Mulberry Street (2006)

Discussion in 'General' started by Ash28M, Oct 20, 2007.

1. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

[​IMG]

Saw this little gem last night at the Toronto After Dark Film fest. It's a gritty low budget Rat-Zombie apocalyptic film that's part 28 days later part Night of the living dead. It had a really good early 80's vibe to it, from it's folkey score to it's reality urban feel. The character development was well done and good acting to match.

So if you get a chance to see it, I would definitely recommend anyone on here to check it out.

2. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

I'm getting the R2 next week, so I'm looking forward watching this :)

3. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

It'll screen next month as on of the After Dark Horrorfest titles.

4. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I didn't know you could get it yet. Is it a german release?

5. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

6. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

7. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Enjoyed this one as well. Loved the setting, score and Coco cracked me up :D
    It is kinda like 28 Days Later while still doing its 'own thing'. Worth checking out!

8. Mark Relford

Mark Relford Chairman of the Bored

Loved this movie! The 28 Days Later comparison is spot-on. The main characters are well developed and I wanted to see 'em make it. (An important element in "zombie" movies.) The only drawback was a few cheesy rat makeups. One in particular was featured in a peephole. That can be easily forgiven since it's such a damn good horror movie. How many 80's "classics" feature a few cheesy FX shots? :D The grungy locations hark back to Henenlotter's Basket Case. Finally, a good horror movie from the After Dark Horrorfest.

9. ReelFear

ReelFear New Member

This was the first film I watched from the new After Dark series. It's not really a "zombie" movie due to the fact that the people are infected and never actually die and come back to life. In addition to 28 days later, i felt a little Demons 2, and a touch of Dawn Of The Dead. I liked the movie and thankfully it ran only 84 minutes, so i didn't lose interest. After I've seen the other 7 movies, I'll be able to tell how good or bad this really is. For now I'm gonna rate it a 6.5 out of 10.

10. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

I absolutely hated this. HATED it. Nearly nothing happens, terrible camera work, horrible acting...I didn't even finish it, and I finish anything. I can't think of the last film before this that I couldn't finish. It's the first of the After Dark 2007 films I've watched, and I really hope this isn't a precursor of what I have to look forward to :nervous:

11. I LOVED it! Not one bad thing about it. There's one thing about a part at the end I didn't get, however. Since I don't know how to post a spoiler correctly, can someone who might be able to answer, PM me? Thanx!!! :)

12. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

I thought overall it was pretty good---the best part is that the characters seemed more realistic than in a lot of other horror films. They all had personality and you wanted to see them make it. I liked the two old guys most of all. That was another cool thing about it, the characters were from all kinds of ages and backgrounds, which is something you almost never see.

I'd say the worst part about it was probably the whole thing about "rat people." I understand they probably did it to differentiate from 28 DAYS LATER and similar movies, but the makeup wasn't great, and it would have been scarier to just have crazy infected people.

It also moved a little slow and I think tried to be a little too arty at times when the story didn't really warrant it. But I'd say it was above average, and miles beyond what we usually see from After Dark films.

13. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I find I tend to like films that get allot of different reactions from people and looking at the last three posts

KamuiX - Hated It
    VideoViolence - Loved it
    allmessedup - Pretty good

I'm not suprised I liked it as much as I did.

14. 17thJuggalo

17thJuggalo Active Member

15. zompirejoe

zompirejoe Active Member

I was pleasantly surprised as I have not heard many good things about this from everyone I know that saw it.It was low budget, but very entertaining and suspenseful.I really liked the female leads in this as well.

16. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

I got around to watching this and really enjoyed it. Didn't care for the ending though, but rest of it was good.

While not having to do with the story, the stock footage of the NY skyline they used, they probably should have gotten something a bit newer as the WTC is no longer there. D'oh!

17. boycrieswolf

boycrieswolf Guest

Looking forward to seeing this...should be in my mailbox today...Can't wait!

18. shift

shift Hot as shit!

I didn't care for it. Out of this years 8-horror movies to die for, my favorite was Unearthed and coming in second was Borderland and Nightmare Man.

19. boycrieswolf

boycrieswolf Guest

I heard Nightmare Man sucked nine kinds of nutsack but I'll wait to form my own opinion until I've seen it.

20. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

I liked the characters (I got pretty attached to them), loved the pacing and the fact that you weren't sure who would die, and thought the use of rats and rat people was actually scarier than yet another zombie film. I'm not sure if I liked the ending but overall I thought it was a great, low-budget flick that I'll definitely watch again.