Movies that warped you as a child.

Discussion in 'General' started by Spit, Dec 7, 2007.

1. Spit

Spit Active Member

I was talking to a guy at work today, and he told me the story of how is older brother forced him to watch Hellraiser as a kid, and it totally flipped him out. It got me thinking about movies that really scared me when I was a kid, and the circumstances under which I watched them.

One night when I was in grade school my mother asking me to pick out a video to watch. So i dug though the old betas and came up with Pet Sematary. An she of course countered with that old 'Thats too scary for you pumpkin' mom line. So I put it back and we watched something else that night, but my curiosity had been sparked and the first moment I was alone I plugged it in.

I sat through the whole thing, and was never really the same again. It wasn't the dead coming back that scared me, or the guy with his head all mashed in. It was the idea that a semi could run over my kitty. I spent many sleepless night worrying about my Mr. Kitty do to that film. Fortunately my kitty never did get hit by a semi and lived a long happy life.

Anyway I suppose I'm not alone, what movies freaked you guys out as kids and why?

2. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

The main thing I remember scaring the shit out of me that shouldn't have as a kid (since I always snuck horror flicks, even though I knew I'd be enduring sleepless nights) was watching the original Terminator on cable in the late 80's. I was probably 8 or so, and while I watched the entire thing completely entertained, I was scared for weeks that someone might decide to go on a killing spree and kill everyone that had my name :lol:

3. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

My mom told me I used to have some good nightmares about the pencil scene in Evil Dead.

4. Peoples Icon

Peoples Icon Guest

The exorcist was the movie that scared me the most as a kid. I still have trouble watching it.

5. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

6. walkingdude

walkingdude Megatron

When I was like 5 the Exorcist and Carrie both filled me full of nightmares.I wish they still had the same effect on me.
    I remember when I was about 12 I brought Evil dead over to a friends house and by the end of the movie he was in the bathroom getting sick.lol!
    This stuff is all pretty much easy viewing for people like us but I have seen people truely terrified by watching Friday the 13th and other such movies.

7. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Believe it or not, Young Frankenstein. I was such a young kid that the comedy didn't really register and instead I was just fearful of Peter Boyle as the Monster. Besides the fact that he's perhaps the bulkiest Monster, the bald head combined with longer hair really spooked me to. My mom says I hide our VHS tape of it because I never wanted it shown in our house again. We never did find that VHS tape.

Then since I was a kid and to this day James Whale's Frankenstein and just the Universal Horrors in general are my favorite horror films and I give full credit to Mel Brooks for that. He drew the first spark of my interest.

8. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I have no idea what the title is but when I was like 6 I woke up one time late at night and my mom was asleep on the couch and on tv was some movie about a devil doll or something and it scared the crap out of me- then when I was 9 I was at a friends house and they had HBO way back in the day and friday the 13th part III was on and I had never been allowed to see anything like that- and it scared the crap out of me too- then the last I remember is like 2 years later so I was about 11 and I watched a nightmare on elm street at a friends house with his older sister- and that gave me nightmares for a while too- 3 times in my childhood I distinctly remember seeing something I wasnt allowed to see (with good reason) and having nightmares afterwards- the reason I still love those movies today<:

9. booper71

booper71 B-Zone on Roku

when i went and seen the original Nosferatu, I was never the same!

10. adric

adric New Member

the rugrats episode where one of the kids was afraid of the monster under his bed that turned out to be a shirt.

one time there was a tornado and we were all in the basement, i had to be about 6. i ran upstairs to get something and someone had left the tv on, and it was The THing, right as the guys head burst apart and he started killing people....and then the power cut out. i was freaked the fuck out. Pet Semetary scared the shit out of me with the part about the sister as well.

11. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

Texas Chainsaw Massacre, I was WAAAAAAAAAAAAyyyyyy too young when I 1st saw it, fucked me all up, LOL!

12. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

Rosemary's Baby.
    I was 6 or 7 I think. I was hiding behind a door and whenever the movie turned "creepy" I kept my face behind. And then, slowly, I looked at the film again, with one eye.

Also, at the same age, I saw James Whale's The Invisible Man - with both eyes that time. Totally freaked me out. I am glad that these were my first horror movies....

13. bwana the clown

bwana the clown Supreme Ruler Of Sados

My earliest memory of film related trauma was Bad Ronald. I remember after watching it I was convinced someone was spying on me through peepholes in the wall.

14. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

I saw Beyond the Door in the theater at age 5 and that pretty much rocked my world...also Halloween did alot of damage 3 years later.

15. Noto

Noto Guest

Not too many movies ever freaked me out. The original Halloween did though when I first saw it at about 8-9. There are definitely movies that I've seen now though that I know would have scarred me as a child.

The old woman in The Goonies and Throw Mama from the Train though, scared the living shit out of me for years.

16. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

The Shining. The ONLY movie to have ever scared the living crap out of me as a child. Seriously...I couldn't sleep for days. And to this very day that scene with the guy in the pig mask still sends chills down my spine....

~Matt

17. adric

adric New Member

that same scene freaked the fuck out of my little brother when we watched it for the first time, and i laughed my ass off at him for weeks. i even found a mask like it at a store shortly after and scared him even more.

18. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

When I was 5 I saw a TV spot for Child's Play 2 that freaked me out for around 5 years. When I finally saw a Chucky movie and he sounded like Jack Nicholson I wasn't afraid of him anymore.

19. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

These are the scenes that disturbed me the most as a child. Not all are from great classic movies, but they gave me nightmares nonetheless:

- Michael Myers busting down the bedroom closet in HALLOWEEN.
    - The dream sequence in PHANTASM when The Tall Man is standing behind Jody as he lies on his bed and zombies come out of the ground to grab him.
    - Peter Proud lying dead at the bottom of the lake in THE REINCARNATION OF PETER PROUD.
    - The woman trapped under an invisible barrier while she's swimming in a pool in THE LEGACY.
    - The bodies wrapped in plastic in THE CLONUS HORROR.
    - The bodies hanging from the ceiling in COMA.
    - Ralphie Glick hovering outside the window in SALEM'S LOT.
    - Some unknown movie where a woman gets burned by blood while taking a shower.

20. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

Prophecy
    I was 5 or 6 years old...
    Awesome parents I know!
    After the attack on the village, they go in that tunnel... then the cop guy goes up to check if the coast is clear and the bear fucking mangles his head and he falls back down... fuckin' hell!