LHOTL 1972/Poltergeist 2 BB Exclusives

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Samhoryak, Jan 29, 2011.

1. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

Looks about as good as I could have expected. I love that people on some forums are already slamming it...what in the hell did they expect?!

2. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

It's shocking the amount of absolute fucking retards who frequent the blu-ray.com forums. Absolutey baffling.

Those screenshots looks great. Definitely a substantial upgrade from the DVD. It looks washed out and faded in comparison. Look at the silver sheen of the mailbox. Pretty big difference if you ask me.

~Matt

3. marcx

marcx Active Member

yup--my bad I got confused onwhich was supposed to be which

4. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

After watching the Blu-ray earlier, I can say it easily beats the old DVD transfer. Sure it's grainy as fuck, but perfectly understandable in this case.

At least they didn't take a massive DNR shit on the transfer like Lionsgate did with Bad Boys ('83)! :bs:

5. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Just went back andf grabbed Heavy Metal for $14.99 abd ISOYG (Original) for $9.99. I had a $5 coupon too so both snagged for $21 after tax.

They have now rigged a $29.99 sign in front of the ISOYG (Remake) so there's no more $14.99 confusion going on.

6. ReelFear

ReelFear New Member

I watched the LHOTL (1972) blu ray, and just as PAUL0089's screenshots show, the new Blu looks very good. At first I was surprised by the amount of grain, but as i settled in, I realized how much more detail i was seeing. IMO well worth the $9.99 upgrade.

7. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

Is anyone really shocked by the amount of grain in an almost 40 year old film, shot on 16mm for less than $100,000?

8. Wez4555

Wez4555 Happy Trees Motherfucker!

wow im so glad i looked here! Ill be picking both of these up (last house and i spit) ill also see if i can by some chance take advantage of BB chimp stupity on the i spit remake. Maybe im too late tho..

Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  9. Wez4555

Well picked up last house today. Ill go back tomarrow to get I spit on your grave(original). Hoping to get a good deal on the remake but not holding my breath.

10. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I picked up the last LAST HOUSE/LEFT at a Best Buy in Reno the other day. Great price! Now I gotta get the player for it.

11. Christ75

Christ75 New Member

No.
    Same thing for The Evil Dead and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, both shot on 16mm.

It would have been great to have the option to watch the Full Frame version of LHotL.

12. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

I had none these type of issues, everything works fine and displays properly. The only gripe I have with the disc is that there does not seem to be any type of main menu. When the movie ends it just starts playing again...so get to the special features you have to use to pop up menu option.

13. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

Don't know how hard these have been to find for others. But, the Skokie, IL BB has a few copies of LHotL inconveniently placed in one of their display cases. Figured I'd mention it in case anyone Chicagoland is having difficulty finding a copy.

14. Wez4555

it was the same here.

15. blu

blu New Member

I completely agree on both counts. That site is full of whiners who can't appreciate a good transfer. The pics posted above show a lot of improvement on the BD.

16. Jason25

Jason25 Moderator

Both LHOTL and Poltergeist 2 are nice upgrades over their SD editions. The kids really liked Poltergeist 2.

17. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

I found both Lhotl & poltergeist 2 on ebay so I'm looking forward to watching them.

18. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I spent over 2 hours watching all the extras on Last House. Great stuff!

You'd think with all the extras, they'd have more than just a little pop-up menu. There's no main menu at all, the movie just loops continuously.

No complaints though, it's a great disc.

19. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

i'm a little surprised over the excitement over the poltergeist sequels. i just watched them both these last few nights for the first time in almost 20 years (part III is one of the first horror films i can recall seeing - after watching it now, and seeing that it's pretty much just a continuation of part II's plot, I understand why it made no sense to me at the time). but like i said, i'm surprised that people are interested in these. part II seemed like a real mess of a film, not knowing which direction it wanted to go in. and i would hesitate to call part III a film at all. it had virtually no plot to speak of. anyway, i don't mean to be critical. but i'd be curious to know why some of you like them enough to buy them on blu ray.

20. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I saw Poltergeist II and III when I was a kid. Like you, they were some of the fist horror films I ever saw so that's part of the love right there. Part 2 has it's moments, and yeah part 3 is a complete mess (all Lara Flynn-Boyle does is call out Carol Anne's name the entire film). However, you have to remember that Heather O'Rourke died about halfway through production of Poltergeist III so that altered the plot significantly (which is why you don't see her throughout almost the entire middle half of the film, and when you do see her, it's only from the back or running quickly past the camera in the background). Gary Sherman (who made the excellent Dead & Buried) wanted to scrap the film but MGM told him they'd just find another director to finish it if he refused. That's, I think, a major factor in why the film ended up the way it did. Rather sad, as the movie had great potential. There are, however, some scenes that are very well shot and the film is rather moody and atmospheric (love the score too).

~Matt