Jack Ketchum's The Girl Next Store: Most Distrubing Film Since Henry...

Discussion in 'General' started by gfanikf, Oct 12, 2007.

1. gfanikf

gfanikf Guest

2. HAEMORRHAGE

HAEMORRHAGE If he dies, he dies

That headline alone makes me want to see it. Sounds good. I'll be sure to pick it up.

3. adric

adric New Member

im currently reading the book and it is pretty graphic but im enjoying it alot. i think im looking forward to An American Crime more then this though.

4. Luna

Luna Guest

The book is quite disturbing. If the movie is even half of that it'll surely live up to this thread title.

5. gfanikf

gfanikf Guest

Cool, happy people seem into it. Remember you can always use my associate link at my site lol

6. joltaddict

joltaddict New Member

The book was great but I dont think a whole lot of the worst stuff will make it into a movie.

7. Crazferret

Crazferret Member

I watched this at Fantastic Fest last month. It was a VERY disturbing film. I was sitting toward the back of the theater and I could hear someone in the front crying out loud as the final credits rolled. There were also quite a few walkouts during the screening. I wouldn't compare it to "Henry", as they are totally different types of movies. The thing that makes the "Girl Next Door" so harsh is that it is based on a true story and the backdrop is in the oh so innocent 1950's.

The director, writer, and Grant Show were in attendance for a Q&A afterwards. The director, Gregory Wilson, talked about the sensitivity involved with having so many children on set dealing with such a brutal subject matter. The Q&A centered around the children on set and how difficult it was to translate the story to the screen. Despite how hard it was to watch, "The Girl Next Door" was rated very high by festival goers.

8. I'll be checking this one out, when it comes out. The book is excellent, btw. Jack Ketchum even said he toned down the book. If the book was toned down, I am damn sure the original manuscript went beyond...beyond, if that makes any sense.

9. Tina12312

Tina12312 Guest

I agree the book is excellent, some parts very hard to read and I'm sure the movie will probably be very close to that. Ketchum is so great at writing about the evils of humans.

10. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

Has anyone ever read Ketchum's short story about a Pedophile... GOSH! It was in his Peaceable Kingdom book... I dont have the book anymore but I think the title was simply "Pedophile"...

Looking forward to Girl Next Door!

Now... if only Off Season would be made into a movie...

11. joltaddict

joltaddict New Member

I second Peaceable Kingdom. The best short story collection Ive read since Lucy Taylors Unnatural Acts.

12. CasEjonz

CasEjonz Guest

After reading "The Girl Next Door" I could only say: "Ketchum, you sick fu@k!!" The book was excellent and so disturbing, but as Tina12312 stated, Ketchum is great at writing of the evils of humanity, and this is taking that Rockwellian slice of Americana and pouring toxic rot over it!! I cant wait to check out the movie, only to see what made it into the film and how they handled it!! When I was reading the book, I started to picture a young Fred Savage as the protagonist, "The Wonder years" gone to Hell :D

13. cjg

cjg Active Member

now when is the dvd version of The Lost comming out ?

14. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

The Girl Next Door... straight to DVD Dec 4th... :(

15. killit

killit Active Member

Grant Show from melrose place and point pleasant is in this? I read this book, pretty good, not a feel good experience.

16. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

i wonder what stores will have this for sale will walmart get it as they have been getting most starz/anchor bay mainstream titles anyone know?

17. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

This movie sounds like crap.

18. ReelFear

ReelFear New Member

THE GIRL NEXT DOOR did not disappoint. Here's what classic horror is all about. Shocking you without being overly graphic. No movie can compare to the imagination. There's far less onscreen bloodshed than Last House On The Left, I spit On your grave, or Hostel part 2 for that matter. But TGND has power, and is a disturbing film that will stick in your memory. made for an obviously low budget, the photography is excellent, and direction strait forward. The acting , mostly by children is very good. The movie takes about 40 minutes to get going, so be patient. Once it kicks into gear, it never lets go. In the end there's hope and some heart even in the darkest places. 8 out of 10

19. gore

gore Guest

Why did I feel like this movie is Overly graphic until I read this post? :confused:

20. Erg0n

Erg0n My Baby Picture

In a House that's Up My Butt In A Cellar, Canada
    I managed to see this film yesterday after a friend of mine recommended it. It was better than I expected

He also has another movie titled The Lost which I haven't seen yet but heard it was also good