King Kong Vs Godzilla reboot

Discussion in 'General' started by othervoice1, Sep 15, 2015.

1. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Watched this on HBO MAX this weekend.

It was pretty good. I will have to admit, I would have rather them had this setting very close to Skull Island. Instead of what? Like 50+ years later? Speaking of Kong Skull Island. Did the makers of this film ever seen that movie? LOL The entire King Kong part in Kong vs Godzilla. I'll just say this. Where they on drugs when they wrote it? :confused:

Real simple concept to follow. Kong is on Skull Island, Godzilla was in another area. Have a movie where they explore the other area. Then bring Kong to that area. Not that hard to write. Instead we got ..... NOT THAT.

I just say this. If you're a Godzilla fan(which I am), you will like this. For obvious reasons.

Godzilla made Kong his bitch. They even gave Kong a weapon. Still didn't help. Ha

2. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Big old bag of MEH for me. I should have seen in Imax, I'm sure I would have enjoyed it more.

I didn't like how Godzilla looked either. Reminded me of the monster in that Mathew Broderick -Puff Daddy soundtrack pile of shit from the 90s.

Anaestheus and Zombie Dude like this.
  3. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

You sure about that? :D
    [​IMG]

othervoice1 and Zillamon51 like this.
  4. Zillamon51

Zillamon51 Member

I'm seeing this for the fourth time in theater tonight. Second time in Dolby (awesome), once in Imax (awesome), and once in 3-D (underwhelming). So yeah, I really like this movie.

(I'm a big fan of these movies overall, and I hope that they #ContinueTheMonsterVerse.)

othervoice1 likes this.
  5. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Ironically I really like that 90's Godzilla design. To me it's more visually interesting than the chunky new one.

6. Steel76

The design is okey, but it works better as a failed clone, that Godzilla has to fight.
    And that he did :D

Zombie Dude likes this.
  7. Zombie Dude

At least the Godzilla in that clip isn't a big fat boy lol. For the American films I'll take 90's Godzilla.

8. Zillamon51

Zillamon51 Member

I'll take a fat Godzilla, that has the spirit of Godzilla, over a lizard that runs from the military and is easily dispatched with a few missles, any day.

Steel76 likes this.
  9. Dave

Dave Pimp

I liked godzilla 98 since day one. Bad acting and a cheesey story but still kind of fun in a 'check your brain at the door' kind of way.

Also enjoyed Godzilla Vs Kong. Maybe a touch too long but also a fun flick.

10. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

I agree. I think his head is too small and it diminishes some of his menace. But, I actually like the general bulk of the rest of his body.

Also, wanted to add an addition plug for Shin Godzilla. It's an extremely weird film with all of the mutations, etc. But, it also an excellent giant monster movie. There's barely any sub-plots. Hell, there are barely any main characters. It's just about watching the whole nation try to react to a gigantic creature crawling across the country and it's thrilling.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
    Zombie Dude likes this.
  11. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

My local theater is finally open again starting today. This will be my first movie on a big screen in 6 months. I haven't read any of the reviews as I want to go in without any expectations.

12. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

What garbage. I may not have been as disappointed by this as I was by King of the Monsters, but that's only because my expectations were so dramatically lowered by that earlier mess. Godzilla 2014 was flawed but entertaining, and Skull Island was actually pretty good. It's a shame the last two films couldn't capitalize on that. Let's hope this is the end of this franchise.

...a lightning axe. Jesus shit.

Myron Breck and Zombie Dude like this.
  13. Zombie Dude

I'd like someone to take these films into a more serious place in the future, more akin to Shin Godzilla which was awesome.

14. Steel76

If you think that is silly, wait until you see the 1962 original, where Kong is powered up by lightning, and uses his lightning fists in the fight with Godzilla :D

At 6.50 into this clip.

Except for the original and Shin Godzilla, the Japanese films have always been cheesy.
    And that's why I liked the new movie. The old-school cheese. I just can't take stuff like this seriously anyways :D

othervoice1, russweiss and maybrick like this.
  15. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

You're right. And I don't know if theres a satisfactory explanation for why I enjoy those old movies and hated these new ones. But that's the truth of it. Regardless of whether or not I can articulate exactly why that is. But I was thinking along those same lines while watching Godzilla vs Kong : "would I enjoy this story if it were a film from the 60's?" So I was making an effort to remain self-aware. But in the end it didn't help me enjoy the film at all.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  16. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I had meant to watch this while it was on HBO Max... but I just couldn't muster up the enthusiasm. Their theatrical movies are only on there for 30 days, so it's gone now.

Honestly, it kind of bums me out when they take creative filmmakers like Wingard or Dougherty and have them do some big homogenized Hollywood thing without any identity whatsoever. It seems like a waste. Although I'm sure they don't mind because $$$$.

Zombie Dude likes this.