Lionsgate to distribute Miramax titles on Blu!

Discussion in 'General' started by Nailwraps, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I'd have a wet dream if they were announced for Blu-ray. :sperm:

The differences of the two encodes of The Descent aren't really that big of a deal. Both look very nice. It's strange that they released it first with an AVC MPEG-4 encode, and then silently reissued it with a more antiquated MPEG-2 encode and added some minor DNR to the transfer. There are some screenshot comparisons between the two online (I've now lost the link) somewhere.

The Young Guns Blu-ray from Lionsgate was a much bigger deal. The first Blu-ray had a terrible transfer/encode and looked like a simple DVD upconversion. They later reissued it (again silently) with an improved transfer that looks far more HD-ish.

2. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

+1 for The Gate and The Wraith!

3. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

yeah, i avoided buying either on dvd. i can wait. a blu ray will come.

4. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

Don't forget Dead Alive and ROTLD 3!

5. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

oh, i didn't know that. very sweet! i'd buy an SE of dead-alive, no doubt about it. and there's an issue with the previous release of rotld 3, isn't there? i know there's a reason i haven't bought it. isn't it a cut version, or something like that?

6. Nailwraps

Actually, I thought we were talking about what we would like to see on Blu from Lionsgate (they own Dead Alive and ROTLD 3). That's why I brought those titles up. There's nothing wrong with the ROTLD 3 DVD, it's just the theatrical version while other overseas DVDs feature the uncut version. As for Dead Alive, it was announced a year or 2 ago that a Blu of that as weel as Bad Taste and Meet The Feebles was in the works and that Peter Jackson was/is behind the restoration.

7. hotbodynick

hotbodynick New Member

Not to sound like an idiot, but how does a person tell which version of The Descent one owns. Is there that big of a difference? I don't want to go on a hunt for a better blu-ray if it's not that big of a deal or get wound up in panic like trying to find a disc of Slumber Party Massacre II with complete commentary.

8. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

If you have powerdvd and BD drive, just play it on your computer and click the "show all information", this will tell you what kind of signal is being fed and output. Many BD players will tell you what kind of encoding on their displays as well.

From Dusk Till Dawn is very high on my ypgrade list. I bought the Alliance BD already, but it's a disaster sound-wise. The effects are way too high, dialogue way too low, and no way to set for happy medium, even with midnight mode on my reciever. So it's basicly blow speakers and eardrums or miss half the dialogue. :rolleyes: Picture is fucking gorgerous though.:confused:

9. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Don't worry about it, since The Descent transfer issue is hardly a big deal. Both transfers are very nice. The original AVC encode is the best, but it's not like you get a huge noticeable downgrade if you buy the re-release with the MPEG-2 encode.

About the only way you can tell is by the example that bigdaddy gave above. There are also very subtle differences in the coverart/spine of the release. I can't really remember what the differences are, but it's something like a font size difference of the spine title...or something similar.

10. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Actually, most of those films were released through the "Hollywood Pictures" division of Buena Vista. I never understood why Disney decided to branch out into yet another live-action film release company after Touchstone, especially with all the direct-to-TV stuff they were making in the 80's, but...

[​IMG]

Well... it's incredibly superficial, but, I think this is bad news because I don't want the likes of Scream to be associated with the studio who brought us the shitty Saw films.

This news is also a big puzzler to me because someone just told me a month ago that Miramax / The Weinsteins actually signed a deal with Anchor Bay / Starz... To be specific, I heard it was just Dimension titles which would be released through Anchor Bay. Not sure how on-the-level the news was but I seem to remember the guy had a link and everything. It sure made perfect sense to me since Anchor Bay still own Children of the Corn and distributed parts 2 and 3 in the UK / region-2.

I have the same tape. From "Starmaker" (I think they had the same catalog as Video Treasures): logo on the bottom left. Anchor Bay logo on the bottom right. Too bad Anchor Bay never got the rights to the film on DVD(?).

11. MarkWarner

MarkWarner New Member

Loving this news, although when it comes to Scream, I'd only be getting the first film, and ONLY if it's the uncut version. Pulp Fiction is pretty high on my list of must-haves, so I'd definitely get that.

12. hotbodynick

hotbodynick New Member

I'm wondering about some of Miramax's older titles that weren't released through Disney. I know Lionsgate already put out a deluxe edition of The Crying Game, and I know it's kind of a chick flick, but I sure would like to see a blu of The Piano sometime. Not to mention Peter Greenaway's The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover -- food, child abuse, rotting animals, full frontal Helen Mirren... that flick was extreme!

13. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

I caught The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover last night for the first time ever and feel more cultured today. Not at all what I expected, but unforgetable at worst. Also just lavious and epic looking. While the AB dvd looks great upscaled, a BD would really make this movie burst off the screen. Who knew Helen Mirren was so fine?:sperm: Now I get all the great tits jokes from her hosting SNL a couple months back. They're true!

14. Nailwraps

15. Nailwraps

16. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Didn't realize Dangerous Lives Of Altar Boys was Miramax, my DVD is Columbia Tri Star.

Good movie, I would pick up a blu-ray assuming it doesn't get screwed up like a lot of the other Miramax titles.

17. rift

rift New Member

I would kill for good blu's of the Children of the Corn series, and of course my holy grail of Hellraiser: Bloodline director's cut special edition

18. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I'd love to see Hellraiser Bloodline restored in a set with both cuts. That would be awesome.

19. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

The following titles were released by Lionsgate yesterday:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Early reports on the Godzilla vs. Biollante disc were that it was just a relabelled, but not reauthored, Echo Bridge disc. I anticipate the same is true for each of these releases. It' too bad, because I would really like to get proper releases of a lot of these titles without all the various Echo Bridge compromises that many of these films previously had.

20. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Aren't those identical to the blu's they already released?