Is the Saw franchise really that bad?

Discussion in 'General' started by BroodingHope, Jul 27, 2007.

1. BroodingHope

BroodingHope New Member

The title is a bit misleading. I've seen all of the Saw films and like them all for reasons I won't go into here. However, what I'm wondering is why the movies seem to get less then stellar responses. Certainly they are better than most of the current horror movies Hollywood has been putting out. Is it the fact that they seem to be milking the franchise for all it's worth? This brings me to my next point. I hope they continue to make these movies for as long as there is an audience that's willing to pay to see them. Think about it, by and large a lot of us haven't been with a horror franchise like this from the beginning. Many of us are too young to have seen classics like Halloween (and subsequent sequels) during their theatrical run. Hell, I'm willing to go out on a limb and suggest that all three Saw films are better produced, directed, acted, and superior to the majority of sequels of big horror franchises. The Saw franchise is truly something wonderful for horror in my opinion. Anyone else?

2. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

Well, I wouldn't worry about not being around for those older horror frachises. If we take Halloween, since you mention it, there were huge gaps between installments.

Halloween was released in 1978, it took three years before we got part II. Then we got the odd man out, Halloween III (yeah, yeah, the be3st of the franchise) a year after that. Halloween 4 followed on six years later. Halloween five a year on, and the next one not until six years afterwards. There were then four years between the next two installments.

So it's not quite like the Saw thing where the films seem to be dripping out a production line.

Modern horror films arn't received all that well overall unless they're particularly nasty. Personally I think this is due to a couple of things - fickle audiences and the fact that we've become more accustomed to the techniques used to scare us.

Saw itself.... well the first film is great. The second film bad. The third film, meh. The reason for me is that the first film has some element of mystery that is missing in the follow ups. The main villian, frankly, just isn't scary - only the situations are somewhat frightening, and they're all so manufactured. By the third film they "puzzles" are beginning to have a sameness about them. And the backstory of the girl..... not good.

And when every film screams "I'M A FRANCHISE", well, it feels more like a merchandizing exercise more than anything else.

I'll keep watching, and expecting less and less. Basically for me, the story is getting real old. But then, I accept the bad story line in the Halloween and Friday franchises without question. So I guess I'm also one of the fickle ones. :D

3. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I saw the first movie and it was alright. JUST alright. Then when it became apparant that they planned upon releasing a new one each year I just kind of spaced out about it all. I just don't care enough to bother with this series, plain and simple.

4. Mark Relford

Mark Relford Chairman of the Bored

I'm behind. Is the fourth one still being planned? What more can you do with this franchise?

5. BroodingHope

BroodingHope New Member

The fourth film is set to come out on the 26th of October, I believe it's in the editing process right now. They've also just named a director for the fifth and sixth installments.

6. 17thJuggalo

17thJuggalo Active Member

The Saw series isn't that bad, I just hate the fact that half of the movies are border-line CSI episodes.

7. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

I enjoyed the first Saw and was pretty excited about the twists. I was severely disappointed with Saw II. I felt Saw III was decent but nothing to write home about. I'll probably watch further sequels but with low expectations.

8. I enjoyed all three. I'm not really a big fan, but I'll definitely see 4 in the theater.

Random thought: If a reasonably well-done horror-themed tv show came out that planned on releasing a new episode every week, it would most likely be good news. I personally think the idea of a reasonably well-done horror-themed franchise that plans on releasing a new movie every year is a fun idea, assuming the episodes can continue to be well-done and the series can somehow be kept from becoming boring and repetitive. I think the Saw series has done this so far, but I hope Saw 4 has less in common with its ancestors than Saw 3 did.

9. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

Saw=Nihilism for 13yo.

10. Xtro_13

Xtro_13 Guest

11. toiletflush

toiletflush New Member

Saw...ugh

Personally, I hate the Saw movies. Only watched the first two on cable...

I just seems like they come up with a stupid twist, write the script from that, and then fill the movie with annoying idiots who you don't care about. And the gore isn't even hard...and don't get me started on the quick flash cuts, every time something "crazy" is happening...IMHO of course.

12. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Really? I haven't seen any of the Saw movies yet, but I can't certainly say I don't like CSI.

13. aoiookami

aoiookami Demon Fetishist

To me Saw is a series that think's its the most clever thing to ever be put on film, but is really just fooling itself. The way they try SO hard to push the laughable "I've never killed anyone" angle and the equally stupid twists into each film has just gotten stale. They are trying way to hard to put filler into a movie that is just about 'clever' ways to kill people. Jigsaws motivation and everything about his characters is really just embarassing. "I have cancer, people dont appreciate their lives so I'm going to kill them...but not really...."

14. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Checked out the first two films in theatres. Really enjoyed Saw and wound up being suprised at the ending which I didn't see coming the first time around.

Saw II was atrocious as far as I'm concerned. Everything felt formulaic and predictable. Hated pretty much every character in this sequel. The ending and setup for the third film convinced me that I have no desire to watch any further entries in the series.

15. Alan Smithee

Alan Smithee Member

I don't think the series is that bad. I saw each of them in the theater. I really liked the first two but the third was a bit disappointing. It just seemed that at that point they were stretching for ideas. Still, I didn't hate the film. The Saw movies aren't high art, but I don't need every movie I watch to be some big artistic statement. I'm old enough to remember when a new Freddy film would come out every year and I actually think its pretty cool that there's a new horror franchise that is doing that now.

16. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I liked the first a lot, although it does lose some of its impact once you know the ending, kind of like the sixth sense. actually the franchise kind of reminds me of m. night schamlalnynglanagnanaaln movies, in the sense that they are almost gimmick films, but fun gory ones. the second one was pretty good as well, had some cool kills. didn't offer much more then the first though. i have yet to see the third film as i am waiting on the 2 disc version.

17. Horrorphilly

Horrorphilly Active Member

I really enjoy the Saw movies but I think as each one gets released there going to lose more of there impact like the Friday the 13th and Halloween movies.Saw was fresh and invigorating,Saw 2 was still invigorating and Saw 3 was awesome but sort of lost its flair.I will see Saw 4 but I dont expect the masses to enjoy it like the previous ones.

Sean

18. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

YES- they are ALL really that bad....

19. drown021

drown021 Guest

In a nutshell,I like all 3 of the Saw movies and am looking forward to the the 4th installment.I think this is what the horror genre needs.We have had the Friday the 13's,nightmare on elmstreets,Halloweens,etc.I think the Saw franchise is in the same vein as the others and will be memorable to a new breed of horror fans.IMO.