Is "The Stuff" as Good as I Remember???

Discussion in 'General' started by Horror Junkie, Aug 9, 2009.

1. :D Huge Crowd pleaser this was when I was younger! I remember watching it many times with friends and my brother but that was quite awhile ago. I just wanted to get a few opinions on how the Anchor Bay dvd is? I just saw it for cheap, and if my memory serves me right (long-term memory at least) this should be one hell of a fun watch.

I remember the gore scenes being pretty awesome as peoples heads melted and expanded as The Stuff burst out of them or absorbed them, "how do these scenes and effects hold up now" I'm wondering? I'm aware is Larry Cohen so I'm well aware of what to expect and I remember this one pretty vividly and just wanted to get a few opinions before I add it to my Monster Movies section.

Thanks.

2. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

i think it does still hold up well i still have the anchor bay i'll have to watch again

3. 2D4EVER

2D4EVER Guest

Still a fun movie to watch. I don't think it's lost any of its charm.

4. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

Rewatched it a couple years back, and rated it on my list as 2.5 (if I had to round to an integer it would push more on the up side to 3 than the downside to 2) out of 4. It had its flaws but it ran more than it stumbled. A solidly fun film worth watching and owning, just not one of the greats or classics (other than cult classic).

If you can get it cheap, do it. Its not a must have film, but its also far from one of those films you regret spending the money on.

5. Conal Cochran

Conal Cochran New Member

Pure '80 cheesy fun. Can't go wrong with that movie. In fact, I am going to watch it tonight. Thanks for the idea.

6. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I think it indeed is. Incredibly fun movie, but then again I'm a sucker for pretty much anything Larry Cohen.

7. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Good,goofy fun if you like Cohen's quirky sense of humor.The low budget effects have a certain charm.The transfer on the disc is pretty solid too.

8. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Some scenes are, some aren't. The Mo Rutherford character is especially dragging on viewings now. He's kind of hot and definitely sly and charming (his best scene is probably on the boat with the sweaty-palmed businessmen), but that accent gets annoying at times, and when he dials it up (especially at the factory in front of all the soldiers)- he ruins the moment entirely.

Everyone else is perfect (though for the life of me, I couldn't see Chocolate Chip Charlie as a realistic Spokesperson for just about anything). Especially the kid's family. The best scene in the movie, unquestionably, is when they're trying to get him to eat The Stuff and they're guilting him with "you always get everything you want" and "we bought this house because you liked it."

The special effects are extraordinary. For what they were trying to achieve. The whole film is working off a "low budget charm" because... it is low-budget. Otherwise, I imagine someone like Paul Newman would be Mo Rutherford and Meryl Streep would be Nicole (I can't see age-appropriate stars, least not people we assume are younger, playing these roles in a big budget Hollywood film, not at this time in cinema history).

Is The Stuff the same as you remember? Probably. You'll most likely like it now as much as you did then. It hasn't changed at all. (On a side-note, anyone seen Andrea Marcovicci lately?)

9. rhett

rhett Administrator

Cohen has always been the king of the high concept, and THE STUFF certainly has a great premise going for it. Like many of his other movies, though, much of it is hit and miss. I liked the ads lampooning consumer culture, but all that military shenanigans wore thin very quickly. Michael Moriarty, ugh, I've never been able to appreciate his line readings. How he got so much work back in the day, I'll never know. Still, some goody fun, but probably a 2.5 on the KGB scale as well.

10. NaturesMistake

NaturesMistake Active Member

Haven't seen this one yet... I like Cohen, and I've been neglecting this one...

Gonna have to check it out.

11. HAEMORRHAGE

HAEMORRHAGE If he dies, he dies

The Stuff was a boatload of fun and that goo looks delicious. I'm sure it's better than Cool Whip.

12. Drama Queen Die

Drama Queen Die Banned Mofo

The Stuff is awesome.

13. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

You too, eh? My first gut reaction to seeing his character portrayal in a leading man role was "why are any of the other characters giving the time of day to this puffed up, condescending prick?" I kept waiting for something to justify the level of other's competence confidence in his character - some display of kicking ass, some display of expertise in a field of knowledge. Anything other than simply a pip-squeak rendition of "everyman" whose response to an unusual situation is to swagger around asserting demands or alternately engage in incessant whining. Rather than rational discourse, dealing with others as more than just obstructing idiots. Yes, it ends up the script proves his character right, but you can't help but wonder how the hell could such a smarmy bastard manage to get anyone to follow him?

Over time I've built up a tolerance for Michael Moriarty - an "appreciation" based more on the acceptance that his performances in roles he was clearly miscast have ranged from decent to "didn't totally bung things up", and that pulling that off does take a bit of talent. I'm still wondering, though, whether his on screen abrasive personality is a factor of the script/director (and thus being no fault of Moriarty's), or whether it’s the only note he's comfortable playing on his actor's bagpipe. Or, as his sometimes publicized off screen comments indicate, that he really is a prick down to the core and isn't acting at all. He's surprised me with hints of talent and acting depth enough times for me to not automatically conclude he's a one trick hack, but then again he's fallen back into that rut enough times to make me rethink my rethink.

14. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Looks pretty good to me,time has been kind to her.

15. Sounds like a flick I need to add thanks guys, gonna pick this up pronto!

16. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

actually just blind-bought this for $6 at HMV. if you live in the great white north, its a pretty good deal.

17. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member