Mulberry Street (2006)

Discussion in 'General' started by Ash28M, Oct 20, 2007.

1. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

I just finished this and liked it alot. I would describe it as a cross between Cronenberg's Rabid and Street Trash. I liked the characters alot, and thought the movie made some pretty bold choices. The only thing I really did not care for was the damned hyper-shaking camera work that kept you from getting a good look at anything during the last half of the movie. This style has been done to death in movies over the last ten years. I really wanted a better look at the rat people, even if the make-up was not great. I miss just plain old fashioned great photography in movies. That being said, this style choice overall did not destroy the movie for me. Probably my second favorite from the after dark titles so far.

2. boycrieswolf

boycrieswolf Guest

I'll second that as far as the hyper quick shakey cam shit...that just takes me right out of the moment so fast, I thought this was okay at best. I got the impression that the filmmakers wanted to use all of 28 days later style but didn't want to make just another zombie movie, so change from zombies to rat-people and there ya go. In fairness, I've seen a lot worse, it definitelygets an a for effort, but overall it just didn't excite me too much.

3. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

Hey everyone, you gotta check this one out. As bladesew stated, it is played quite straight, but it's not so bad for that. It's similarity with the likes of 28 Days Later are obvious, and even the make-up reminded me of a previous film (Creep). But it's about people turned into rats, and then cannibalizing other people, so I can't muster any hate. It's pretty damn good actually. And no, the camera work didn't bother me (hell, I put up with Cloverfield).

This is the second time in 24 hours I've seen New York under siege from monsters, and of the two, this is the one I'd recommend. Decent.

4. dmeister

dmeister New Member

Of the four After Dark 2007 horror films that I've seen so far, this one actually impressed me the least. The zombie-ish-apocalypse plotline has been done to death already, and doing another installment using cheap video and mediocre production quality just isn't going to cut it for me (not even when Romero, himself, resorted to it in Diary of the Dead).

dmeister

5. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I saw this in the theater when it played After Dark Horrorfest 2, and even though I really enjoyed it and bought all the DVDs when they were released, I hadn't revisited it since.

Finally revisited Mulberry St the other day, and WOW! I thought it was terrific and held up incredibly well. It was generally more of a '70s / '80s thing, but I love movies where you have this assortment of characters living in a seedy apartment building doing the best they can who all look out for and take care of each other. It's only 84 minutes, but the movie really takes its time making you care about these people so much so that it really packs a bunch when they are killed off later in the movie. The bar outbreak scene at the midpoint of the movie is intense and extremely well-done, with an excellent use of music. I guess the rat thing is a little silly, but I like that they didn't just do a traditional zombie outbreak. It's not a major deviation from the formula, but it's just enough to be interesting.

For a first feature, this one is pretty incredible. If you haven't seen Mulberry St in a while, maybe it's due for a revisit?

x666x and Natas like this.
  6. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

^I have to agree. We saw this at Toronto After Dark 2007 as well and still love watching it every few years for all the same reasons. It just has a really great feel and exceeds the standard for a lower budget film. Solid movie.

CPT HOOK likes this.
  7. Zillamon51

Zillamon51 Member

The first of the awesome "Nick Damici fighting monsters" trilogy, followed by Stake Land (vampires) and Late Phases (werewolves). Love it.

CPT HOOK likes this.
  8. CPT HOOK

Natas, I saw this listed as a recent first-time watch in your "Track The Movies You Watch" post.

What'd you think? Good, bad, otherwise?

Natas likes this.
  9. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

I liked it. I thought it was a really cool little flick set in an extremely urban backdrop which I believe worked well with the style in which it was shot.

It would have been better to get some better shots with the "zombies" .... The quick cuts didn't do them justice in a few sequences. Did they use a fish eye lens a lot? Reminded me of old skateboard VHS tapes I used to watch when I was a kid.

