I wonder if microsoft xbox 360 will go blu ray now that hd-dvd is fading out!

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by fceurich39, Feb 24, 2008.

1. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

I read over at xbox360 forums that rumors are starting to circulate that microsoft might make a blu ray add on down the road anyone else think so?

2. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

They're making noises about moving their hi-def plans to downloads rather than BR. We'll see.

3. Noto

Noto Guest

They've had HD downloadable movies on their servers for almost two years now.

The big deal currently is that they just acquired the MGM collection and are slowly releasing those on Xbox Live as well.

4. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I think they will just stick to the downloads- their HD movie library has been getting bigger and bigger- I dont think they have any need to come up with a blu-ray add on-

5. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

I don't see Microsoft joining forces with their biggest competitor (Sony, who owns Blu-Ray) just because HD-DVD failed. The 360 wasn't touted as the end-all, be-all of home entertainment systems.

6. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

That does seem rather backwards if Microsoft did go that route. Maybe they could lower there price tag for their systems at any rate. I still want to get a 360.

7. Fistfuck

You can get the 360 Arcade for $270 I think. I'm eyeing that one up once I pass some debt like a bad kidney stone.

8. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

That's about right price wise. I just want the price to go down to at most $200 for the core version.

9. Fistfuck

Yeah my concern is the games. $60 for new games is just too much for a cheap bastard like me who buys everything secondhand on Amazon and Ebay. However, I just can't wait to sit down with Bioshock, Mass Effect, Eternal Sonata, Blue Dragon, Fallout 3, Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway, and Lost Odessey.

10. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

I question just what the hell people are thinking when buying an add-on to a system that is about as reliable as a used rubber in a pit of needles.

11. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Yeah the Red Rings of Death syndrome is pretty shitty. I bought my Xbox 360 from my brother, whom already had it sent off to get it fixed. I really hope it doesn't fuck up on me.
    If Xbox did come out with a blu-ray add on, I doubt I'd go for it. I'd just purchase a PS3 and be done with it. :D

FistFuck, I'm with you on the game prices. I won't pay anything over $30 for a game, $20 if it's used. With the Xbox 360, I've found quite a few games that fall into that range. I picked up Dead Rising for $30 new the other day, and that game alone is worth getting a Xbox 360!

12. Noto

Noto Guest

My 360 system never had a single issue.

13. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

For as long as this system has been out, the new game prices (around $60) is too much to ask. $50 is about what I'd pay for a new game on release day in the past but since there is a whole back catalog of 360 games out now at a reduced price, when I do get a 360 I won't be getting many if any super new games for the system. Rather, I'd go for the Platinum Hits and older cheaper games.

14. Fistfuck

Yeah, man. Some of the prices people pay for some OOP Atlus games are insane. DefJeffffff and I often talk about it. I bet the boneheads who just paid $80 for a copy of Persona 3 feel like morons now that they're rereleasing the game at $30.

15. Noto

Noto Guest

True, but if anyone makes games worth dropping $80 on, it's Atlus.

16. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

You must be a very very lucky person. I've talked to more people who had the RROD than who didn't.

17. Noto

Noto Guest

People with problems are also more vocal than people who don't. I know quite a few people who never had red rings and got their system at launch. Plus, many of the people who did get the rings did so from tipping the system with the game in it. Of course, they admit this to me but not Microsoft; not that I would blame them.

The 360 is a flawed product, but it also seems that the occurrences have dwindled quite a bit.

18. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Just for the record the 360 issues are all about gone now- early on they rushed it out to beat the ps3 by a year (which was smart and worked business wise) - I know I had to trade two in at best buy- My last premium unit and now my elite have never had an issue- but that first year or two they did have several issues- they made some attempt to do the right thing by extending the warranty for everyone to 3 years and the new units for that last year to year and a half are about on par with the ps3s coming out- I own both a ps3 and 360 elite currently and they both are great machines- xbox has a lot of little features that mean a lot to me that the ps3 doesnt have and more games- the ps3 was built right from the get go and is slowly getting better and I love the blu ray built in it (and i loove tekken which is big too) - for gaming the xbox 360 is still miles ahead- for movies the ps3 is better obviously, although even after hd-dvd died the hi-def xbox live rental/downloads is pretty darn good- I love my ps3 but I am still irritated it doesnt upscale a loooot of games to 1080i since I have a very nice (but about 5 years old) hd set that does 1080i and not 720p- xbox live blows the playstation online away but to get everything you do have to pay like 42.00 for 13 months while the ps3 online is free (hopefully the new "home" online thing by sony will be worth the wait) - I have never bought a gaming console without a warranty from the store though- especially when they first come out

Last edited: Mar 5, 2008
  19. There are a lot of great games that are very inexpensive. I'm playing Ghost Recon (the first one) right now and loving it, and it was $10 at Gamestop. If you check reviews for games that came out last year, you can find top tier games that might only cost $10 or $20 now. I also got Bioshock and Darkness brand new from Gamestop for $60 total on one of their weekly specials. Also, keep an eye on Best Buy, because every once in a while they'll have a great deal on newer games--I picked up Call of Duty 4 for $44 about a month back. The 360 has so many awesome titles that with a little luck you can find plenty of great games for a fraction of the cost of a new game.

Also, count me as one of those who have never had any problems with my 360. I had one friend (out of several 360 owners I know) who had to send his unit in for repairs, but he had his unit repaired and returned within two weeks of it's premature demise at no expense to him. Sure it sucks to have to go without your console for a few weeks, but at least the problem was taken care of quickly and with minimal hassle.

20. Reverenddave

Reverenddave Member

I just got a 360 last month. So you'll have to take my input with a grain of salt.

First, if you're going to buy an Xbox 360, I'd strongly recommend you get one with a hard drive. Downloading game demos and videos is a huge part of the gaming experience these days. And you can't do that with a memory card. Also, some games require a hard drive for online play.

I've noticed as an owner of both systems that the 360 really isn't any cheaper than the PS3. Sure, the console itself costs less. But the add-on costs keep adding up. To play online you pay a $45 annual subscription (PS3 is free). You need a 360 hard drive and that's an extra $80-$180 (with PS3 you can use any laptop HD). You want a wireless 360 headset and that's $50 (PS3 uses almost any bluetooth headset). Add a rechargeable battery for the wireless controller and that's $15-$25 (PS3 controllers have a built-in battery). The 360's wireless adapter is $100 (PS3 has wireless built into the console). And with all the 360 problems, you might want to think about an extended warranty, which adds another $50. It's one thing after another, and you have to buy overpriced, glitchy Microsoft products.

One thing the 360 has going for it over the PS3 is the number of great games. And many of them are available for under $20-$30. Especially if you're willing to buy games used. For $20 or less I've gotten Crackdown, Dead Rising, F.E.A.R., Call Of Duty 2 & 3, The Darkness, Splinter Cell: Double Agent, Lost Planet and a few others. For under $35 I've gotten The Simpsons, Orange Box, Bioshock, Gears Of War, Lego Star Wars: Complete Saga, Mass Effect and Call Of Duty 4.

RROD continues to be a problem, even with the new Falcon chipset. Microsoft had a console RROD while on display at the GDC two weeks ago. CheapAssGamer recently conducted a poll, and with over 3,200 votes so far, 60% of them had at least one 360 console break. So I wouldn't pass that off as a vocal minority. And while RROD receives most of the attention, another common problem for the 360 is scratched discs. Despite all of the 360's numerous problems, it's still extremely popular. That says a lot about how good the system is for gamers, which are a notoriously bitchy bunch.

Back to the original topic. It wouldn't surprise me to see a Blu-Ray add-on for the 360. Unless they're going to develop a new method of game media, Microsoft is going to need Blu-Ray for their next console. I've seen dates of 2010-2012 for the next Xbox. Allegedly, some developers are already planning games for the new system. They're going to need Blu-Ray sooner or later, so they might as well jump on the bandwagon.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2008