Mondo Macabro goes Blu

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by zbinks, Apr 11, 2014.

1. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Nothing for me this time. I wouldn’t be opposed to watching them, but they all sound a bit too misogynistic and rapey for blind buys or to have as part of my collection.

2. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

**PRE-ORDER ON AUGUST 12th at 9 AM Pacific/12 noon Eastern. Shipping is tentatively scheduled to begin in late August or early September. Limit one copy per customer**

***PLEASE NOTE that any item purchased along with this pre-order will not ship until all items are available. SORRY WE CANNOT COMBINE ORDERS WITH PRE-SALE ITEMS WITH ANOTHER SEPARATE ORDER.***

****NEW POLICY ALERT! DUE TO PAYPAL'S NEW FEE POLICIES WE CAN LONGER ACCEPT CANCELLATIONS OF PRE-ORDERS! MAKE SURE YOU ARE READY AND ABLE TO MAKE THE PURCHASE BEFORE CHECKING OUT!****

THE DESIGNATED VICTIM - Limited Red Case Edition $28.00 Numbered edition of 1500 in the usual red case. Promo trailer

HUMAN ANIMALS - Limited Red Case Edition $27.00 Numbered edition of 1200 in the usual red case. Promo trailer

IT'S NOTHING MAMA, JUST A GAME - Limited Red Case Edition $28.00 Numbered edition of 1200 in the usual red case. Promo trailer

**Please note these are leftover un-numbered copies of the limited edition. Same as the numbered in every way, except for the number**
    SILIP: DAUGHTERS OF EVE - Limited Red Case Edition $25.00 "70 or so extra copies"

THE FRENCHMAN'S GARDEN - Limited Red Case Edition $25.00 "70 or so extra copies"

From our friends at Le Chat Qui Fume in France comes the Ultra Hi-Def debut of Jean Rollin, in one of his most fun and bizarre films!
    * This will ship out at the same time as our three new LEs*
    BACCHANALES SEXUELLES - UHD/Blu-ray $33.00 300 copies

russweiss likes this.
  3. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

The limited titles are now available.

4. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I'm surprised to see the August LE's have not yet sold out. Some people are so uncouth. ;)

5. russweiss

August's limited editions are now shipping.

6. maybrick

None of them look up my alley to me. But I did just receive a used copy of The Devil's Nightmare in the mail today.

7. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Arrived today:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

russweiss likes this.
  8. russweiss

Not sure how you get the top numbers. I placed my order within the first minute and ended up with 61 and 62 on all titles.

Katatonia likes this.
  9. Katatonia

You just have to be fast getting the order in. I do it more so they'll ship out faster than receiving any super low numbers.

10. maybrick

And apparently buy all three of their new releases like a suck-up. Only want one? You get #117! Lol!

11. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Katatonia and russweiss like this.
  12. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

3rd of 4 announcements? I missed the first two - what were they?

I'm a collector so I understand why people go nuts over things like slipcovers, booklets and such but I'll never understand the obsession with low print numbers. Discs and BD sleeves are replicated en masse - what difference does it make if you get #1 or #1001? Not trying to be a jerk but I seriously would like to know.

13. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

Femina Ridens
    [​IMG]

and

Hiruko the Goblin
    [​IMG]

elDomenechHDG likes this.
  14. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

It's got to be a psychological thing, as for those who think having a low number is better on an LE probably feel like they are "at the front of the line." It makes them feel they are ahead of others somehow, even though it's got no monetary value but offers them a psychological reward in a way. It's a trait of OCD, specifically the "symmetry" type of OCD (so double that up with the "hoarder" type of OCD, which most of us who collect niche things actually have, and it presents them with more of a reward when they obtain a low number).

15. Katatonia

Like I've said before numerous times here, I honestly don't really give a flying shit if I get # 0002 or 2000. I order as fast as I can so it will ship out faster. Since MM ships out in sequence, the longer you wait around, the longer it's going to take to ship. It doesn't cost a cent more to simply get your order in and submitted quickly. Any low numbers received is just icing on the cake. Jared hasn't even packed all of the pre-orders yet, and all you hear is the like of "Has my order shipped yet?!?"

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
    russweiss likes this.
  16. maybrick

I’ll probably pick up Femina Ridens and some of the back catalog during the sale (Satantico Pandemonium and The Devil Incarnate, maybe Inquisition.

17. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

There was a weird glitch when I placed my last order at Mondo so wasn't able to check out quickly. As a result, my order took a while to ship but it finally did. It arrived super fast, though, so the bit of waiting time for it to ship was sort of negated. Still, none of this matters because I have everything shipped to my job and I'm on vacation lol.

I own about 30 Mondo Macabro titles. If I've looked at the spine numbers once that was a lot. It's just a silly number.

18. Katatonia

[​IMG] [​IMG]

https://www.facebook.com/mondomacabrodvd/posts/5636273123132362

19. Franco

Franco Weekender

Been buying some of their LEs like never before!

