Mr. Slaussen or Farmer Vincent?

Discussion in 'General' started by booper71, Jan 26, 2014.

1. booper71

booper71 B-Zone on Roku

Tourist Trap and Motel Hell were a year apart, in both films the antogonists were codgers. Chuck Connors and Rory Calhoun did great jobs and both film had similar theme in that they ran a family business.

Both actors were very close in age as well, both also died while in their 70's.

So, amongst these two only, who is your favorite?

Mr. Slaussen (Tourist Trap)
    or
    Farmer Vincent (Motel Hell)

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  2. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Farmer Vincent. Even named my son after him!

(no, sorry, it was Vincent Price.)

I've only seen Tourist Trap once but I practically grew up with Motel Hell, so honestly I just can't vote any other way.

3. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Fuck Chuck Connors- he had Larry Cohen fired from Branded because he discovered it was an allegory for blacklisting.

I go with Vincent as well. The trip machine scene just leaves so many fascinating questions about his character.

4. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Rory Calhoun (who,like Conners,was best known as a star of westerns) gives a great,blackly comedic performance.Conners (who DOES score some laughs) is much more macabre however.The film is a fave of Stephen King's.I can't choose,apples to oranges.

5. scott71670

scott71670 Well-Known Member

Gotta love Rory Calhoun. He was sort of the Snoop Dogg of the fifties. Also, loved him as Angel's father figure in Angel.

6. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I haven't seen either of these films....

7. booper71

booper71 B-Zone on Roku

Farmer Vincent for me as we'll but I admire the creepy role Chuck Connors played in Tourist Trap.

8. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I have to say Farmer Vincent because Motel Hell is one of my all time favorites (I even have some French lobby cards currently en route, already have the American set). But still, this is a really difficult choice because Tourist Trap isn't far behind. Actually, Tourist Trap was one of the first DVDs I ever bought.

:eek:

I'm a little jealous, because that means you get to see them both for the first time.

9. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I was just reading the Tourist Trap blu ray thread, and it reminded me of this. Are these films honestly that good? Wasn't the Tourist Trap dvd released by Full Moon? That's not exactly an indicator of quality...

I guess I should make some effort to see them, but I never realized they were supposed to be anything special. I didn't even include them in my post in the "famous films you haven't seen" thread.

10. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Yes, absolutely!

Tourist Trap isn't really like the Full Moon films you're probably thinking of. It's more like a cross between Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Mother's Day. I can't recommend it enough.

I'd also highly recommend Motel Hell, however I think my affection for it is probably more nostalgia. I imagine someone seeing both films for the first time now would probably prefer Tourist Trap. I think it has this fun bizarre atmosphere that reminds me of movies like Spider Baby and Crawlspace. It's one of my all time favorites. I've now got 16 different lobby cards for it hanging above my DVD collection.

11. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

wow, ok. i'll make them both a priority then. thanks.

12. booper71

booper71 B-Zone on Roku

This was around the Empire pictures era from Charles Band and company and it had some play in theaters - much bigger budgets than the later DTV fare Full Moon would specialize in.

Did you know the guy who directed Puppet Master lensed Tourist Trap.

As for Motel Hell, it still is fun but dated, has a Wolfman Jack cameo, and Beulah Balbricker (?) from Porkys in it.

13. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I've got no problem with films being "dated" (and I've never seen Porky's either :eek:)

14. The Tall Man

The Tall Man Member

Just watched Motel Hell again for about the 10th time. Still love it, and I disagree with the comment about it being dated. It's a far better paced film than Tourist Trap, with some really good humour in it. Rory Calhoun and Nancy Parsons are great in it, and Wolfman Jack's cameo is classic. I still like Tourist Trap, and am a Chuck Connors fan also, but it is not in the same league in my opinion.

Dave13, yes you have to see both. And sit down and watch Porkys 1 and 2 back to back also, they are awesome. Porkys 3 isn't so great but still has a few laughs.

15. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    Mr. Slaussen is telekenetic. There's no escaping him.