Let the right one in...

Discussion in 'General' started by The Chaostar, Oct 24, 2008.

1. geeare

geeare Guest

I think she was looking for a replacement because he was horrible at his job.

his first attempt he gets caught on a very well lit area of forest. second, in a freakin gym locker room. this guy was horrible. I think she knew she was gonna replace him long before he died.

2. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Presumably he's killed many times before the events in the film. So after failing once, what, she decides then and there to replace a man willing to kill for her with a kid too afraid to even defend himself? That doesn't make any sense to me.

3. neversummer

neversummer New Member

Yeah, she was really pissed off when he messed up the first kill of the movie, probably saw he was getting on in years and that he couldn't be reliable for much longer.

4. geeare

geeare Guest

actually, it makes even more sense to me now after your statement. She has trained him to defend himself and wants to train him to do even more. He can't defend himself against 5 kids but that's not the point, he will never have to defend himself against 5 people again. Anyway, I love my take on it and I am happy with that. Perhaps after a third viewing it will change but for now. I love it.

5. maybrick

That fine if you're happy, but you think she trained him? If that were true then at the end of the movie he would have flipped that kid off and swam to the middle of the pool (or something to that effect). If I learn anything from the ending of the movie it's that he's pretty much hopeless when it comes to standing up for himself. If she expected him to become her watchdog then she would have to know that him being able to defend himself (and her) against more than one opponent is essential to her survival. As her watchdog, coming up against 5 people is highly probable as vampire hunters generally come in groups. Oskar becomes her protector at the end of the film, but it seems more out of the random turn of events than out of cold calculation on her part. He has almost zero potential as a killer.

6. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    Just a thought... Some people get psychologically intimidated by certain people and maybe the bullies did this to him, but he was able to defend her against others, who didn't put that same fear in him? Also, he was sort of falling in love with her, and sometimes you are more easily able to break through your fear to defend someone you care about; sometimes much more so than defending yourself.

7. geeare

geeare Guest

i never said she finished her training. this is all getting out of hand. It's just the way I see her. She is not falling in love with him IMO, just looking for a replacement. We'll never know the truth unless of course hollywood makes several sequels of their already talked about re-make. I really don't wanna know the truth. I like that everyone takes something different from it.

8. maybrick

Well, then. So sorry about trying to have a conversation with you.

9. elahrairrah

elahrairrah Guest

After reading the book, I can tell you that she does have feelings for Oskar, and not just looking for a replacement.

10. geeare

geeare Guest

no, no, that's fine. I just thought maybe you were calling me crazy for thinking what I was thinking. I'm OK with having a conversation. I just thought maybe things were getting a little too person and heated. That's all.

I guess bandages don't have the same effect.

11. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

12. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

whoops...looks like fattyjoe beat me to the punch...i was gonna post the same thing. fuck, i am REALLY disappointed here. looks like thats another fantastic movie i'll have to hold out on.

13. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

For fucks sake! This sucks. I saw the movie in the theatre, and I can vouch that the subtitles from the screener copy on the above posted link are what I thankfully saw in the theatre. Looks like we'll have to get a petition going to get them to redo the subs....

14. chrismac87

chrismac87 Zombie Eater

What's weird is the dubbed version is done correctly. It matches the original subs perfectly and it's odd that they wouldn't just do the same with the subtitle track. I mean what on Earth do they think that Swedish people are that dumb to not be able to put together coherent sentences?

Amazes me.

15. maybrick

Can anybody confirm if the Canadian DVD release has the same issues as the US?

16. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I was about to post that article about the subtitles too. Yeah I watched the blu-ray with the subs and things did feel a little off, most of the times some of the lines were just way obvious and forced. Guess next time I'll watch it with the dubbing just so I'll know in the future exactly what they're talking about when I have the swedish dialogue back on.

17. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

I finally got a chance to see this, and really loved it. No idea about the subtitles.

(on a side note, this thread was really hard to find. For some reason, doing a forums search for "Let the Right One In" turned up zero results for me...)

18. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

wouldn't it be a pretty simple task to make an improved subtitle track downloadable using the blu ray ethernet connection? at least that would fix it for the blu version....as far as the dvd though.....

19. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

After looking at that link, wow.
    It makes me wonder how many other forgein films are just fucked in translation.

At least the one I downloaded was from the screener and has the right subs. I can tell from the first example I let the right one into my player. (drum lick)

20. JBPumpkin

JBPumpkin New Member

For what it's worth... the dvd I rented from Blockbuster this past weekend seemed to have the correct subtitles (at least based on the examples given in the various links I've checked).

But truth be told... Even with the correct subtitles, I found this particular movie to be deeply flawed - and incredibly overrated. Not trying to stir up anything, just tossing out my own little opinion.