seems like you had a nice campaign going there.:)

4. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

too bad it didn't work. If I recall correctly, I think one of the guys at Paramount (his name escapes me at the moment) was toying with the idea of including the workprint, in VHS quality, as a supplement for the p7 DVD. I'd take that over nothing any day. Hopefully Paramount at least does that when they give p7 the "deluxe" treatment.

5. Zombie Dude

Considering large amount of relevant footage was cut it surprises me to hear it's now lost or discarded.

6. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Part 7 uncut footage isn't lost, its just on a badly degraded VHS tape.

7. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

we rock! :glasses:

8. Zombie Dude

Exactly. Shouldn't there have been negatives kept?

9. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

No, Paramount threw all of it away and it's lost forever (just like the uncut footage for the rest which someone turned up), they looked for a year straight and nothing, I tells ya! :rolleyes:

I dunno if they are out there to be found, but no way they're looking too hard. Not with people buying every copy of the film that comes out.

10. Zombie Dude

So making a fuss about this again might not be so futile. I'd love to see Part VII released uncut, and if the missing footage is in good shape, well that'd be icing on the cake.

11. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Yes the original footage has been destroyed. It no longer exists. (Film elements, no negatives, no prints, no footage on celluloid. That's what it means.) This is according to the director himself.

And yeah, it's gone. A badly degraded VHS tape...you can't remaster that and put it back into a film. The footage is borderline unwatchable.

I'd rather them not put it in at all if it means splicing VHS footage. Fuck that.

~Matt

12. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

They don't have to splice in the vhs footage, just release the whole thing (vhs transfer) as an extra supplement. Other companies have done this, it's nothing new. As a bootleg collector for 15 years, I've seen some pretty piss poor tapes which look much worse than what was presented on the bonus disc of the last F13 box set. I'd rather see it this way rather than not at all, but that's just me....

13. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

But that's the thing...why would you ever settle for a piss-poor VHS transfer? For the gore footage right? It would be for that and only that, so them just releasing the gore footage by itself makes a lot of sense. The shitty transfer would not hold much replay value because of its quality. You'd be skipping through parts just to see the footage, so releasing all the gore footage in one segment seems to make sense.

~Matt

14. old-boo-radley

Eh, there's no reason they can't release an integral version with the shitty gore scenes put back in at the very least. If Severin can do it for Malabimba, Paramount should have no troubles. They don't need to label it SUPER UNCUT OMG BUY IT FOR THE 3RD TIME!!1! Edition, they can just list "Integral Version" as a supplement.

15. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Yeah I guess that's true. I can't see a major studio doing something like that, though. (Especially Paramount LOL) But we can hope, I guess.

Oh and btw, I fucking love your avatar.

"You got any weed?"
    "Not on me man, no."
    "...It'd be a lot cooler if you diiid."

~Matt

16. Zombie Dude

Isn't that like what was done with The Wicker Man?

17. old-boo-radley

I doubt they'd do it either, I'm just saying that primitive solutions aren't very hard (SNDN basically does this as well, but the quality isn't that poor as does the famous H6 P. Cut boot) and I don't necessarily believe anything they say regarding other info. I threw all my cards in the Shriek Show defense bucket with LIAWS and spent $40 CDN on the original release. We all know how that turned out. I shelled out $30-$40 per disc on the old F13 original releases because people said the footage was all lost, and lookie what turns up on a double dip. A lot of stuff could have been added had Paramount used an optional integrated cut even there.

I've had a Doom Asylum avatar on every forum I'm on for the last few years and no one said a damn thing about it. I change it to Wooderson and everyone loves it. :D

I reverted back to Doom Asylum on the other forums, haven't yet changed this one. I just don't feel right without The Coroner under my name, especially since I was sporting his visage well before the DVD release.

18. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

As far as footage being "lost forever," I have to (choose to?) doubt that. As far back as METROPOLIS (1927), films have been cut and re-cut countless times and the cut footage as always "lost forever," thrown away by the studio/distributor/whatever. But there always seems to be some wonderful, beautiful film geek somewhere who pockets the cut footage...knowing deep in his heart that such censorship is an abomination. Years (or decades, in some cases) later it re-surfaces and we get a less-cut (not always 100% uncut, as there may be missing elements) print and there is much rejoicing.

I will keep this fact close to my heart until all of the FRIDAY's receive better treatment. :D Keep the Faith, kids!!!

19. Zombie Dude

I hope you're right. Man, it'd make my day to see some more uncut Friday's.

20. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Well what happened with Metropolis was that it was considered "lost", misplaced. It EXISTED, just nobody knew where it was. They actually found what seems to be the full version of the film in Argentina back in July of this year. After 80 years, Metropolis is now hoped to be complete. (It's being re-released sometime in 2009 on DVD and blu-ray.)

With Friday the 13th, Part VII, the footage was cut and destroyed, not simply misplaced. It was cut out of the original print, it was never shown anywhere uncut. It had to be cut in order for the film to be released. The footage was destroyed. Metropolis was simply lost, just waiting for someone to discover it. (This happened a lot with silent films, and many of them have been lost ENTIRELY, since they weren't properly stored or preserved back then. F.W. Murnau's 4 Devils is considered lost, SEVERAL of D.W. Griffith's films are lost, as well as couple of Gloria Swanson's early silents.)

The main point is that there's a difference between "lost" and "destroyed". The full version of Metropolis was lost, 4 Devils is lost entirely, the original negatives for Sunset Boulevard and Singin' in the Rain were accidentally destroyed in a fire. They no longer exist. And according to the director himself, the footage for Part VII no longer exists, either. All we have is a shitty workprint VHS (some of these gore scenes weren't totally complete either, he says it on the commentary) so it's not even all the uncut footage. It's gone. I'd like to be optimistic about this, but I'm just being realistic.

*EDIT: The lost Gloria Swanson film is called Madame Sans-Gene (1924). Apparently, it was her favorite of all her films.

~Matt

Last edited: Nov 29, 2008