Horror Blu-ray & DVD Sets Better with Overseas Releases?

Discussion in 'General' started by ImmortalSlasher, Apr 7, 2021.

1. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I saw this collection tour with a bunch of horror sets that I didn't know about.

This company called 84 Entertainment in Germany released leatherbook versions of Italian horror like Suspiria. Another company released a diorama of the Dusk till Dawn bar.

Maybe I'm missing posts about these releases in other topics around here. Or I need to check out that Blu-ray site more often.

Katatonia, russweiss, Steel76 and 2 others like this.
  2. sinister

sinister Active Member

Amazing video but have to say I'm as impressed by the collection as I am unimpressed by the actual movie viewing setup. Seems like the priority is 95% on collecting and 5% on watching.

I have the leatherbook Suspiria, there was definitely a thread on here about it somewhere. It only has 2.0 English audio whereas the Synapse release has 4.0 so is the one to get.

ImmortalSlasher and Steel76 like this.
  3. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I've been ordering from Germany for a while and I have to say there seems to be a movement in this region. Film collection seems to be either on the rise or up there, they have many releases that you don't see anywhere else and in many forms. from the extravagant with a bust (The Basket case bust edition is fantastic!) or equivalent to the mediabook's and then to the normal release. It's not unusual for a title to get 3 or 4 releases in Germany so all collector types are covered.

Horror films I've got from Germany recently on Blu ray that I don't believe are available anywhere else on this format include: Ghost in the machine, Ginger Snaps Trilogy (I know the first is on blu in the states but I don't believe any of the others are on Blu) & The Hitcher to name but a few. I think it's definitely a market to take note of.

I'm sure there are other markets that are releasing a bunch of cool stuff but from my investigations it seems the majority is coming from the German market.

4. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

Had to resort to Germany for a blu of Dead Zone. Pretty good version, even if the oversize mediabook package is annoying.

Not the first or last time I've gone German for a blu. Mostly US and UK have satisfied the hunt, with the occasional foray to Canada. But I've not too infrequently found it necessary to hit Germany for some disks, and have even had to hit France, Spain, and Australia. Seems some releases are VERY regional.

5. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Germany/Austria always seem to have a lot of great packaging and limited editions, but often the actual disc content is subpar in terms of actual quality or compared to other region releases.

6. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

There are quite a few Shaw Brothers blu-rays from Germany. Many have English subtitles but you need to check because some are German sub only.

Katatonia likes this.
  7. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

Yep. Definite buyer beware factor on picture/audio quality. I seem to remember reading some Germany based studios there are little more than glorified boot leggers. I can believe it from the quality I've seen in a few cases. Do your homework regardless, or at least be willing to take your chances.

russweiss and Katatonia like this.
  8. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I'm sure there's a bunch of UK examples like the recent 4k Dawn of the Dead from Second Sight.

9. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I think that's the same everywhere, I've not heard about bootlegs in Germany, I've heard it about Spain as there laws are different. I stay within a set of labels I've had discs from before and are confident of their content like Koch Media, Namless, CMV, Tiberius, Classic Cult Collection and Centuro to name but a few of the more niche labels.

10. ImmortalSlasher

The guy seems to have all the movies he ever purchased from VHS days. Plus other stuff I didn't know about like Blu-rays with Laserdisc cover sized packaging. But he does need to make a bit more room for his actual viewing environment. Seems a bit too close to the screen for me. I could never have that many movies. I went over his youtube and he decided on alphabetizing his collection after he couldn't find a title. I'm surprised he didn't do that from the start with all those aisles like a library.

11. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Not a lot of suggestions happening here :(

12. ImmortalSlasher

I'm still looking over Blu-ray.com and the forums over there.