James Wan’s ‘Malignant’

Discussion in 'General' started by Colin, Jul 20, 2021.

1. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

baggio, Katatonia and Steel76 like this.
  2. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

No trailer for me. Poster looks good. We'll see how this turns out. A lot of hype so far.

3. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Only watched the first half of the trailer, don't want to see any spoilers.

4. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Trailer was eh. It was OK but I'm not super excited for this one. Wan can be hit and miss. Hopefully this one's a hit though.

5. Zombie Dude

Watched the trailer again and will say there's some cool visuals going on in some of it. The story itself is what looks to be dry.

6. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I agree he can be hit and miss, but I'll give it a go, no viewing of trailer for me.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  7. soxfan666

soxfan666 Well-Known Member

Comes out today. Reviews are a little better than average. I will check this out on HBO Max tonight.

Steel76 likes this.
  8. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

I got to tell you. I'm gonna be sad when HBO MAX ends it's Same Day Premiere releases.

Zombie Dude and Steel76 like this.
  9. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

I plan on catching this at the theaters this weekend.

10. Steel76

Watching it at home tomorrow night.

11. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Saw this in the theater on a large screen and they played it pretty loud. The film is widescreen 239:1 AR. Watching it at home just wouldn't be the same. It was more entertaining than I was expecting. Part of that may be that my wife jump's a lot during scare scenes which adds to my enjoyment. There is a huge body count and some rather violent scenes. I won't give it away but it was basically a remake of an 80's horror film.

12. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

I enjoyed it. Definitely not in the vein of Wan's previous supernatural films. More about the visuals and violence than jump scares.

13. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Wow, the last 20 minutes of that were crazy. For the most part, the movie reminded me of an homage to '90s Dimension horror. Characters are pretty weak and the lead is a total bore, but stick with it because wow does it ever pay off.

Keep an eye out for Zoe Bell with a mullet.

14. Steel76

Holy shit did this movie deliver the goods.

I did NOT expect the movie to turn out like this, and I hope people don't skip it, thinking it's yet another supernatural ghost movie, because it's NOT.
    As mentioned above, the last 20 minutes was batshit over the top violent, and I had a HUGE smile on my face :D

I loved the camerawork and lighting in this one. It kinda gave it an 80:s vibe.
    The soundtrack was great as well, with some retro synth wave included.

After this, I would LOVE to see Wan direct a Evil Dead or Elm Street sequel :D

hots4 likes this.
  15. Zombie Dude

I didn't enjoy this one at all besides some laughs towards the end. It mostly trudges along the first half and feels like a shot for TV movie or show. The idea of this seemed way too stupid for me and I found none of it scary or creepy. Definitely left me disappointed and laughing at the wtf ending.

buck135 likes this.
  16. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

I had modest expectations going in and came out entertained. Despite a number of faults in the story structure.

James Wan, once again, proves he is the best mainstream, horror director in the business. The cinematography is gorgeous, the action and editing very fluid, the score is memorable, and the gore is plenty. But, what holds this one back is the clunky, poorly executed story telling in the first act. I know you want a certain level of mystery involved with a film like this, but the plot is far too dense and complicated that it's hard to follow exactly what is going on at points. As the film continues, and the pieces start coming together, the rest of the film is a real treat. The finale is balls to the walls gory and violent, and so over-the-top, I couldn't help but be entertained. It has a fantastic, 1980's B-movie quality to it.

I'd recommend it if you want something that breaks the mold of modern supernatural horror.

russweiss and Steel76 like this.
  17. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I enjoyed it, I agree it's s bit slow in the first act, but it certainly made up for it in the final act. I will purchase as I think I'll enjoy it more with additional viewings.

Steel76 likes this.
  18. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

I avoided the trailer and any reviews for this so I had no idea what it was really even about beyond a woman seeing murders as they happen. I was unprepared for how nuts this was, I was smiling like an idiot for a good 30 straight minutes after the video tape reveal scene. Some of the craziest crap I've seen in a theater in a movie with a wide release like this and I think I loved it.

I was hoping to avoid annoying teenagers because this is rated R but of course 3 minutes before the trailers ended, 3 loud ass teenage girls walk in and sit 6 seats away from me. Then a minute before the movie starts 2 of them leave to get food, show back up 20 minutes into the movie and have no idea what is going on and need to be filled in by the friend that stayed. Fortunately the whole row in front of me was empty so I got up and moved clear on the other side and was able to actually hear the movie. I love horror, but I kinda hate seeing horror movies in theaters because they always seem to bring out the shitheads. There's a Alamo Drafthouse kind of near me where you're less likely to encounter these kind of people but it's just a bit too far away to justify driving there and back for a movie.

Natas and Steel76 like this.
  19. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

I saw this yesterday and really did not like the film at all. I like the premise of the film, but the way it was executed and how the soundtrack was presented, really felt off at times, like way off. Definitely one of his weaker outputs IMO.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  20. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

The Alamo Drafthouse is always worth the trip!! I used to drive 90 mins each way to one a few times a year.

My theater plans fell through, ended up just watching this at home. I loved it. The reveal was bonkers.....really had fun with it. I'll try to catch again on the big screen if I can.....

Steel76 likes this.