How do you manage your movie collections?

Discussion in 'General' started by Horrorphilly, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

What a complete waste of money. You should simply buy a download...and you wonder why we don't have brick and mortar stores anymore.

2. Dave

Dave Pimp

I wish I could! If we can ever buy a legit bluray isos, I'll be first in line. Digital download = shitty compression and no extras. No thanks.

P.S. I never wondered about b&m. Long live Amazon!

russweiss and Zombie Dude like this.
  3. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Looking back I answered 3 years ago with: "Alphabetically with every format (VHS, DVD, Blu) mixed together. Double/triple features come after Z and TV shows after those. I keep multiple copies if they have exclusive bonus features and leave them on the shelf next to the newer editions."

My collection is still organized like that, although now I keep extra copies of movies (older editions with exclusive bonus features) behind the most recent release because I ran out of shelf space having all the spines out. I also now have a small Laserdisc collection I put at the end of TV shows. Because of their size they won't mix in well with the rest of the collection (too tall for the regular shelves which are only DVD height and they'd stick way out). Everything sits on matching shelves along a wall in my home office. Specific quirks of my collection: If a movie has a sequel, the sequel goes right after the original in order of release. Can't have Army of Darkness on a different shelf than Evil Dead. I also keep track of everything I own on DVD Profiler (link in my signature).

4. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I once put some DVD's in one of those CD holders that is like a book and holds 50 discs - all the DVD's ended up ruined. They had these weird tarnish type of stains on the playing side. I learned my lesson there. Don't trust.
    These days, I have no room for a movie shelf. I had to downsize to a studio apartment a few years ago so all my movies are in plastic storage totes. If I want to watch a movie, I have 15 of those to rummage and find a flick.

5. Spacevis

Spacevis Well-Known Member

I keep my discs in a flight case with numbered sleeves (have had this case for a few years now, hasn't ruined any discs so far). The covers I keep in binders. The covers are alphabetically organized, but I put a little sticker on them with the number of the corresponding sleeve. I can browse my collection by flipping through the covers in the binders and when I've decided on what to watch, I just look up the corresponding sleeve in the flight case. Box sets and criterions are kept in their original boxes and are stored in a small closet, alphabetically.

Also, I keep all the slip covers, booklets and inserts in a shoe box!

6. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I have to agree here. I can't wait till they scrap these useless digital downloads. A big pet peeve of mine is that they list the digital code on the cover, just for a piece of paper with a code. Can't they use a sticker to let people who care know it comes with a digital copy? So irritating. They seem so pointless anyway as you lose quality and the host site can remove your digital file whenever they want so what's the point? Also, if you buy international you can't use those codes as even they are region restricted which is also a massive joke.
    Ripping the whole disc to PC is definitely the better option if you have that ability as like you say, you get all the special features plus the same high quality image off the disc.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  7. Dave

Dave Pimp

Yup, spot on. I wish they had options for people like me that have zero interest in a physical disc but still wants everything on the physical disc. I'm sure I represent a tiny fraction of home theater enthusiasts. As it is, my only option is to do it the way I'm doing it. And really, I'm okay with it. It doesn't take long to clone the bluray disc to my PC and then copy it to an external drive. With an 8tb drive costing $225 (saw them $175 Black Friday), that's not exactly an expensive way to store ~150+ BD50 discs. And as we know, a good chunk of horror (Full Moon) ends up on BD25. I think I'm only using half of it right now and a lot of it was chewed up from the NOES, Friday, and Halloween collections.

Zombie Dude likes this.