I want to go back and revisit some of these After Dark releases. I own Dark Ride which was filled with potential but fell pretty short of anything memorable. Any suggestions?

CPT HOOK likes this.
  10. CPT HOOK

If there's anything bad about the movie, I'd say it's the CGI fire. Considering this was made on a $60,000 budget, I'll forgive it. It reminds me of Mike Flanagan's early film Absentia, which was also filmed in an apartment for about the same budget. They both attempt to make up for their budgetary shortcoming with strong writing and characters. I'm not sure about the fish-eye lens.

As for others from After Dark Horrorfest to recommend?

The first year was probably the strongest. I actually liked Dark Ride, but I'm pretty easy when it comes to slasher movies. From the first year, I might say my biggest recommendation would be The Hamiltons. Very quirky and weird little movie. The Gravedancers and Wicked Little Things are both decent, and there's actually a double-feature blu-ray you can probably pick up for fairly cheap.

As for year two, I would say Borderland is not to be missed. The first year, these played theatrical near me, but the second year they didn't, so I actually drove all the way to Detroit and caught six of these in a single day between two different theaters. Borderland was the last movie of the day, and boy did it go out on a high note. Very intense and edge-of-the-seat. Definitely buy this one.

Year three was the first year I wasn't able to catch any of them on the big screen, and to be honest, none of the movies left a huge impression. I'd be curious to see some of these again myself, because I remember next to nothing about them. I kind of remember Autopsy being gory and fun? It was the director of the Night Of The Demons remake, if you're a fan of that, and it's tonally similar.

Year four had two stand-outs, and those are the found-footage Lake Mungo (which is coming to blu-ray from Second Sight very soon, but I can't say it has a lot of replay value) and the fast-paced slasher Kill Theory.

After this, they did a string of "After Dark Originals", but most of these were pretty bad. I thought Prowl was decent, and Husk was watchable enough. But you can tell the quality was dropping here.

They came back in 2015 for one last run, but to be honest, the quality here was still pretty low. My favorite of the bunch was the slasher movie Bastard. To be honest though, I'd be careful venturing past year four.

If you're picking up DVDs, I'd say go for Borderland, The Hamiltons, and Kill Theory. I'd also say check out Lake Mungo, which is free on Amazon Prime, but maybe don't buy it because it's more of a one-and-done movie. If you can find the blu-ray double of The Gravedancers and Wicked Little Things, that's not a bad buy either (Gravedancers is also free on Prime). Borderland also got a double feature blu-ray paired with Crazy Eights, but Crazy Eights isn't especially good.

Natas likes this.
  11. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

CPT Hook, if I haven't said it before, you're fucking awesome. I appreciate you.

I caught Lake Mungo not too long ago and really enjoyed it. I forgot it was one of these After Dark flicks.

I remember enjoying Gravedancers when it came out but I'm failing to remember much of it. I'll have to revisit soon. I'm gonna pick up Borderland soon as well.

I plan on having a mini celebration of "half way to Halloween" this weekend....because fuck it, why not? Hopefully my local store has a copy of Borderland and maybe I'll give Dark Ride another spin. Outside on the projector with a few cold ones sounds like a plan!

CPT HOOK likes this.
  12. CPT HOOK

^ Let us know if you watch any and what you think!

Love the half-way to Halloween idea. Didn't even think of that, date-wise.

Natas likes this.
  13. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Really appreciate the recommendation for Borderland! It was pretty awesome. I watched on Prime streaming but I'll pick up the disc soon. It was certainly different and wasn't what I was expecting.

CPT HOOK likes this.
  14. CPT HOOK

Glad you enjoyed. I watched Perdita Durango a few weeks ago and it's based on the same true crime case as this. There are docs about the crime on both the Perdita and Borderland blu-rays. Now I want to watch this again!

Natas likes this.
  15. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Stopped by my local movie store and picked up DVDs of Borderland, The Gravedancers and Nightmare Man. Looking forward to diggin in soon