Katatonia likes this.
  20. russweiss

MM sent this email out this morning.

Better late than never! We had hoped to get this newsletter out much earlier than this, but the most recent mailout took a bit longer than we anticipated!

But here it is now! And below you will find everything you need to know about our soon-to-be-upon-us BIG HALLOWEEN SALE!

So let's get right to it …
    [​IMG]
    THE BIG ANNUAL HALLOWEEN SALE and PRE-ORDER EVENT!!

First things first. The sale/pre-orders (more on those just below) will begin on Thursday, October 21st at 9 AM Pacific/12 noon Eastern, only at mondomacabro.bigcartel.com.

The sale will include all of our back catalog titles except the three most recent ones, DESIGNATED VICTIM, HUMAN ANIMALS, and IT'S NOTHING MAMA JUST A GAME. But everything else will be cheaper than we usually have it, the pricing dependent upon how recent a title is, or how well it sells.

In addition to a sale on the items themselves, our shipping will also be discounted! We'll be marking down those fees across the board (with the exception of individual pre-orders for the new releases)!

But what about those new pre-orders, you ask? Well, let's get to that right now!
    THE NEXT BIG PRE-ORDER(s)!

For the first time in MM history, we are doing FOUR titles at once! Yeah, we can't believe it either. And it nearly killed us. But we are super proud of this crazy line up and we think you will be psyched to get them.

Before we get to the releases themselves, let's talk about something else that's a first for us, but has been requested for a long time - THE BUNDLE!

Yes, for the first time ever, we'll be offering a pre-order bundle of all four titles! The main purpose of this is essentially one-click shopping. We know it can be a pain to add each item to your cart and then checkout. It can cost you several precious minutes! The purpose of this bundle will be to reduce that "shopping time" from a few minutes to like, one minute. Or so. However long it takes for you to check out with "one" item.

There will be a slight discount too, and a reduced shipping fee. No extra swag or anything like that. No alternate bundles, you can't pick and choose. Only all four. Of course each title will also be up for pre-order individually, but at full price and with the usual shipping fee.

The bundle option will be limited though, to 800. But that should be enough to cover everyone who wants to go that route.

Also something else new regarding numbers. Starting with this sale, we will only be putting 001 - 1000 in numerical order. So any orders for a title that come in after it hits 1000 will be doled out randomly.

As for the releases themselves, here they are!

First up, Shinya Tsukamoto's HIRUKO THE GOBLIN!
    [​IMG]
    One of our most requested titles in recent years, this early pop-fantasy-horror film from the iconic Tsukamoto has been restored in 2K and is getting its first ever HD release! Here are the full details:

Hieda (played by Kenji Sawada) is an eccentric archaeologist, disgraced among his peers for his theories on the supernatural. One day he receives a letter from his brother-in-law, Yabe, telling him of an ancient burial mound he has discovered in the grounds of the local high school, a discovery that might help prove Hieda’s theories to be true. When Hieda arrives at the school, which is now closed for summer vacation, he discovers that Yabe has gone missing, along with one of the school’s female pupils. Teaming up with Yabe’s son, Masao, Hieda searches for the ancient tomb, convinced that it might be the burial place of Hiruko – a fearsome demon from ancient legends.

This was director Tsukamoto’s second feature film, after the surprise success of TETSUO: THE IRON MAN. Based on a Japanese manga series, HIRUKO is an astonishing melding of Lovecraftian cosmic terror, cyberpunk splatter and Spielberg-style adventure. With brain busting special effects and an amazing array of hideous demon creatures, the film is a roller coaster ride into a unique world of terror and beauty from one of the world’s greatest filmmakers.

DISC FEATURES
    Region A locked North American Blu-ray premiere
    1080p presentation of 2K restoration from the OCN
    Japanese audio with optional English subtitles
    Brand new interview with director Shinya Tsukamoto
    Archival interview with Shinya Tsukamoto
    Archival intro to the film by Tsukamoto
    Archival interview with SFX director
    Archival SFX featurette
    Brand new audio commentary by Tsukamoto expert Tom Mes
    Trailer

LIMITED EDITION FEATURES
    Brand new cover art by Gilles Vranckx, 20 page booklet with brand new writing on the film by Asian fantasy film expert Jonathan Clements, 1500 numbered copies in the usual red case

Next up, another long requested film, THE LAUGHING WOMAN!

[​IMG]
    In this deliciously twisted pop art extravaganza, Dagmar Lassander plays Maria, a woman employed in the press office of a large philanthropic organization run by the stern Dr Sayer. One Friday she visits his house to collect some journals. She accepts a drink from him and the next thing she knows she is chained to a metal frame in a room bathed in a sickly red light. Sayer tells her she is now his prisoner and he can do anything he likes with her – even kill her.

