I Spit on Your Grave ('78 & '10) coming Feb 8

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by blu, Nov 12, 2010.

1. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Will assume that window will still be open tomorrow for VS. ;) I threw a brick through mine.

CPT HOOK likes this.
  2. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Fortunately, I'm a VS subscriber, so I already took that hit last November.

Arrow will be announcing their December lineup tomorrow as well, which is rumored to include a fancy special edition of the first Tremors.

baggio likes this.
  3. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

$60 is indeed a little high. $39.99 and I'd be considering it.

And my money this week goes not to VS, but to Record Store Day drop #2

4. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I'm more interested in that UK box set at this stage.

5. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

If the slightly cheaper UK set is confirmed as being uncut then this US set is an extremely hard sell even if the new 4K restoration is exclusive to it because you’re getting significantly more for your money with the UK set and iirc the old BD looked pretty good so it would only need to match that to be worth it.

6. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Unfortunately it looks like the 1978 film in the UK set will be heavily "cut" by the BBFC again: https://www.bbfc.co.uk/releases/i-spit-your-grave-1978

[​IMG]

So even though it's a 6-disc set and cheaper, most US fans probably wouldn't want it...unless you'd want both sets for completionist reasons.

russweiss and f.ramses like this.
  7. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

I was afraid that might be the case, it's too bad they couldn't have gone all out with the US set because now I don't want to buy either.

russweiss, Katatonia and Zombie Dude like this.
  8. Zombie Dude

Really? I thought the UK had gotten over their old days of cutting up films? I managed to finally watch the original this year and didn't think it was over the top or anything. It's no Cannibal Holocaust which I did re-watch recently and thought was worse than I remembered.

9. Katatonia

I guess they aren't as bad as they once were. It shows in 2001 they cut over 7 minutes from the film, and when it was last submitted for a rating in 2010 they cut right under 3 minutes from the film. Now they're down to under 2 minutes cut in 2020, so they've let more than a minute more back into the film. By 2025 or 2030 it should be uncut in the UK perhaps. o_O

10. Zombie Dude

I don't recall it being overly graphic so I'm wondering what they cut? Seems pretty ridiculous in 2020 regardless. Do these folks at the BBFC not know the internet exists or something?

russweiss, Steel76 and Katatonia like this.
  11. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't understand why they still exist. We don't even have a board of censors anymore, over here in Sweden, as they finally shut their doors in 2010, it was just pointless to keep that ancient shit alive, since they hadn't touch the scissors since the mid 90:s.

BBFC is still not happy about sexual violence, and that's why they still cut the movie. Maybe they'll release it uncut 20 years from now :D

f.ramses likes this.
  12. sinister

sinister Active Member

Yes, it's "sexual violence" (whatever that is) we must be protected from apparently, so I knew the UK release would be cut. The way things are going with political polarisation and media sensationalism ramping up every year I can actually see an eventual return to the "something must be done", "ban this filth" days of the early 80's which brought us the great "video nasties" scare. And yeah, the internet will be the target by then.

If you have very deep pockets I guess the ideal solution with these new ISOYG releases would be to buy both sets and replace the cut disc in the UK set with the US version. I think I'll look for an HD download first and give it another watch before chucking £50+ at it.

f.ramses, Katatonia and Steel76 like this.
  13. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

I used to have the old blu-ray, but I sold it, when I got rid of a bunch of movies.
    Still got the old Elite DVD laying around somewhere.
    It's a movie I might watch once every 10-15 years, only to be reminded of how dull it is.

14. Katatonia

Yeah, it's one "cult" movie that I have a hard time understanding why it's so popular. The movie isn't bad, but it's hardly anything great either.

If Ronin just released the original movie, and left out that horrible Deja Vu (couldn't even finish that one) it might be worth it at a lower price... but I have a hard time willing to lay down $60 for a movie I already own, another disc that I just don't even want, and a 3rd documentary disc that I would probably watch just once ever. It's way overpriced right now. Ronin list nothing at all about this set being "limited" in any way, so it's probably just worth waiting around for one of their eventual sales.

The Anchor Bay Blu-ray already looked pretty good. I paid just $10 for that, and have truthfully only watched it one time in the passing 9 years.

Steel76 likes this.
  15. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Zombie Dude, russweiss and sinister like this.
  16. Zombie Dude

Also, back to this apparently being cut; didn't Arrow release the two Nekromantik movies plus Schramm uncut in the UK? Those movies are vile and 100 times worse than anything in I Spit on Your Grave. Where's the consistency?

17. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Like censorship in the U.S. there is no consistency. Other than basic "guidelines" it all boils down to the human emotions at the time it is viewed.

18. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I don't like the BBFC. But I will stand up for the fact that they use a set of rules to make their decisions, it will probably lead to some inconsistences but there should be more transparency regarding the rules and the reasons why. They normally provide detailed reasoning if a film has been cut and an essay if the film has been banned. The MPAA on the other hand are a fucking joke, they have no rules and go by feelings. Cutting one frame that makes no fucking difference in a million years just to justify there payments and never giving anybody proper guidelines that they can work against.

The BBFC don't like animal cruelty and sexualised violence. I think the sexualised violence is more to do with rape than anything else and from what I remember of necromantik (I've not seen it for ages) there's no rape as technically the corpse can't say no!!!

Also 'I spit on your grave' was a video nasty in the UK so there will always be this stigma when people see that title. Necromantik was not around in the 80's so most main stream people have never heard of it and would have no idea what it was about.

19. Zombie Dude

It still seems weird to me that a film about fucking corpses is fine to go uncut in the UK but rape is where they draw the line? Also, a lot of these rape revenge films end with the victim, you know, getting revenge; so it has a bit of this feel good effect when the attackers get what's coming to them, in the same way we root for John Wick brutally killing people because of what what they took from him. I'd be interested to know exactly what they cut on the UK print for ISOYG because assuming the version I saw was uncut, I don't remember anything really standing out as graphic or over the top. If anything, I thought it was a lot tamer than all the controversy would have you believe. I bet the remake was more graphic.

20. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I've always thought that I Spit on Your Grave was relatively tame, other than tone, considering the infamy it has received. What could have been the most graphic scene in the film is left to the imagination of the viewer as it's done underwater. I'm relatively sure you have seen the uncut version.

Zombie Dude likes this.