IGN reviews Ichi the Killer...

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by Erg0n, Dec 7, 2003.

1. Erg0n

Erg0n My Baby Picture

In a House that's Up My Butt In A Cellar, Canada
    http://dvd.ign.com/articles/442/442478p1.html?fromint=1

A lot of miike fans are pretty pissed off at this review. I personally don't mind him bashing it, but I must say that this review is poorly done. Sounds like someone straight out of highschool whose scope of asian cinema spans bruce lee flicks and teh occational anime yu-gi-oh, pokemon, sailor moon.

2. Wermode

Wermode Member

"Audio: All too icky and squishy. The English language dub stinks"

Tough to take a reviewer seriously when he thinks the words "icky and squishy" are suitable descriptors for audio quality. Even worse, what moron judges the quality of a film (much less its audio) based on the English dub? Finally, expecting a Japanese director to conform to American ideals of political correctness is naive and ethnocentric. What an idiot.

3. Pukenstein

Pukenstein Member

1 or 2 discs... in the SE?

4. ScarredGod

ScarredGod Guest

pretty funny review. since Tarantino is brought up in the review, how long before we see items from this film ripped off by Tarantino? im sorry, paid homage to, rolls eyes. If Tarantino did the stuff in Ichi, it would be hailed.

5. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

That review was retarded, give me a break!

Just as a note, I let one of my film professors borrow this. He hated Kill Bill, he said that Kill Bill was too irresponsible and misogynistic, and yet thought Ichi was quite fun and silly. Go fig.

I agree. Well, maybe Kill Bill wasn't irresponisble and misogynistic enough!

Last edited: Dec 15, 2003
  6. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Yeah I watched the disc not too long ago and it was decent enough. I didn't love the movie as much as some, and there is some HORRIBLE CGI, but it has some cool moments. In the commentary, Miike mentions Tarantino is a big fan, so perhaps there will be something there in the future.

The SE is 1 disc. There's a commentary, some trailers, and maybe a small photo gallery; DD 5.1 English and Japanese; and it's uncut in anamorphic widescreen.

7. Ichi

Ichi Guest

Retarded review, man!

I wanna see the reviewer hanging from the roof with meat hooks through his skin...

8. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

While I don't expect every review for Ichi to be glowing, I find it hard to believe anyone could rate it a 2 out of 10. I love this movie and it battles constantly with Dawn of the Dead and the Lord of the Rings trilogy as my personal favorite. Sure you can find flaws with Ichi, but I think it is undeniably well made and accomplishes what it sets out to do, and that is shock the viewer. I'm quite sure I saw an interview with Miike somewhere that he stated his goal in making Ichi was to make an over the top film. He did just that, and in grand style.

9. Luna

Luna Guest

This guy is an absolute fucking idiot, and when he brought up Tarantino (I suppose he is the guy's only point of reference for violent films? Sad!) I just rolled my eyes.

10. zombi3

zombi3 Pure Evil

Shit, I didn't even know this disc had an English track!

11. Gnaghi

Gnaghi Guest

guess you didn't actually read the review, you know where he says the english dub is horrible and to stick with the japanese track.

12. h8sh8

h8sh8 Guest

13. Wermode

Wermode Member

Hmmm...guess you didn't read all the way to the bottom, where the film is summarized and actually scored: "The Audio: All too icky and squishy. The English language dub stinks."

As I said, he scores the film based on the quality of the English dub.

14. Gnaghi

Gnaghi Guest

lol, he rates the whole disc's audio, but adds his opinion that the english track sucks aswell. he just forget to put too at the end of that sentence. if he was just talking about the dub he wouldn't have mention the japanese track at all in the audio review portion. if you don't see that then just forget i said anything.

15. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    IMHO Miike is so overrated! I haven't really enjoyed any of his films, this one included.

16. Andrew

Andrew Guest

The English dub is hilarious, rivaling the one from VERSUS in the "watch this high and never stop laughing" camp.

17. Ichi is a great movie.

Way too crazy and violent for the average viewer (a catagory that the reviewer fits into in my opinion).