Jack Ketchum's The Girl Next Store: Most Distrubing Film Since Henry...

Discussion in 'General' started by gfanikf, Oct 12, 2007.

1. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I'm not sure why some of you guys have these negative preconceptions over this film. If you've read the book or know the story that inspired it, then you would see it's potential.

2. zompirejoe

zompirejoe Active Member

It was a good movie, not nearly as torturous as the book. The book had a better ending and it should not have changed for the film. It would have made the film more powerful. That being said, I do not consider this a horror movie. It is a realistic drama ,with some depraved characters, about the dark side of human nature and the consequences for everyone involved. It also shows an accurate portrayal of a crime that took place during a supposedly more innocent times. I reccomend the movie, but it is not something you will want to watch over and over, if ever again.

3. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

It's just because I'm sick of horror movies being made only trying to out-sick, out-brutalize each other.

The second I find out this movie is legit and is more than merely the trend on its own terms, I'll eat my last, negative words.

4. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

I really liked the film. It's not nearly as powerful for me as the book was...but the performance by the woman who played Ruthie was tremendous. I thought most of the kids were good, but some scenes were a tad amateurish.

Still one of the best films of the year.

5. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Shocking and disturbing. It was hard to sit this one through at times, mainly because of the next door boy/witness David Moran.
    He saw all the awful things happening to Meg yet failed to tell anybody. Why? I so wanted to beat the crap out of him. Grrrr.
    Besides that, Blanche Baker as Ruth Chandler was simply excellent. What a sick, twisted bitch :nervous:

One a sidenote, anyone happen to see An American Crime? Tells the same story and has a few A-list actors.

6. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

For those interested, the other film based on the Likens case, An American Crime, premieres on Showtime this coming Saturday night.

7. Horrorphilly

Horrorphilly Active Member

I just recently saw this and has mixed emotions.I really felt sorry for Meg but I expected more disturbing things to happen to her in the movie.I guess maybe im jaded from these types of movies.It was a good movie no doubt.I If what happened to Meg, happened to me.I would be fucked up emotionaly and physicaly also.

Sean

8. Tina12312

Tina12312 Guest

I couldn't have said it better. The actress who played Ruthie was so right on the money and she gave me chills.

I also wanted to say that Peaceable Kingdom is an excellent book, just love it. And they are filming Offspring now so I really can't wait to see how they handle that one.

9. DVD Connoisseur

DVD Connoisseur Active Member

Just watched this tonight with a friend. He left after the viewing in something of a dazed state - his tolerance level for this kind of horror movie isn't very high.

I thought it was a well made film with great performances from the cast. As a double-bill with "Inside", I felt that I delivered a rather nihilistic viewing experience!

10. dirkwu

dirkwu Bannable Lector

It was a bore. Tried way to hard. The Meg actress was lame. The nudity was surprising. The sixteen candles older sister did a great job. Just a lame story based on a really horrible happening. Not even good wank material as far as gorno goes. pfft.

11. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

I thought this was a nice downbeat, nihilistic little film, with few redeeming values. Which actually was the entire point. It defies expectation because horror films usually find themselves wrapping everything up with a sigh of relief from the audience, here we're denied that. As such, it's decent. On the other hand it's not really great, and perhaps they should have given us at last a glimmer of hope.

12. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I just watched The Lost. Are all of Jack Ketchum's books so nihilistic and about such losers?? I've seen other directors / writers touch on those areas in a film or book, but not constantly.