Mortal Kombat (2021) Produced by James Wan

Discussion in 'General' started by Steel76, Apr 21, 2021.

1. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

I didn't find a thread for this.
    If one already exists, then please move this to the existing one.

The James Wan produced Mortal Kombat movie, is released on HBO Max, this friday (April 23:rd).

I just watched the opening scene, and it looks promising.
    Kinda reminds me of the opening of Revenge of the Ninja :D

opening scene:

Glad it's R-rated, delivering the gory goods, of the games.

Red band trailer:

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
  2. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I watched the 90s movies earlier this month in anticipation.

The first one is fun. I don't think I had ever seen Annihilation before, and boy was it ever shit. I was struggling to make it to the end.

Steel76 likes this.
  3. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I blind bought the DVD back in the late 90:s, and holy fuck was it terrible.
    The new actors sucked, and the blue-screens/CGI was horribly bad, even back then.
    That Kaiju styled battle at the end, is probably the worst thing I have seen in my entire life.
    So when people complain about CGI today, they really should take a look at Annihilation :D

4. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

I'm looking forward to this.....gonna try and catch in Imax

Steel76 likes this.
  5. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I'm very curious to check out this new film and really hope it's good, gory fun.
    I tried watching the original movie early last year and couldn't even finish it. I thought it was trash. The animated movie Scopion's Revenge was really good though. Hopefully this new film taps more into that kind of thing.

6. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

You know I think I saw parts of Annihilation and just can't remember it. I only remember seeing the first movie back then in theaters. I just responded to a post about the new movie on the Horror.com forum. I think I liked the first movie enough to get the soundtrack. But it was 90s nonsense. Techno dance type music to fight scenes. Stuff like that almost immediately dates a movie to the 90s or early 2000s. The trailer to the new movie looks good though. But someone watched the full movie on the other forum and said it wasn't that good.

Honestly, the games were never the best. Street Fighter was always better. The series seems to continue just based on people wanting to see the new fatalities. And also the cameo characters these days. I think Rambo was the latest to get in a game.

7. Zillamon51

Zillamon51 Member

I loved the first few games, up through Ultimate MK3. I played the hell out of those, both arcade and home versions. The modern games are too complex for an old timer like me, who hasn't played games regularly in years, to get into.

I've always enjoyed the original movie. But even when it was new, I knew it was just cheesy fun. Annihilation has always been shite. We'll see how they hold up, as I have BDs on the way. :D

8. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

I thought this was pretty fucking awesome.

Very entertaining. Lot of blood. I'll be surprised if this disappoints any of you guys.

9. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I thought it was pretty damn average and a letdown. For one, this film doesn't even get to the tournament which I feel was a dumb move as it's what Mortal Kombat is.
    Cole Young was a waste of time as a new character and felt very Hollywood with his boring family stuff. This series is full of characters with rich history that they could have used.
    The characters themselves were also a bit whatever. Kano was hands down the best thing about this whole film and the main reason I was entertained. Outside of him the others just lack any real charisma or interest. Don't count on seeing Scorpion much at all. He's basically not in the film and then needs a team-up to defeat his opponent when he does show up.
    The fighting isn't very good. The film suffers from lots of cutting, rather than good choreographed scenes that let you take it all in. The main fights at the end of the film are basically given to us in a montage fashion and it's jarring and unrewarding.
    There's also not as much blood and guts as you might expect. Only one scene with someone getting sawed in half felt like a real Kombat fatality. Two others were gory but it definitely didn't feel like what they were hyping.

I'm not sure why they went with what is basically a prequel for this film. They needed to get right into it in my opinion as this just ends feeling lackluster. If you haven't seen the animated movie Scorpion's Revenge then do yourself a favor and check it out. It's so much better than this and basically what this film should have been. It's more violent, interesting and covers the tournament. That film I had a blast with, and that's from someone who's never played the games.

10. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I thought it was fine. I didn't love it.

I enjoyed the gore and thought it was fairly strong. Kano was brill and the best character hands down, the main character (don't remember his now LOL!) felt fairly 1 dimensional and boring. Also some of the editing was suspect like they missed a few frames here and there.

I didn't mind that it wasn't at the tournament, and that it was a build up movie" There was enough in it to keep me entertainment and I never felt cheated.

However it's a one viewing for me, this is not something I feel I will be returning to any time soon.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
  11. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I dug it. Good gore, good action, fun characters. I liked that half of the movie was set in the mid-west, because I tend to check out when movies go all magical fantasy land. And while yes, the movie gambles on there being a sequel and is essentially just the set-up for a bigger movie on the way, I felt the finale went big enough to where I left satisfied. Generally speaking, I would say this type of movie just isn't my thing, but consider me a fan of this one. I had fun.

Love it or hate it, it would be impossible to deny that it is vastly superior to the '90s movies in every way. Well, except for the theme song, which was noticeably absent here.

buck135 likes this.
  12. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

I kind of liked the fact there was no organized "tournament" .....I didn't need Bloodsport with MK characters.

It was easy to follow, some cool fatalities, I thought the beginning sequence with Sub Zero and Scorpion was awesome......Kano was a lot of fun "I got laser beams! A lot better than fireballs, you fucking pussy!" And I loved Kabal as well.

13. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

OK, I have nothing to add about the film. But, I don't get to bring this boast up in many circles who would get it. But, I've been taking Wu Shu for the past handful of years. And the instructors did (and still do) motion capture for most of the Mortal Kombat games. So, I've basically been taught Kung Fu by over half of the characters in Mortal Kombat. My main instructor was Kun Lao. But for a while, I had the guy that did mocap for Scorpion. I jumped out of my skin when he casually said "get over here" to one of the students. I am a f***ing nerd.

hots4 and Steel76 like this.
  14. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I think I stopped at Mortal Kombat 3 as well. Barely played it. Funny both Street Fighter 3 and Mortal Kombat 3 were odd games to me.

I believe I posted a few of these in the collections topic. But Iron Studios just showed Scorpion and Sub-Zero in their Klassic line of statues. These are small scale so they aren't that expensive compared to the quarter scale statues. Here are all of them so far.

Iron-Studios-Scorpion-Statue-001.jpg
    Iron-Studios-Sub-Zero-Statue-001.jpg
    raiden_mortal-kombat_gallery_600a1e3237ffc.jpg
    goro_mortal-kombat_gallery_5f2dbaf4a7077.jpg
    shao-kahn-110-scale-statue_mortal-kombat_gallery_5f7e1a40ae36a.jpg

We'll see how far they go. I'll probably get the few characters I enjoyed playing from Mortal Kombat 2.