Horror films you liked as a kid. but didn't hold up as an adult??

Discussion in 'General' started by ronnie21, Aug 20, 2016.

1. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

I think it's a matter of having nearly worn out my vhs copies as a child.
    I mean some of these I'll still watch once in a blue moon. My horror obsession started quite young at probably 5 or 6, so films like The Beast Must Die! and Octaman still have a certain nostalgic appeal but really I'm not convinced that they were ever great films though my childhood self would disagree.
    I see the merit in films like Dracula 79, but again as a child it blew me away, now there are adaptations I prefer such as Horror Of... by Hammer.
    I have the upcoming Hammer box on pre-order and will probably buy the BR of Salem's Lot too.
    At 43, I've just seen too many slasher films of varying quality to really re-visit any but the classics.
    I still watch The Shining, The Exorcist, The Thing and lesser known films like The Car and Alligator quite regularly so all is not lost.

Myron Breck and Harry Warden like this.
  2. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

Gotta respect Anthropophagus' honesty.

Anthropophagus likes this.
  3. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Well I already said this in another thread bit I'll add it here too.
    Recently I tried to watch Phenomena and Tenebre and it was a struggle at some points. I can see why I enjoyed them as a teen but the bad dialogue stands out like a sore thumb now. Plus his use of music in some scenes is terrible. There's a metal/rock tune that plays in Phenomena that sounds extremely out of place and even drowns out some dialogue when it cuts to two people talking as they walk through some sort of mental asylum.
    It's pretty saddening as I used to love these one's.

4. Anthropophagus

Thanks man.

5. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Did Hammer make any slashers?

Any films that could be deemed slashers by 70's standards?

6. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Weirdly I'm the opposite. I mostly revere those childhood gems. And because I watch movies from all eras/countries all the time I tend to sit down and put in context. I never saw Sweet 16 until the Blu arrived but I sat down and thought: "early 80s indie slasher", then let the film be what it was. And it hit all the right notes.

7. MisterTwister

I honestly cannot think of one movie that doesn't work for me now. That's because I hold onto the child in me. There's nothing I hate more than a cynical adult.

8. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

I would say that Dr. Jekyll and Sister Hyde comes pretty damn close. Anchor Bay released it early on as part of their Hammer Horror collection. It's the one damn DVD I didn't buy before it went OOP. Would love to see a re-release of that title.

DVD-fanatic-9 likes this.
  9. cgay2

cgay2 Member

I will be slapped for this. For me the two titles that really stand out I loved as a kid but as I got older don't really hold me the same way or the love is gone. Is Monster Squad and Killer Klowns from Outer Space sure there fun little B movies but I don't get overly excited about them anymore infact I find them annoying at some times. Especially Monster Squad I am tired of hearing it's a lost classic I will take Creeps any day over this

Harry Warden and Zombie Dude like this.
  10. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Get off my lawn!!!

11. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Yeah I'm right with you on Monster Squad. Creeps is way better. MS definitely got annoying last time I revised it and I ended up just selling my DVD.

DVD-fanatic-9 likes this.
  12. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

This. I'm a cynical adult but when I sit down and watch The Dark or The Car or The Beast Within I'm the kid that watched them on cable way back again.

Angelman and Myron Breck like this.
  13. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Conclusive proof that Marshall Crenshaw is not posting as MisterTwister

Zombie Dude likes this.
  14. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

I'm probably gonna get burned at the stake for this.
    But I just can't get through the F13 and Elmstreet movies anymore.
    I used to love most of them, during my childhood, teens and 20:s.
    But now, I get bored and turn them off after about 15-20 minutes.
    I still enjoy My Bloody Valentine, The Burning, The Prowler, as they have have held up better too me.
    I guess, because they just feels darker and more brutal, while especially the later F13 and Elm Street movies, became t0o jokey and MTV flashy.
    I still feel some nostalgia for F13 part 2, which was my favorite of them all, but sadly, even that one rarely get a watch all the way through.
    Maybe I should just wait 20 years or so, before I watch them again ;)

Harry Warden likes this.
  15. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

That's because, other than the originals, they are the same film. The only change is the way in which victims die, but yeah..it's pretty much the same film any way you look at it. I would be bored tears if I watched them 400 times too.;). The others hold up better because they didn't continue for a decade. My Bloody Valentine did get remake,but it was decent and nothing really new. Hey, even I deserve a facelift every once in awhile :D.

Steel76 likes this.
  16. Anthropophagus

Personal taste in film as you get older is an odd thing:
    As a child I loved 'Slithis' despite the prevailing opinion that it is somewhat of a stinker of a film, I recently tried to re-watch it and despite my adoration for the creature feature sub-genre I just could not get through it. I can still however sit through an admitted piece of crap like 'The Capture of Bigfoot' no problem.
    At the same time, I watched 'The Satanic Rites of Dracula' and 'Scars of Dracula' when I was about six and loved those too. Most people will say that they are lesser Hammer entries and I will definitely concur but I can still watch those at any time and be entertained.
    In retrospect many people seem to hold 'The Amityville Horror' in contempt, I still remember as a pre-teen how much that film scared the Hell out of me despite the obvious flaws and admitted cheese factor. Really as a kid could there be a more frightening notion than your own father being possessed by an unseen force and trying to murder your family?
    I still appreciate that film on many levels though I know it's no The Exorcist, watching it several times a year.
    We bought our first VCR way back in 1979 when they were still made of metal, weighed 25 lbs and were top loading. The year pretty much corresponded to the explosion of the slasher craze which began a year previous with 'Halloween' and harkened back to 1974 with 'Black Christmas', consequently every trip to the video store in the coming years resulted in a rental of Final Exam, Open House, Don't Open Til Christmas, To All A Goodnight, My Bloody Valentine, the latest F13, the latest Halloween, you can only watch so much of the same until a level of saturation sets in.
    I don't consider myself cynical at all, no one gets more excited at the announcement of a 'Boy Who Cried Werewolf' blu-ray release as I do.
    However, I don't spend as much time listening to KISS Alive! these days as I did when I was seven or eight either.

17. MisterTwister

I honestly didn't mean my cynical comment as a dig at anyone in this thread. With maybe one or two exceptions I respect the hell out of everyone on here and IMO it takes some guts to come on here and say you don't particularly like a certain popular movie.

indrid13, Steel76 and Anthropophagus like this.
  18. DVD-fanatic-9

We all know the online horror community are fiends for franchises. We didn't all grow up in the 80's, so we don't universally have The Burning as a benchmark. But, if for no other reason than to say we've seen them, we all consider the 4 or 5 major slasher franchises to be compulsory viewing.

Which... Does that bother anybody?

Thirded.

Although, in the kase of Killer Klowns, anyone who doesn't still love that movie is on their own.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  19. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I still remember the MTV hype surrounding NOES 4. Freddy hysteria was everywhere. I saw the film a couple of times in the theaters and still enjoy the first four to this day. I have never been overly fond of any of the Freddy films that followed, including the remake.

Zombie Dude and Steel76 like this.
  20. DVD-fanatic-9

I'm the opposite. Every time I watch The Dream Child and Freddy's Dead now, I become a bigger fan of both.