What follows is an astonishing game of cat and mouse, as Maria uses all her skills to stay alive, while secretly exploring Sayer’s weaknesses. As the story progresses we start to see the characters in a very different light. Is Sayer the demonic psychopath he claims to be? And is Maria really the innocent victim?

With its iconic, late 60’s production design and a brilliant music score by renowned composer Stelvio Cipriani, THE LAUGHING WOMAN is a stylish and sophisticated entertainment that questions all our prejudices and preconceptions about the relationship between men and women.

DISC FEATURES
    Region free world Blu-ray premiere
    1080p presentation from a 4k restoration of the OCN
    Choice of English or Italian audio, with optional English subtitles
    Interview with writer/director Piero Schivazappa
    Audio commentary by film scholar Kat Ellinger
    Video essay on the film’s production design from Rachael Nisbet
    Animated foto-novel by Jacques Spohr
    Trailers

LIMITED EDITION FEATURES
    Brand new cover art by Justin Coffee, 20 page booklet featuring brand new writing on the film by Italian film expert Roberto Curti, 1500 numbered copies in the usual red case

Next on the list, we dig a little deeper into Euro-horror catacombs and uncover the late 80s German 'folk-horror' film SUKKUBUS!
    [​IMG]
    “A Swiss legend tells of 3 herdsmen who invoked the forces of evil and were punished terribly for their sacrilege.”

This film is the story of that sacrilege and its punishment.

There’s much talk these days of “folk horror”. This film is the real deal, based on a gruesome and ancient story, much retold by people who live in the Alps – the huge mountain range that spans six European countries. In the summer the three herdsmen, two adults and a young apprentice took their cattle high up on the mountains where the pastures are richer. At night, holed up in their cabin there was little for them to do. Inevitably, their thoughts turned to sex. But as they were three men… what could they do? The more reckless of the men tried it on with the young boy but was soon put in his place by the group’s leader, who was himself combating lustful thoughts through prayer.

One day the boy finds a peculiar tree root shaped like a face. He brings it back to the hut and makes a kind of wig for it out of old straw. That night the two older men get drunk and, seeing the strange root, they decide to use it to make a life-sized female doll, using bits of old clothing, straw and wood. They baptize their creation with strong liquor and even offer it food. And then, to their shock, the doll comes to life in the form of a beautiful woman. And that’s where their nightmare really starts. Resisting their abuse of her body, the demonic doll hunts them down one by one and takes a terrible revenge.

DISC FEATURES
    Region A locked US home video premiere
    1080p presentation from a 4K restoration of the OCN
    German audio track with optional English subtitles
    Exclusive interview with actor Peter Simonischek
    Original trailer

LIMITED EDITION FEATURES
    Brand new (and, exclusive to the LE, uncensored) art by Justin Coffee, 20 page booklet with brand new writing on the film by Pete Tombs, 4 double sided art cards reproducing original lobby card art, 1200 numbered copies in the usual red case

And lastly but definitely not leastly, the underseen 70s Spanish gothic horror film SCHOOL OF DEATH!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The outwardly respectable St. Elizabeth’s Refuge in Victorian London is a place where young orphans and other female waifs and strays are trained to be good servants, destined for employment in the houses of upstanding citizens. One by one the girls are sent out into the world, never to be seen again.

The headmistress, Miss Wilkins, is a firm disciplinarian. Any of her girls who seem rebellious or wanton will be taken to the punishment room and given a good whipping by her willing assistant, Miss Colton. But should the girls fall into the hands of the sinister Dr. Krueger, their fate will be even worse.

One of the most rebellious students, Leonore - played by Spanish actress Sandra Mozarowsky - is determined to find out what happened to her friend Sylvia, who died after being sent to a rich man’s house one night. What she discovers is more horrifying and twisted than she could ever have imagined. But will she live to tell the tale?

This dark tale of Gothic horror appears on disc for the first time ever and in a new digital restoration from the original negative.

DISC FEATURES
    Region Free World Blu-ray Premiere
    1080p presentation from a new 4K restoration of the OCN
    Choice of English or Spanish audio tracks with optional English subs
    Audio Commentary by film scholar Kat Ellinger

LIMITED EDITION FEATURES
    20 page booklet featuring brand new writing on the film by Spanish film expert Ismael Fernandez, reversible cover sleeve with original ad art on each side, 1200 numbered copies in the usual red case

WRAP IT UP!

OK, OK! We've taken a lot of your time here but I hope this is all super exciting for you. It is for us! DON'T FORGET - the sale/pre-orders go live at 9 AM PST (google what time that is where you live) on Thursday, October 21, ONLY at mondomacabro.bigcartel.com. The back catalog sale will run until November 1st. The pre-orders of course will be available until they sell out.

We'll be back with one more newsletter this year, probably in December, at which time we'll unveil some projects we're working on for 2022! See you then!

Stay safe!

Stay SANE! (saner than us anyway!)

AND WATCH WEIRD MOVIES!

Katatonia and f.ramses like this.