Mother's Day (2011) - remake

Discussion in 'General' started by baggio, Jan 21, 2011.

1. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

took long enough to get this out maybe troma will release the original in may also on blu-ray?

2. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

I rememeber always seeing the video box for the original over the years in the 80's, so fianlly in summer of 91 i rented it , and wasn't right for like 3 day's. I found really disturbing. I really didnt even like it as a horror movie. but it was pretty shocking and really violent. Special effects were mixed. some looked really REAL, others looked really fake. Hadn't they had a bigger budget. it could have really worked. If i thought it looked shocking in 91. imagine seeing it in theaters in 1980... I really would have been blown away..

3. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

That would be cool!!!!

4. Mazurka Macabre

Mazurka Macabre Member

I haven't seen this, but I have to admit the inspired bit of casting has piqued my interest.

5. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Well, what did we all think?

Just watched it and it wasn't too bad. While not identical to the original, it still seemed to follow it's basic formula. Mom's a whack job and has raised her kids in the same fashion. The kids are slightly hickish and mom's not afraid to try and set them up with a good sexy time. Better than the original? Let's not get carried away folks, but this is the type of remake I like for the most part - almost like a sequel/prequel of sorts. Not a copycat with some familiarity that has more than enough originality to carry it's own. The ending was a bit of a let down though in my opinion.

And I was disappointed our friend Queenie didn't make an appearance even after being referenced a few times. I was rootin' for it.

6. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

It didn't really have much in common with the original film. I loved it though, I thought it was one of the better "remakes" (probably because it wasn't much of a remake).

Very suspenseful and entertaining. Even though it is nearly 2 hours long, it flew by.

The original is a personal favorite of mine, so I wouldn't say that it is better. But it was a surprisingly good little film.

Shame it didn't get a better release. It seemed to sneak onto disc with little to no fan-fare.

7. Copyboy

Copyboy Well-Known Member

Just saw this a few weeks ago and totally agree!

Also,
    I couldn't understand why they kept mentioning Queenie and then never utilized her! I wonder if they originally did but she somehow ended up on the cutting room floor.

Really enjoyed it for the most part though and it kept me on the edge of my seat. I don't know if it was the hair or the suit but for some reason Rebecca DeMornay totally reminded me of Hillary Clinton.

8. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

YES! That's it! I couldn't place her. :lol:

9. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Yeah, they way they were setting it up it seemed like there was definitely going to be something in the end about it. I kept waiting for it and was like wtf!

:lol: yup.

10. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Just wanted to remind everyone this movie exists and it's still pretty damn good. Definitely one of the better remakes of this wave.

Myron Breck, Steel76 and chancetx like this.
  11. chancetx

chancetx Well-Known Member

Happy Mother's Day!

12. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

A prime example of a movie that is MUCH better than the trailer.
    I hope the one who cut together the shitty trailer, never got another job after this.

13. Darga

Darga Narcissistic Personality

I must have missed this thread back in the olden days, because I was completely unaware of this remake. Well, either that or I had forgotten about it, which is quite possible as well. Anyways, it sounds like you guys liked it, so maybe it's time for me to finally check it out.

14. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I remember hearing people saying this was good. When I did finally check it out I can't say I cared for it. That being said, I'm not really into torture/hostage movies. They tend to drain my energy.