Horror Streaming Screambox vs Shudder etc

Discussion in 'General' started by othervoice1, Oct 12, 2015.

1. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I enjoyed it. Would I buy it? No. It's free on Shudder.

fceurich39 likes this.
  2. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

Screambox, apparently, has just relaunched in conjunction with Bloody-Disgusting.

3. maybrick

Wow, their library of films is… not good. Shudder may have some drawbacks, but it is way better than Screambox.

Colin likes this.
  4. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Is it just me, or did SHUDDER have a pretty lackluster October this year? I think V/H/S/94 was the only time I've gone in this month.

They used to do weekly movie premieres, but I guess weekly episodes of Creepshow have taken their place.

5. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

"The Medium" premiered on the 14th. A pretty good faux documentary/found film from Thailand.

6. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Well, last year Shudder was all about "Premieres!" during October, and THOSE turned out to be rather lackluster so I think this year they may have wanted to emphasize quality over quantity. I know I'd rather they add one great movie instead of five shitty ones.

The other thing to consider is that movies coming out now would likely have been shot around 2020, and something happened in 2020 but I can't quite remember what it was...

7. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

Picked up and Watched Skull the mask pretty brutal gory film loved it!

hots4 likes this.
  8. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I've looked at this a couple of times and left it, after your comments here it will be next on my list!

9. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

You can get Shudder right now for $1.99 a month as a "Black Friday" bundle deal, if you pay for a year in advance ($23.88) with AMC+

https://www.amcplus.com/

Pretty good deal for it, since you get a bundle that also includes AMC+, Sundance Now, BBC America, IFC Films Unlimited

I'm not sure when it expires, but it wouldn't surprise me if it ends after today.

10. maybrick

At the moment we have AMC+ for free for six months due to my wife buying an new iphone. Over all it’s worth it because it’s only a few bucks more than just subscribing to Shudder, and you get access to the Walking Dead episodes a week before broadcast plus new episodes of Doctor Who.

11. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

I've been paying $6 a month or whatever the price is for Shudder for like 2 years now, I keep forgetting to sign up for the yearly deal. I'll have to jump on this deal and cancel my monthly plan.

12. Azathoth

Azathoth Member

I recently signed up for this and... good lord the AMC+ app is pure dogshit. You're forced to use the catch-all AMC+ app, you don't have the option to use Shudder by itself.

The AMC+ app doesn't integrate properly with the Amazon Firestick frontend so searching for something through there doesn't show results from AMC+, yet it these same results are fetched from the Shudder app without issue.

Additionally, serious question: how the hell do you even browse movies on AMC+? Going to explore, then movies will allow you an A-Z option, but that only shows a fraction of what's actually there.

13. Katatonia

Yeah, turns out that's the bad thing about it. You can't use the separate apps, you have to get everything through the AMC+ app.

The AMC+ app loaded fine on my Firestick 4K, but I haven't tried searching on the frontend yet.

As far as browsing movies, it looks like there is the "New" or "A-Z" option... and at the top of the page is a manual search tool to type it in. I guess it'll take some getting used to, but I can live with it for the price.

14. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

Yeah, I was going to sign up for this since it was so cheap but then it didn't sound like it was going to let me stream it through a browser (didn't actually say one way or another...) so I didn't bother. I lose interest in things like this as soon as I start hearing about or get the impression that they're going to want me to install some bs just to stream some videos.

15. maybrick

I know nothing about the amazon firestick, but in the AMC+ app on the AppleTV You can get to the Shudder collection along with BBC America and the others in the menu. It can be a little difficult to locate at first but its there.

16. Katatonia

I found the Shudder stuff pretty easily in the AMC+ app. It doesn't seem that much different than the Shudder app when you know where to find it and just scroll down...I didn't have much of a problem finding the stuff I needed to. Same with the BBC & IFC portions of the menu.

17. maybrick

I think it’s missing the live feeds though which kind of sucks.

18. Katatonia

Really? There was a "Live" option I clicked on which showed IFC and a few others. I thought sure one was for Shudder, but I'd have to double check.

Edit: yep, you're correct.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
  19. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

I signed up last night and the app certainly isn't great. It's hard to see everything they have to offer. There's a view all option, but it doesn't show everything. According to this list: https://letterboxd.com/stephendanay/list/everything-on-shudder-us/ there are currently 534 movies on Shudder, and there were nowhere near that many on the view all screen. I'm okay with it for $2 a month though, I always use sites like Justwatch.com or Reelgood.com to see what new stuff is on all of my streaming services anyway. I usually check Justwatch daily when I get home so I can see what's new. It sucks that it's missing the option to watch Joe Bob live on Friday, but I think they just show it the following day on AMC+, so I'll just watch it then.

20. Azathoth

Azathoth Member

I found that easy enough, but it only shows curated lists or featured collections and not even a fraction of what's available on the service. There's zero excuse to not have their entire catalog available to browse or grouped by genre. Seems like their "all movies" lists amounts to just Shudder produced exclusives. I'd have no idea that it features several dozen MST3k episodes without searching specifically for them, as they don't show up listed anywhere.

I noticed on the Firestick frontend it shows several episodes of The Last Drive In available on Shudder (Sleepaway Camp, Hellraiser, etc) yet searching for them on the AMC+ app only yields holiday specials, are they not on there?