Leprechaun: Back 2 Tha Hood review

Discussion in 'General' started by Mortis, Sep 30, 2003.

1. rift

rift New Member

I remember renting all of the Leprechaun sequels as they were released on vhs at my local store, and enjoyed the hell out of them all even up through 'in tha hood' but for some reason to this day I have never seen back 2 tha hood. Part 4 was definitely my favorite back then, but now I have a soft spot for 2.

2. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I agree with Dave, this series is one of the worst in the horror genre. I don't know if I hate them as much as Dave, as I can find some fun in some of them, but they are for the most part hard to get through. It's one of the only horror series I can think of where not even the first film was any good. 2 and 3 were decent, but part 4 in space just completely turned me off the franchise and I haven't looked back since. Every year I decide I am going to finally finish this series, make it through 1 or 2 of them, and that's it for me. It's been about four years since I started tackling the series. I will admit Warwick Davis is great in these, but everything else about them is so bland. They have such a cheap look to them with zero atmosphere, terrible acting, forgettable kills, bad dialog, etc.

3. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

I didn't make it past the first one. I figured the Sequel Law of Diminishing Returns would make them unwatchable considering the original's total lack of anything worthy of note.

4. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Hmm, let me think, Jenifer Aniston and a killer midget are pretty noteworthy. I get that not everyone would like this kind of film but I'm surprised at the plain hate some people have.

5. Do you see

Do you see Member

I just recently ordered the "Pot of Gore Collection" (w/all 6 films) for $20 off Amazon.ca. It's been awhile since I've seen the first film and some of them I've never seen (based on the comments in this thread I think I'll enjoy though), so I figure for 20 bucks wtf.

6. Zombie Dude

I got the UK 5 disc set not long ago as well. It was around the same price so for me it was no brainer. :D

7. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

I know, right? And yet it turned out so boring.

8. Zombie Dude

:eek2: Not boring, just not suited to your taste.

9. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

To me it comes down to this; why do you like the Leprechaun series? Because it's a solid drama presented in a thrilling manner with excellent production design and well interwoven social commentary? Or because of its absurd premise with cheesy comedic elements (with the understanding of bad acting and poor production values)?

To me Leprechaun In Space is the apex of what people are enjoying of this series. Admittedly it's absurd past the point of any reason and so cheesy it stinks like the feet of the gods', but that's the logical end game of this series. Rather fitting for its futuristic premise. Yes I wish Warwick got to rhyme in this, but I found he has many great scenes and even soliloquies.

There are enough cheesy movies out there with absurd premises that still play it relatively safe. Obviously the series itself has many of its own contributions to the safe category. In Space went so over the top it jumped over the moon. You just gotta love that. As film enthusiasts we can appreciate how In Space is something very special. It's not the kinda thing that comes along every release week.

10. Zombie Dude

I'll have to watch it again sometime soon and see how it goes a second time around. I definitely can't see it being my "go to" movie when it comes to the franchise.

11. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

I'm afraid In Space ruined the franchise. I probably will never bother with either Hood sequel because of that thing. The production values hurt. They're so bad, they physically hurt. Casting the guys was a stroke of genius (they're all so... damn BUILT and so void of clothing covering their bulging muscles) but I think audiences would have appreciated some decent female characters... Where are they? I can't stand Debbe Dunning. The effects are terrible too. And... well, I'm not really to call it homophobic (god knows there are worse flicks out there) but Harold. Just, Harold. Bad character. Bad dialogue. Not funny.

Dave13 - first I find out you have a thing against Dr. Giggles, now Leprechaun? It's like I don't even know you anymore!

I mean, seriously, if you see as many horror-comedies as I do, you really sorta see Leprechaun is on the better side.

12. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I don't hate the Leprechaun films. But they hurt me. Whenever I try to give them another chance (and i've given them several), I end up in a state of almost physical pain watching them. i want to like them. i do. that's why i keep trying them. hell, since this thread was revived, i've been eying part 2 on netflix. thinking "should i? should i?" on paper they seem so amazing. but for some reason they beat me down. every time. :(

i rewatched Giggles a few years ago after first seeing it on VHS. it really didn't do anything for me. nothing that moved me one way or another. for me, it was forgettable.

don't worry, we'll always have 976-EVIL II.

13. Jack Grendel

Jack Grendel Member

Exactly I see them in the same way.

14. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

Yes, hence my comment.

15. Zombie Dude

So you agree it's not boring then?

16. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

No, I agree that it is my opinion that it is boring. :)

17. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

Leprechaun? Boring? Seriously? I can understand hating it but calling it boring is more ridiculous than the film in question.

18. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

The first one? Maybe I need to revisit it, because my memory of it was not too kind. Then again, it's been 20 years.

19. Zombie Dude

Thank you.