Mainstream horror misconceptions

Discussion in 'General' started by maybrick, Oct 25, 2016.

1. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

By that same token Luke Skywalker wasn't Vader's son in A New Hope as Kim Bruun pointed out. So yes, this is just like Dr. Pretorius was retroactively Frankenstein's philosophy teacher even if it was never mentioned in the first Frankenstein. It's Universal canon. It's not like we're trying to apply Hammer continuity to the Universal films.

Son of Frankenstein states Ygor was in fact working for Frankenstein. What or when we can't be certain unless Universal decides to codify it some more. Obviously this is all in good fun, but you can't pick and choose what is and isn't in Universal lore. I don't think it's unfair for the general public to label Frankenstein's most iconic assistant as Bela Lugosi's Ygor.

How about this for an obvious common Horror misconception: Jason does not appear in a hockey mask in Friday the 13th.

2. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

You really are going to argue about this, aren't you? This is just silly because you are quite clearly, verifiably wrong. Ygor is NOT the assistant in Frankenstein. Young Frankenstein, yes. Regular Frankenstein, NO. Ask anybody which assistant dropped the good brain and caused an abnormal brain to be used in its stead and 99 out of 100 people are going to get it wrong. Ygor may well have been retroactively been made "a" assistant, but he definitely wasn't THE assistant in the creation of the Monster. End of story.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
    DVD-fanatic-9 likes this.
  3. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

A few years ago I had the chance to interact with him via e-mail, he was always polite and courteous and took the time to answer my questions.
    He did voice a strong dislike for most modern CGI, but that was no shock to me.

4. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

The term "zombie," used to be a fairly specific reference to a corpse that had been reanimated through ritualistic magic, often voodoo. The term was derived from Haitian folklore.

It wasn't until after the 1968 release of Night of the Living Dead, despite the fact that the word was not used within the film, that "zombie" started to take on the more generalized definitions we know today. George Romero's "Living Dead," at the time of their conception, would have been more accurately defined as "ghouls," not as "zombies."

5. ClaytonS

ClaytonS New Member

Can someone cite a specific incident in which Tom Savini was an "asshole"? I've often heard this rumor, yet, no one has come forward with a specific recounting that I have read or heard.

6. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Despite what it was advertised as, the film is titled Bride of Frankenstein, not THE Bride of Frankenstein.

7. maybrick

Robert Bloch based the character of Norman Bates primarily on an acquaintance of his by the name of Calvin Beck, editor of the magazine "Castle of Frankenstein", rather than the widely reported inspiration, serial killer Ed Gein.
    http://www.bmonster.com/horror29.html

8. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Argue? No. Devil's Advocate? Perhaps.

What can be said of ole Ygor is that he was not actually a hunchback. He had a broken neck, but presumably before that he was the perfect human specimen.

Ghouls never sat well with me as a good description of the living dead in NotLD. Ghouls were supernatural beings who dug up corpses and ate the flesh. The only ones who appear in more modern stories that I'm aware of are in Lovecraft's Pickman's Model and The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath.

I'm trying to think, it seems to me there is an old movie where re-animated corpses eat brains. But that was all incidental. RotLD was definitely the first to give zombies an acquired taste for it. I always wondered how influential Revenge of Frankenstein was on cannibalism being added to NotLD. (But also Curse of Frankenstein had The Monster preferring fresh blood and Evil of Frankenstein raw meat). Isn't there an even earlier Frankenstein-esque creation eating people?

9. maybrick

I'm familiar with the supernatural monster, but I thought that originally a "ghoul" was once a common place term for a grave robber.
    Edit: but yeah, you're right. The arabic definition is much older.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  10. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

This one made me laugh. Good job.

11. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Also the IZombie TV series.

12. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Harry Warden likes this.
  13. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I've heard many non-horror fans refer to HALLOWEEN as a "gore movie". It's not.

14. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

- "Giallo" is not synonymous with "Italian horror film."

Likewise for The Texas Chain-Saw Massacre.

othervoice1 and DVD-fanatic-9 like this.
  15. TheWZA

TheWZA Active Member

In the original A Nightmare On Elm Street the character is credited as Fred Krueger, not Freddy.

16. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

Yes to both! I do not know how many times I've heard 1987's Stagefright referred to as a giallo, incorrectly. Or Suspiria for that matter.

Another misconception, that Jason Voorhees kills teens for having sex and doing drugs. Literally nothing in the series suggests that Jason is actively seeking anyone beyond who is present at the lake. Even his mother kills just because the camp is reopened.

17. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

18. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

I am assuming buck135 means to read the book. There are probably recountings of what a douche Savani is inside.

19. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Ah ok but isn't Day of the Dead regarded as a shining star of achievement for its gore effects, due in most part to Tom Savini's talent? If he was perceived as an asshole, maybe it was because he demanded the highest quality? Just a guess.

And I'll throw my hat into the, "Tom Savini was totally cool when I met him" pile. He was fairly soft spoken and signed anything we wanted for free.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
  20. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

The book is almost unreadable due to the trashing Savini receives from the frustrated fx guys.