John Carpenter's THEY LIVE (1988) from Shout Factory

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by bruce h, Aug 10, 2012.

1. bruce h

bruce h Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

I posted this in the Shout Factory thread, but was afraid it might get lost in the shuffle.

"I've come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum." Coming this November from Shout! Factory's awesome Scream Factory imprint, it's John Carpenter's THEY LIVE (1988)! Homeless drifter Rowdy Roddy Piper teams up with construction worker Keith David to fight a race of aliens who have infiltrated society, forcing the human race to do their bidding via subliminal messages that can only be seen by wearing special sunglasses. An excellent sci-fi satire of '80s consumerism with tons of quotable lines and a now-legendary 5 1/2-minute back alley brawl, it's about time this classic gets the treatment it deserves, and Shout is just the company to do it. PURCHASE. OBEY.

Preorder:
    Blu: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...eASIN=B008VF0Y0M&linkCode=as2&tag=cinema09-20
    DVD: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...eASIN=B008VF0XVM&linkCode=as2&tag=cinema09-20

Trailer:
    http://youtu.be/ZmVF1Rv8RN8

[​IMG]

2. Mikey Horror

Mikey Horror Active Member

Can't wait! One of my favorite flicks of all time and easily my most anticipated release next to the UK's Universal Monsters coffin set.

3. vidjunkie

vidjunkie Team Blu

This is great, will be getting this for sure, now I just wish they would release JC's Prince of Darkness.

4. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Is there anything better than that fight scene in the alley :D

All these Shout! Blu's are too friggin' expensive. Gonna wait for price drops and sales.

5. bruce h

Well, licensing from a major studio isn't cheap, plus they're putting a lot of time and effort into creating new supplements to make their discs as definitive as they can get. I think $20 is a fair price.

Now Olive, on the other hand...

6. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

It is amazing how relevant this film is to today's political environment.

7. bruce h

8. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

From Shout's DVD page:
    Git it

9. bruce h

Finalized list of extras announced on FB today -- some really cool additions!:

- Audio Commentary with Writer/Director John Carpenter and Actor Roddy Piper
    - Independent Thoughts – A new interview with Writer/Director John Carpenter
    - Man vs. Aliens – An interview with Actor Keith David
    - Woman of Mystery – An interview with Actress Meg Foster
    - Watch, Look, Listen: The Sights & Sounds of “They Live” – A look at the visual style, stunts and music from the film with Director of Photography Gary B. Kibbe, Stunt Coordinator Jeff Imada, and Co-Composer Alan Howarth
    - 2012 Cast Reunion Q&A with Roddy Piper, Keith David, and Meg Foster. Presented by Ain’t It Cool News and Texas Frightmare Weekend.
    - Original EPK: The Making of “They Live”
    - Never-Before-Seen Footage from the Commercials created for the film.
    - Original Theatrical Trailer
    - TV Spots
    - Still Gallery

10. pwrslave

pwrslave New Member

Looking at the item description for the Blu, it appears the posters are sold out. Any confirmation of this?

11. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

From their website:

12. pwrslave

pwrslave New Member

Thanks Katatonia. I just saw that as well, must have missed it the first time.

13. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Have I ever mentioned Jonathan Lethem's book on They Live? It's part of a "Deep Focus" series of books on film and music, etc. (available here, among other places)

Lethem is a fantastic writer and this slim book is a fun read-along while you watch. It's not an "art book" or anything like that--more like a series of essays on certain scenes in the film.

14. MacReady

MacReady New Member

No, there is not.

Isnt that one of the longest fight scenes ever? Read that some where, a long time ago, in a galaxy far away........something like that, lol.

Might have to get the blu copy.

15. bruce h

Down to $13.86 at Amazon.

16. gobad2003

gobad2003 Well-Known Member

That must have been quick because it's back up to $22.81. Damn I still need that one too :mad:

17. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I couldn't find the regular Shout thread but this works here too. Just received this email.

We are reaching out to you today to let you know that, while all of the Frank Armitage figures have been manufactured and are on the way to our distribution center, we will not have them in time to ship for our original targeted date.

Our manufacturer has informed us that disruptions in the supply chain will delay delivery for several days. We are holding all orders for the figure and figure inclusive bundles in anticipation of delivery to us January 18.

Once we have the product in our warehouse we will begin shipping immediately. We hope the next email you get about your order is a shipping confirmation. If the supply chain is further disrupted and foils our plans, we will email you with a new date.

We apologize for any inconvenience and thank you for your patience,

[​IMG]

18. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I just received this email.

Well it seems that the fates are not with us when it comes to delivery of the They Live action figure. We were notified today that the truck carrying our delivery could not deliver because the company has a shortage of drivers due to Covid. This figure was delivered to the Los Angeles port from China and was to have been delivered and started shipping today after an expedited trip across the US to our warehouse in Kentucky. They now tell us they will deliver on Monday.

If weeks and weeks after you bought Frank you purchased the My Bloody Valentine figure, you will start to see shipping confirmations for that today. It's port of entry was in Wisconsin and that delivery is one day from our Kentucky Distribution Center and it arrived there this morning. We are packing that out as I write to you.

There are only so many ways for us to tell you that we are sorry, we were furvently hoping that we'd ship Frank Armitage today, no dice...ironically we do have lots of bubblegum.

We will deliver! Please hang in there.
    Shout! Factory

[​IMG]