Lionsgate oct horror blu-ray batch of titles announced

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by fceurich39, Jul 19, 2010.

1. blu

blu New Member

I went there expecting the same but I guess this is a YMMV situation as I was able to pick up BWP, High Tension, Open Water, Deep Blue Sea, and 2001 Maniacs without a hiccup. Love the prices!

2. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Watched Bad Lieutenant today and there is no fucking way the movie could look better for what it is and how it was made. Some scenes are dark and grainy, but when it shines, it really shines.
    I never saw the SE dvd, only the old NC-17 from Artisan, but this kills that almost as much as New York Ripper kills the AB dvd of that. Color me impressed by this one.:)

3. Darryl Revok

Darryl Revok New Member

nah, I saw FOD there a few months ago and ended up picking it up for $10 or so. Worth the upgrade if you're into that sort of thing.

4. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

high tension looks real good on blu-ray watched it last night

5. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

Why are so many people doubting that Lionsgate put any work into these discs? The MSRP on them is $19.99, which is the same as almost all of their catalog Blu-rays. It's the same as their last October batch and THe Monster Sqaud and My Bloody Valentine both looked stellar. Near Dark had it's fair share of issues but I thought it looked the best it had ever looked. The $7.99 and $9.99 sale prices are just that: sale prices. The regular Best Buy price on these discs is $17.99, same as all those titles last year. I'm watching 2001 Maniacs right now and it looks great. There's no doubt this is an HD transfer. As for The Blair Witch Project and Open Water, as has already been stated, those aren't the best movies for an HD transfer. The flaws are probably inherent in the source materials. Open Water was filmed on DV so, like 28 Days Later, it's never going to look great on HD. I think that's why Lionsgate included the sequel. Even if it's not a good movie, at least it seems like you're getting your money's worth. They should have included Blair Witch 2 with The Blair Witch Project for the same reasons.

6. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Beats me. The picture quality on the Bad Lieutenant Blu is absolutely stunning.

7. fceurich39

so i take it the 2001 maniacs blu-ray isnt the long awaited unrated version that has been rumored for some time now?

8. Kolpitz

Nope. Same ol' R-rated cut. Same commentaries. I remember Tim Sullivan saying awhile back that the director's cut would be a bonus disc, packaged with 2001 Maniacs: Field of Screams. I assume that didn't happen because First Look Studios, not Lionsgate, put out the sequel. Why they didn't make the Blu-ray of the first film the director's cut is beyond me. Maybe Sullivan and Lionsgate had a falling out? It would explain the studio switch.

9. fceurich39

probably i was hoping it would be like the cabin fever unrated blu-ray but no dice thanks for the info

10. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

11. dvdfan

dvdfan Member

Just a heads up, High Tension is listed incorrectly as 111 minutes on the case and disc. It is in fact the Unrated cut that has already been released on DVD, clocking in at 90 minutes 44 seconds.

12. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

Ok, won't shoot you... might shoot the reviewer though. ;)
    Seriously... a terrible review. In one sentence the reviewer states that the PQ is as good as it could possibly be and then he rates the PQ 1.5 stars. I think he completely missed the point.
    Reviews like this are why I COMPLETELY gave up on HiDefDigest. :)

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  13. Darryl Revok

Darryl Revok New Member

oh, and just so everyone knows, the LG Best Buy exclusives are on sale until October 2nd

14. SickNick89

SickNick89 Member

Plus the reviewer says the sole new extra is the bookmarking feature and doesn't seem to realize the alternate endings are new to this release.

15. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

2001 Maniacs looked great last night, and I think anything shot on real film is gonna be just fine on LG BD. Those shot-on-video flicks just cannot look as good due to the source material.

"In one sentence the reviewer states that the PQ is as good as it could possibly be and then he rates the PQ 1.5 stars. I think he completely missed the point."

That is the point, the movie has always looked like shit! In the theater it was hard to follow and everything was jagged, I recall it before sleeping through the second act! To say this is being fair IMO, but I can't try to defend someone on those missing extras (unless he got s screener without them, doubtful but possible).

16. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

I agree, obviously, that the original source quality of BWP is poor overall.
    However, the Blu-ray does an excellent job of replicating the source material. Although the Hi8 footage looks generally awful, I am surprised by the amount of detail. I normally think of Hi8 as akin to VHS. But here, detail, if you can ignore the pronounced jaggies and odd color saturation (a characteristic of Hi8's poor chroma bandwidth), is nearly DVD quality. Meanwhile, the 16mm B&W footage is quite good here. Again, the source quality is far from excellent as the team used an inexpensive 16mm camera with either poor film stock, a poor lens, or both, but the BD presentation does a great job of resolving detail and grain and the 16mm footage definitely looks better than it ever could on DVD.
    In my opinion, the BD could not do any better of a job of presenting the source material. When a disc does an impeccable job of presenting the source material, I think that is always worthy of at least a three-star rating for PQ. Anything less should be reserved for when there is some sort of flaw (compression artifacts, heavy DNR, incorrect color timing, etc) inherent in the transfer.
    I am quite pleased with this release- the best PQ we can ever expect combined with the strongest set of special features to grace this film to date combine to make a worthwhile purchase for the hardcore fan of\r any horror fan who doesn't already own this title on an optical disc format.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
  17. Kolpitz

High Tension looks great on Blu-ray. They also fixed the subtitles so that they are no longer dubtitles (no more subtitles when no one is talking)! This is definitely worth the upgrade, especially for eight bucks.

18. deepred

deepred Member

Picked up High Tension @ BB for 7.99 and then saw Secretary for $9.99 and couldn't resist. I just bought High Tension on DVD this summer too and hadn't even watched it yet ... dang!

19. Dobby

Dobby Banned Mofo

I grabbed High Tension and BWP today.

20. Horrorphilly

Horrorphilly Active Member

I just finished up my Lionsgate cheep blu ray purchase with
    Bad Lieutenant,High Tension and 2001 Maniacs.

sean