I Am Legend prequel confirmed

Discussion in 'General' started by Spit, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Spit

Spit Active Member

2. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

:gay: The last movie was awful. Since it's a prequel they should go back in time and use old school effects, instead of those cheap CG Sci Fi Channel looking zombies. And make them not climb walls like Spidey, unless they are going to be wearing Spider-Man costumes, then it's okay.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2008
  3. Mattapooh

Mattapooh Member

Really enjoyed the first flick aside from the awfully CGI vampires. I think the difference is that I went into the movie not expecting an actual adaptation of I Am Legend and just wanted to see a decent post-apocalyptic action flick, which is what it was. I'm really just into seeing solitary people going around doing their day-to-day routine when they're completely alone, be it Will Smith or even Wall*E (opening half hour of that flick was neat).

4. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I would assume the prequel will deal with the plague itself. Just a guess as I haven't seen the film, just The Last Man on Earth and Omega Man.

But can you blame me? How can anyone take Will Smith over Vincent Price or Charles Heston?

5. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

Just as Richard Matheson was pulling his pants back over his bleeding rectum and staggering back to his feet, Will Smith and crew boot shove him back to the ground for another round of buggering.

6. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately his other terrible movie Hancock will probably get some sort of sequal or prequal too since it somehow made good money at the box office- I loved his TV show and even liked his goofy rap stuff when I was younger- but I have not been a fan of his as far as an actor on the big screen (granted not all his movies have been bad- I just havent really cared for any of them) - but he makes money for the studios

Last edited: Sep 27, 2008
  7. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

I am Legend was pretty damn horrible. And Will Smith isn't worth watching either. A Prequel? I actually tasted a little bit of puke then.....

8. Spacevis

Spacevis Well-Known Member

Smith is not a bad actor, it just depends on the movie he 's in. Most of the movies he picks are crap (in the case of Hancock, ultra-crap), but he has done some good movies to and I think he's part of what makes those films great.

An I am Legend prequel could be interesting, but ... sigh ... oh well, at least it's not a remake.

9. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

He hasn't made a film that actually required acting for quite some time.

10. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

I disagree here. While overall I did not enjoy the movie, Will Smith was not the reason in my opinion. From what I have read, a lot of actors feed and play off each other as they act. In this role, for most of the film, it was just him up there (save the dog) trying to keep the movie together, which is not an easy task. Did I think I was seeing Robert Neville off the pages from the novel in Will Smith? No, but saying he wasn't required to act here sounds like a lot unfair blame.

Now you can do all the hate'n you want on "Wild, Wild West." That was just terrible.

11. Criswell

Criswell New Member

It was certainly the weakest of the 3.

Hopefully the prequal will ditch the CGI and focus on the actual machinations of setting himself up as a survivor.

12. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

What film has he made in recent times that's been good?

13. Spacevis

Spacevis Well-Known Member

The Pursuit of Happyness

14. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

Each to their own mate. As soon as i read the synopsis: "A heartwarming film that demonstrates how good, hard-working people can become homeless almost overnight, Pursuit of Happyness is a tour-de-force showcase for Will Smith, who convincingly portrays a down-and-out dad trying to better his family's life." I get a funny feeling in my stomach - like something is going to work its way back up. I often react that way to coldly calculated tearjerkers.

His last six films were:

• Hancock
    • I am Legend
    • Pursuit of Happiness
    • Hitch
    • I Robot
    • Bad Boys II
    Which is not, in my estimation, a career doing anything other than pandering to mainstream Hollywood cinema audiences. Which is fine for them, but I'd rather not bother. He needs to stop making these CGI-fest sci-fi films, he's doing the genre no good at all.

Still, each to their own.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2008
  15. Rockmjd

Rockmjd Guest

The Pursuit of Happyness was a great performance by Smith, is his best movie, and a well-deserved Oscar nomination. I actually liked I Am Legend more than his other 'action' movies like Independence Day, Men in Black, I Robot. etc.
    That being said, a prequel seems like a dumb idea.

16. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

IMO, Six Degrees of Separation is his only truly good performance, and that was some time ago. I'm not at all surprised the Oscar people liked Pursuit, since it's the usual sentimental, tearjerker claptrap that passes for intelligent mainstream cinema these days - but personally, I think it's one step up from those afternoon TV movies they used to make.

Six Degrees is worth checking out. Smith's career is a perfect example of how decent actors pander to the system in order to make money and gain fame. Now he's bulked up (coz we have no decent muscle bound morons to act in "action" flicks these days) and he's delivering dialog meant for a children's comic book.

Well, that's how I see it. :D

17. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Hey, let's not insult children's comic books here. We all know their dialogue is much better.

18. rhett

rhett Well-Known Member

What is a post-apocalyptic movie if you take out the post and the apocalypse? I don't get the logic here at all, or why anyone would want to see this. Like if there's a scene with Neville taking his dog for a walk as subtext, then I seriously retire from watching new horror movies. A non-Smith sequel about trying to annihilate the rest of the infected survivors would be much more interesting, but still not really wanted. I'd wager this is the dumbest idea Hollywood has ever had. What are they going to call it? I Am An Ordinary Married Man? The Pursuit of Wealthyness more like it.

19. Regurgitate

Regurgitate New Member

The prequel should be so far back in time that it has nothing to do with the "I am legend" story and the Will Smith character could not appeat in it. :D

20. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

I liked Will Smith's performance in the 1st, but the story is over. I will not be seeing this prequel.