Miramax Serves kungfucinema Notice!

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by Erg0n, Dec 10, 2003.

1. Erg0n

Erg0n My Baby Picture

In a House that's Up My Butt In A Cellar, Canada
    http://www.kungfucinema.com/news/2003-12-08-01.htm

How shitty is that. We are not only prohibited to get the imports, but we are left with a butchered version of the R1s

And to think KFC wrote an article commending the release of a US version to shaolin soccer. :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire:

Last edited: Dec 10, 2003
  2. Deaddevilman

Deaddevilman Guest

Fucking Miramax. I guess I still get these movies it just has to be ordered from offshore.

3. DefJeff

DefJeff Franca Stoppi's #1 fan

Ha! What bullshit. In addition to what you said Erg0n, who knows when they will finally release what they acquire. Shaolin Soccer is an example, which was used in the article.

4. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

This is pathetic.

5. ekent

ekent The Lord's Arm of Justice

North California, South Alabam, and little towns a
    How can they ban titles that they (mirimax) do not own the rights to? For instance, Celestial is slowly releasing all the Shaw Brothers films remastered, widescreen and original languages. How could they (mirimax) have any reign over that?

6. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

I was wondering that myself, considering the imports are legitimate releases. I do not see how this can be enforced in anyway, except through utter bullshit.

7. TobalRox

TobalRox Active Member

They said it was a ban on movies they had the distribution rights to, that's how they were able to do this. This does not affect movies they do not have the rights to.

8. b-oblivion

b-oblivion Guest

How will this affect legitimate sales from places like ebay? This is collector to collector sales, not importing. If they can stop people from selling dvds they have already purchased, it's time to start worrying. Of course, most of these titles are bootlegged anyway, but I can still buy anthing Miramax owns the distribution rights to on Ebay (Armour of God 1 & 2,Shaolin Soccer, etc.)

9. Deaddevilman

Deaddevilman Guest

I've given this some thought and I can't see how Miramax can do this. I believe the technical name for this is parallel importing and to my knowledge it is not an illegal practice.

Sounds like Miramax is just having the legal department try to scare some small time operations into not selling one of their titles and that is probably illegal, but who has the money to fight them.