Horror Streaming Screambox vs Shudder etc

Discussion in 'General' started by othervoice1, Oct 12, 2015.

1. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

To be fair I was experiencing a similar problem using the Shudder app on my Roku before I switched to AMC+ on Apple TV. The only way I was ever able to see everything that Shudder had available was to use the app on my phone.

2. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Actually, scratch that. Shudder on the AMC app is a severely limited selection. There are a ton of movies on Shudder that I can’t access. Fuck.

3. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

Picked up and really enjoyed creepshow season 2 on DVD. Any idea when season 3 comes out on disc?

4. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

Joe Bob Ruins Christmas was the first Joe Bob special that's come on since I signed up for AMC+. I thought it would be on there Saturday, but I didn't see it show up until this morning. Sunday morning probably isn't the ideal time for most people to watch a late night drive-in themed show, but I was fine with it because it usually takes me a couple hours to decide what to do or watch on Sundays anyway. Plus, it's easier to just watch the Joe Bob parts if I'm not into the movie their showing because I can fast forward. It worked out today because I got to skip the first movie Ice Cream Man, which is a movie I think kind of sucks and jump right into the second movie Gator Bait which I thought was actually quite good. It wasn't a movie I was ever particularly interested in watching and I might not have ever seen it if not for Joe Bob.

So far the $2 a month deal is working out okay for me, they might be missing some movies (hard to really check because the app kinda sucks), but I already own most of the older movies Shudder gets, so I'm mostly in it for Joe Bob and the newer releases anyway.

5. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

The Last Drive In usually isn't up for streaming till the Sunday following the airing.

As for Shudder, once again, they're showing a movie I bought recently only because it wasn't available for me to stream or rent (Shudder, Netflix, Netflix DVD/Blu). A few weeks ago it was Just Before Dawn, this week it's Devil Times Five.

6. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

How did Gator Bait look? I have the DVDs of the first two from a few years back, but wondering if maybe it finally got a nice HD transfer.

7. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

it was 4x3, if that tells you anything.

CPT HOOK and Katatonia like this.
  8. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

If it's still with the Sebastians and licensed from them, then that's not too much of a surprise.

9. CPT HOOK

February 3rd - Slapface

February 10th - All The Moons

fceurich39 and Colin like this.
  10. CPT HOOK

Vicious Fun is getting a blu-ray release on April 5th.

Definitely one of the more entertaining SHUDDER originals from last year.

fceurich39 and Colin like this.
  11. fceurich39

Superhost was really fun enjoyed it more than Z the directors 2nd movie also a shudder title.

12. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I watched Slapface last night, it was ok, nothing special, it was no frills and moved at a pretty slow pace. I couldn't really recommend it, but I'm sure others will find more enjoyment with it than me.

13. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

Hellbender (2/24) - 16-year-old Izzy leads an isolated life on a lonely mountaintop. All she’s learned is from her protective mom and the wilderness that swallows them. Izzy dreams of a live gig, but her mother thinks she’s too sick and mustn’t be around others. Questioning her illness and starved for companionship, Izzy sneaks down the mountain where she befriends brazen Amber. Izzy is in heaven until a cruel drinking game with a live worm unleashes a new kind of hunger.

They Live in the Grey
    (2/17) - While investigating a child abuse case, a young social worker discovers that a supernatural entity is tormenting the family. To save the parents from losing custody of their child, she must confront her fears and use her clairvoyance to stop the malevolent force.

14. CPT HOOK

I also watched this last night and was pretty mixed on it. I didn't think it was bad, but it's more character study than horror about a young boy growing up into toxic masculinity and the witch is actually a representation of yada yada yada. It even ends with an anti-bullying PSA. I just kind of shrugged when it was over. Fans of movies like Pyewacket will probably dig it though.

15. CPT HOOK

I just won a free blu-ray of Superhost from blu-ray.com. I've never won there before.

Last time I won one of these SHUDDER discs (it was Dread Central I think), I entered, assumed I lost, bought the disc on my own, then won. They didn't even notify me, it just showed up in the mail. So this is perfect because I haven't bought it yet.

othervoice1 and fceurich39 like this.
  16. fceurich39

Congrats on winning I enjoyed the movie one of the better shudder titles out there.

CPT HOOK likes this.
  17. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

"Livid" - from Alexandre Bustillo and Julien Maury - will be coming to Shudder in March. A 2011 film not previously released in North America. Along side a number of other French Extremity classics - Alexandre Aja’s High Tension, Claire Denis’ Bastards and Trouble Every Day, Lucile Hadzihalilovic’s Evolution, Xavier Gens’ Frontier(s), and Pascal Laugier’s Martyrs.

fceurich39 and Paff like this.
  18. fceurich39

Feb 15 screambox will begin airing all 44 episodes of Freddy's Nightmares

19. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

Has anyone watched any of the new Shudder stuff this year? The last several movies they've put out have all looked like they're more dramas with a little bit of horror thrown in for the hell of it. They Live in the Grey, All the Moons, that lesbian thing with the girl from Orphan, none of them have really looked particularly interesting to me.

I watched Roh this month (I did a double feature of that and the Indonesian Hellraiser knockoff which is also called Roh), not a super original movie, but it was a pretty good watch. Also, it's from Malaysia, so that's fun. I don't think I've seen a Malaysian movie before. I have a personal goal to watch movies from as many different countries as possible, I think I'm at around 50 or so.

20. CPT HOOK

I think Slapface might be the only one I've watched this year? I wasn't wowed by it, like I said above, it reminded me of Pyewacket. I've been meaning to watch Last Thing Mary Saw but haven't gotten to it yet. Today's new one sounded interesting, but I noticed the running time and OOMPH! over 2 hours. I've kind of been feeling the same way you have, where some of these feel more like obligations rather than things I actually want to watch. The last ones I really enjoyed were from last summer, with Vicious Fun, Slasher: Flesh & Blood, The Boy Behind The Door, and Superhost. Nothing especially of interest since then.

They do have a strong selection regardless of their originals though. They recently added My Heart Can't Beat Unless You Tell It To from last year, which was a neat and well-done little indie that seemed to fly under a lot of radars. It's from several years ago, but they added The Conspiracy not too long ago, which is a great little gem too few people saw. The finale actually scared me, which is hard to do. I thought I saw Blood Conscious on one of their Coming Soon lists, which is another great little indie to look out for. It feels authentically like a '70s exploitation movie without forcing fake aesthetics. It's free on Tubi right now if you can't wait.