Last Blu-ray you watched?

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Hellbilly, Apr 26, 2010.

1. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

Weird, the Momitsu was the first player I ever heard of that couldn't do this but now I figure this ability isn't as standard as I once thought. Oh well.

Thought I had already added this:

Psycho (UK)

Video - 4
    Audio - 4
    Movie - 4

2. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Fest yesterday:

Public Enemies
    Movie: 5/5
    Video: 5/5
    Audio: 4/5 (dialogue too low in parts, but not so bad)
    3D - 3/5

Gangs of New York (remastered)
    Audio: 5/5
    3D - 5/5
    WOW, never thought this film could look so good. The dvd is like watching from the bottom of a shallow lake of shit in comparision. Never saw first BD which was probably worse than the dvd from reviews I read. Stunning.

Trick 'R Treat
    Movie: 4.5/5
    3D - 5/5
    Had to see if flick was as fun and BD looked as good as I recalled. Both passed.

3. Slackjaw83

Slackjaw83 Lonely St. Tattooer

Nightmare Before Christmas
    Extras : 4/5

I picked this up used at FYE for 8 bucks, and it is STUNNING. Easily up there with "Watchmen" as one of the nicest looking BDs I've got the chance to check out. The detailing on the puppets is amazing, and the fluid movement really looks spot on due to the added clarity. It probably doesn't help that up until now, I've been watching it on VHS (a copy which I bought in '94 no less), so it really is like a completely different film. I watched it on my 32" 720 LCD, but this weekend I may get the chance to check it out on my parent's 60" 1080 plasma, which should be a real treat.

The sound is top notch. I have a 5.0 dolby system and it utilized all of the channels pretty nicely (I'm really needing to upgrade to a 7.0, though, so I can really check the difference from DVD to BD).

The extras are pretty amazing as well : A lengthy documentary from the 90's about the making of the film, a new kluged-together commentary track with Burton, Selick, and Elfman, Burton's early short films "Vincent" & "Frankenweenie", a short flash animation of the original poem (read by Christopher Lee), a tour of the NBC-themed Haunted Mansion from Disney world, and a slew of still galleries. The only thing missing would be a retrospective, which would be great considering the cult following that the movie's immersed in the 18 years since its release.

I saw this in theaters in 93, and it's been one of my favorites since then. That said, watching it on BD tonight just completely blew me away....and the fact that I picked it up for 8 bucks was just icing on the cake!

4. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

The Spirit (2008) **

Movie: 1/5
    3D Effect: 4/5
    Extras: 4/5

Easily as bad as I had heard. I love Sin City so I was surprised I hated The Spirit as much as I did. The dialogue is horrendous. Not surprising that it's a BD, just a bad film.

5. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

Bullitt (1968) **

Movie: 1/5
    Video: 3/5
    3D Effect: 1/5
    Audio: 3/5
    Extras: 4/5

I was blown away by another 60's/70's car film, Vanishing Point, which got me excited for Bullitt. I've never seen a Steve McQueen film. This is quite possibly the most boring film I've seen this year. To much time is wasted on the smallest details and there is almost no action. The overall story isn't very grand either. If you like the film, the BD does look good for a film from this era.

6. Christ75

Christ75 New Member

yesterday:

The Machinist
    Movie: 4/5
    Video: 3.5/5
    Audio: 3.5/5

The kind of movie you have to watch twice. Bale is excellent, the music is weird (sometimes you think you watch a 50's sci-fi movie and at other time a Hitchcock movie) and the

Resident Evil
    Movie: 3.5/5
    Video: 4.5/5
    Audio: 4.5/5
    3D Effect: 4/5

7. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

Giallo (California Filmes)

V - 2/5
    A - 3.5/5
    M - 3.5/5

When it's daylight things look good but when the scene is dark then what I assume is digital noise abounds. I'm assuming it's not grain (or, perhaps it's fake, computer added grain) because it sometimes forms shapes, patterns, and lines on the screen. It just looks so un-natural and obtrusive. I showed my brother a few quick scenes from the disc and he wondered if it was shot digitally and then had artificial grain added to it but a quick look at imdb tells me that it's 35mm so I guess it's noise and they just did a bad job on this disc. Wish I had a BD drive in the PC so I could show some caps as to how bad things look in certain dark scenes but I don't and having it as a still image would probably make it look worse than it already does. I'm curious to hear what others thought of this disc but I can find no reviews online so if anyone else has the disc let us know what you think. I do remember hearing someone on another forum mention that this disc had excessive grain in the dark scenes a few months back but I was picturing something a lot less severe.
    Regarding the movie itself, I have to say I enjoyed this one a lot more the second time around. It's not a bad movie, definitely not mediocre like I thought after the first viewing but it is also by no means great.

8. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Case 39 (2009) (Region B)

Movie: 3/5
    Video: 4.5/5
    3D Effect: 2/5
    Extras: didn't check yet

Starts out like a Oscar worthy drama but turns into bumpy Orphan and The Omen territory half way through. Actually, it feels like they filmed each horror scene several times and patched together what they thought might work the best. Quite a few unintentional funny lines paired with well done special effects.
    Bradley Cooper's demise was a cool highlight
    And speaking of creepy special effects, Renèe Zellweger's face looks weirdly distorted. I swear she looks puffier in every new movie she's in.
    Case 39 is not great but not the worst either. It is actually entertaining, in a messy sort of way.

9. dickieduvet

dickieduvet Member

Watched Escape From New York and Alien today. Both near flawless Movies, Opted for the Dir Cut of Alien.

EFNY

V 7/10
    A 8/10

Alien

V 9/10
    A 8/10

10. hellraiser40

hellraiser40 Well-Known Member

The Legend Of Goemon

excellent quality for A/V

movie itself is a very stylish take on Robin Hood, but with more violence, strong colors with a lot of CGI, but very fun to watch

11. MacReady

MacReady New Member

Nightmare on Elm Street (2010)

The AV was great. The bass had the windows shaking in their frames.

12. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

The Thing Red Line (Criterion)

This one pretty much looks and sounds perfect, and I picked it up for under $16 at B&N. Criterion really did a flawless job.

13. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole

Movie: 3/5

This is quite possibly the finest Blu-ray I've yet seen, because the transfer is flawless and jaw-dropping. The colors and visible details are stunning. The DTS-HD Master Audio is also crystal clear and quite thunderous.

The movie itself suffers from simply being too short, and trying to shove too much into such a compressed amount of time. But it's still a good film, just not the great one that it had the potential to be.

If you want to really see what Blu-ray is capable of at its fullest, watch this Blu-ray for that alone.

14. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

A Bay of Blood

Movie - 2/5
    Video - 4/5
    Audio - 3/5

I consider Bava's atypical giallo slightly overrated. The acting is fine, but the characters are paper-thin, comic book material at best. The murders scenes are quite well-conceived in and of themselves, and some of them were lifted directly into the first two Friday the 13ths - something which have led many to overestimate the importance of this movie to slasher genre. Cinematographically, Halloween and Friday the 13th adhere to don't owe that much to A Bay of Blood, and in terms of plot structure, there is no real basis for a comparison. And the structure is both the strength and the weakness of A Bay of Blood. It is truly unique, but it requires the characters to behave in an incredible and anti-logical manner. I guess that is the main reason why this movie doesn't completely engage me.

For a movie that never looked really great on DVD, the blu-ray is wonderful. There are a couple of vertical discoloration lines visible in some scenes, but they don't really distract, and the image and the colours are quite sharp.

The audio is fair, but the dialogue is a little on the soft side and I had to crank the volume up quite a bit. Thankfully, the Arrow disc has optional English subtitles.

15. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

The Others (2001) Region B (Germany)

Video: 4.25/5

I'd say the HD presentation is solid. Not idea if its better than the Canadian release but this ones definitely a keeper.

Mindhunters
    (2004) Region B (Germany)

Video: 4.75/5

This looks quite impressive in HD.

Wild at Heart (1990) Region B (Germany)

Video: 3.75/5
    Audio: 4/5

There are a few great HD moments at the beginning but after that its a mixed bag. The rest doesn't look horribly bad but fine detail seems lost ever so often and a few shots appear murky. Other than that I was happy with it. No extras whatsoever on the disk though.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  16. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning, The - 96 Minute Unrated Version - DTS-HD Master Audio (2006) -- Blu-ray, REGION A

Poltergeist 2 (Best Buy Exclusive) - DTS-HD Master Audio (1986) -- Blu-ray, REGION A

Dog Soldiers - Dolby TrueHD (2002) -- Blu-ray

17. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Is the video as bad as everyone says?

18. Horrorphilly

Horrorphilly Active Member

SIDEWAYS

Great movie,cult classic in my eyes.

sean

19. ReelFear

ReelFear New Member

watched the new EXCALIBUR blu ray last night. Despite some less than favorable online reviews, I think this looks the best it ever will. One of my all time favorites and still holds up as a visual masterpiece.

20. blu

blu New Member

Rewatched Pontypool this afternoon with a friend. He wanted to see something different so that's what he got. ;)